Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
First you say we don't know enough and with certainty you proclaim there is zero chance of a God. Talk about deny anything!

No he didn't. He said there's zero chance of an Omni-god, not that there is zero chance of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
To me the solar system and the planet Earth are very imperfect. The whole galaxy is imperfect. It resembles the aftermath of some catastrophe.
You know what you would love...watching this movie for free online...I have 2 copies on DVD to hand out...my mouth dropped.
But rem to watch the whole thing bec there is more
than you would expect from the title.
Then, tell me what you think of the solar system....and Kepler..and NASA and computers...
If Transponder would watch he would think differently about wte the Star of Bethlehem really was...according to science!
The same science that even after 10 yrs landed a probe on a moving Asteroid..aka the Rosetta Mission.
You will love this movie...it is not religious, btw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWi0tWKoxo

Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Infinity is math. You don't do math?

"Infinity symbol. The infinity symbol (sometimes called the lemniscate) is a mathematical symbol representing the concept of infinity. "

Eternity is no time, is physics. You don't do science?

"all agree on one essential lesson: the space-time that we inhabit is a construction. It is not fundamental to nature, but emerges from a deeper level of reality."
tossing out the word "infinity" as proof isn't how we work. we only work with what is in front of us. "infinity" is just a whole lot more. Do you understand "fractals"?

we don't work with what we don't know or understand. "just make it more powerful" is not an option. Once we say "imagine it to be more powerful." toss in unicorn and rainbows for color. I like colors.

I always include the opposite, if we have +infinity then we need -infinity, here (-)theism. Imagine an infinite amount of unicorns with rainbow farts ... cool. we can use the word random all we want, the claim of natural infinity milli-mental-think, we will never see them pop into existence.

you are using "infinity" to trick people to make it seem more real. Just like the others do with the word "random" to minimize a claim.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:56 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
tossing out the word "infinity" as proof isn't how we work. we only work with what is in front of us. "infinity" is just a whole lot more. Do you understand "fractals"?

we don't work with what we don't know or understand. "just make it more powerful" is not an option. Once we say "imagine it to be more powerful." toss in unicorn and rainbows for color. I like colors.

I always include the opposite, if we have +infinity then we need -infinity, here (-)theism. Imagine an infinite amount of unicorns with rainbow farts ... cool. we can use the word random all we want, the claim of natural infinity milli-mental-think, we will never see them pop into existence.

you are using "infinity" to trick people to make it seem more real. Just like the others do with the word "random" to minimize a claim.

Infinity is math.
So math is not real? Math is trying to trick people?

And no infinity is NOT "just a whole lot more." The mathematical term for that is "greater than" and it has a different symbol > and different definition than infinity ∞

(Still waiting for your answer to why that "creeps you out" infinity and eternity that is. You said that on another thread a few days ago.)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Infinity is math.

And no infinity is NOT "just a whole lot more."

The mathematical term for that is "greater than" and it has a different symbol > and altogether different definition than infinity ∞
no, infinity is not math ...anymore than a screwdriver is carpentry.

math is just a langue. I tell people all the time, if the math guy can't explain the math in words, the math might be wrong. math is a set of tools that helps us explain, predict, and link ideas on how things work.

