Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sounds like you are obsessed with this subject matter. Let's just burn down every church right?
Yep! I'd vote for that.

“Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest.”
--Emile Zola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 01:19 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, I do have an agenda. The agenda is to weed out these dangerous hypocrites who are in a position of moral trust, and that abuse not only that trust, but their victims. There is no excuse, and worse, there is no urgent and maintained drive to expose and keep these cretins out of their respective ministries.

Even worse, many adherents to the faiths will try and obfuscate, deny and ignore those crimes. Your deflection is not what is needed; what is needed is a plan by members of the various faiths to deal with the problem.
May be your intention is right. And I am with you if this is your true agenda; but frankly speaking, may be your method needs refinement. You make it sound like as if it's the fault of religion if a wolf in sheep's skin type of a pastor sexually assaults a kid.

No religion tells its followers to pray on childrens!

I would rather say, "Another hypocrite exposed" instead of attacking the faith. It's not the faith, its some of the wolves who wear the sheep's skin in a disguise to follow their personal lust greed and agenda. They have no respect to faith or anything to do with God. I say, they are Atheists.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
May be your intention is right. And I am with you if this is your true agenda; but frankly speaking, may be your method needs refinement. You make it sound like as if it's the fault of religion if a wolf in sheep's skin type of a pastor sexually assaults a kid.

No religion tells its followers to pray on childrens!

I would rather say, "Another hypocrite exposed" instead of attacking the faith. It's not the faith, its some of the wolves who wear the sheep's skin in a disguise to follow their personal lust greed and agenda. They have no respect to faith or anything to do with God. I say, they are Atheists.
I have many times stated it is up to the members of a faith to root out these leaders. Just as it is up to the members of Islam to root out their radicals.

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” - Steve Weinberg

Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Jeff, why don't you champion getting rid of these cretins in your branch of religion? I'm just the messenger, and I am shocked that there were 19, NINETEEN incidents in the past 2 weeks. That is a pattern, not an exception. It was in only a 2 week period, Jeff. Not 2 months, or 2 years. Two weeks!

Why would you rather make inane comments like "burn down every church"? Why don't you have an issue with this rampant problem? Why are you not railing against it, as it is people like you, inside your faith, who can change this. If you want to.

Do you want to change this? Or are you A-OK with it as long as they preach brimstone and hellfire?
Because you haven't shown me that it is a problem related to religion in any way. I read that a sex crime occurs every 2 minutes. 702,000 reported cases of child abuse alone in the US in 2014. If my math is correct, that comes out to about 29,250 cases in a two week period. 29K vs your 19 examples. That's less than 1%

With those overwhelming stats, there is going to be a portion occurring in any group or demographic. Corey Feldman recently came out talking about child abuse being a big problem in Hollywood. Why are you not railing against them too? You want me to believe that this is an epidemic in the church and you haven't done that. Besides, you never propose any solutions beyond suggesting that we speak up about this. No one needs to be told that this is wrong and sickening behavior. That would be a like a fireman arriving on scene and shouting to everyone,

"Listen up people, there is a fire here. See, we got fire. Now I'm only going to tell you that there is fire, not how to put out the fire. Just that there is fire, people."

Last edited by jeffbase40; 10-03-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you think that what these clergy men did is normal and perfectly ok? Christians should be at the forefront of addressing and stopping these atrocities, not attacking the messenger.....What is wrong with you?
How disgusting that you would even suggest that I am ok with these crimes. Get off your high horse and explain exactly how we can predict the future because that's what you are asking. Become Minority Report thought police.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Because you haven't shown me that it is a problem related to religion in any way. I read that a sex crime occurs every 2 minutes. 702,000 reported cases of child abuse alone in the US in 2014. If my math is correct, that comes out to about 29,250 cases in a two week period. 29K vs your 19 examples. That's less than 1%

With those overwhelming stats, there is going to be a portion occurring in any group or demographic. Corey Feldman recently came out talking about child abuse being a big problem in Hollywood. Why are you not railing against them too? You want me to believe that this is an epidemic in the church and you haven't done that. Besides, you never propose any solutions beyond suggesting that we speak up about this. No one needs to be told that this is wrong and sickening behavior. That would be a like a fireman arriving on scene and shouting to everyone,

"Listen up people, there is a fire here. See, we got fire. Now I'm only going to tell you that there is fire, not how to put out the fire. Just that there is fire, people."
As others have pointed out, pastors, priests, rabbis and imans are not your normal public; they hold themselves to be moral religious leaders. They are and should be held to a higher standard than other members of society.

So why are you not insisting your denomination does all it can to broom these cretins out, rather than accepting that they have "been wayward but now are back on the path of the lord". That is a huge pile of scat that should never be accepted when these crimes occur.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
As others have pointed out, pastors, priests, rabbis and imans are not your normal public; they hold themselves to be moral religious leaders. They are and should be held to a higher standard than other members of society.

So why are you not insisting your denomination does all it can to broom these cretins out, rather than accepting that they have "been wayward but