I would never tell a person, "well, you don't know the math so I can't explain it to you.". Thats rude and deceitful. Most times right? some people are just teenaged brain-ed adults and that's how I talk to them after a spell.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Infinity is math. You don't do math?
"Infinity symbol. The infinity symbol (sometimes called the lemniscate) is a mathematical symbol representing the concept of infinity. "
Eternity is physics. You don't do science?
"all agree on one essential lesson: the space-time that we inhabit is a construction. It is not fundamental to nature, but emerges from a deeper level of reality."
The bold is quite profound and accurate, Tzaph. The sequential process that produces our awareness is what creates the illusion of space-time, what I call time-space because it is the "quantum" time required for our "instantaneous" awareness to form that produces the illusion. It is why Augustine said that God made the world not IN time but WITH time.
Quote:
Infinity is math.
And no infinity is NOT "just a whole lot more." The mathematical term for that is "greater than" and it has a different symbol > and different definition than infinity ∞
(Still waiting for your answer to why that "creeps you out" infinity and eternity that is. You said that on another thread a few days ago.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, infinity is not math ...anymore than a screwdriver is carpentry.
math is just a langue. I tell people all the time, if the math guy can't explain the math in words, the math might be wrong. math is a set of tools that helps us explain, predict, and link ideas on how things work.
I would never tell a person, "well, you don't know the math so I can't explain it to you.". Thats rude and deceitful. Most times right? some people are just teenaged brain-ed adults and that's how I talk to them after a spell.
Where to begin?! Math is a symbolic language created in our minds that " is a set of tools that help us explain, predict, and link ideas on how things work" as Arach said. The metric space in which the "grammar and syntax" of equations and relations are manipulated is useful because it enables us to predict quantifiable events (measures). This gives the impression that we are reproducing what our reality does, but that is an illusion. Our reality is NOT doing the math and there is no expectation that the results we predict so well were actually produced by the symbolic manipulations in the math. However, to Tzaph's point, the symbols DO represent real underlying "somethings" that our mathematical manipulations are predicting. That is why I make so much of the E=mc^2 and E=hf equivalence. Whatever we are measuring and manipulating corresponds to some real underlying "something" that we label energy. Our manipulations and symbols indicate that it is both "substance" (mass) and "vibration" (frequency). Infinity is used when our math fails to allow us to manipulate anything further, as when we try to divide by zero, etc. Verbally, it is okay to say it represents everything in the universe but not because the math proves it. As Arach said, if you cannot explain the math verbally, you do not understand it.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-04-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. ..as Arach said, if you cannot explain the math verbally, you do not understand it.

Infinity is a concept that describes a reality.
Eternity is a comcept that describes a reality.

They are aspects of never ending, goes on forever, without limit, boundless, endless.

That is all omni means : all, and without end.

I understand that. For some reason people go all wonky over it and their eyes bug out and they run out of the room screaming noooooooo. Omni. Caaaaaant beeeeeeeeee as they recede in the distance flailing about with their hands.

Somebody please try to explain why that creeps people out.

The math word infinity expresses that concept of never ends. The science discussions in physics of time not being real address eternity. If time does not exist then now goes on forever.

Those are concepts people are familiar with. They are omnis. Knowledge never ends. Learning never ends. There will never come a time when we know everything.
That's omniscient = "all knowledge". What is creepy about that?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 04:03 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
What are the odds of a supernatural being having all it's qualities be 100%. Why not 50% omnipotence and 75% omniscience? What are the odds that some being has everything at maximum? I ask this because believers like to bring up the odds that we just happen to have a planet in just the right place, a certain distance from the sun, a certain tilt,etc. when they want to talk about probabilities of us existing. Discuss.
Omni MEANS "all" -- that's 100%. The attributes of god are supposedly that he is ALL knowing, ALL powerful and ALL good. "75% omniscience" is like "75% black" or 75% "circular": grey and elliptical are not black or circular. So regardless of the odds, the framing of the question makes dilutions impossible.

Gods who are less than all-powerful are not gods, but demigods or just powerful beings of some kind.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Omni MEANS "all" -- that's 100%. The attributes of god are supposedly that he is ALL knowing, ALL powerful and ALL good. "75% omniscience" is like "75% black" or 75% "circular": grey and elliptical are not black or circular. So regardless of the odds, the framing of the question makes dilutions impossible.

Gods who are less than all-powerful are not gods, but demigods or just powerful beings of some kind.
Mordant's back!
Welcome back! Good to have you posting!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:22 PM

So if these are the omnis they don't feel creepy or scary but rather very familiar already)

Omnipresent = everywhere in all places
Omniscient = all knowledge knows everything
Omnipotent = all powerful, unlimited power to create

Eternity = never ends, goes on forever
Infinity = never stops, without end

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality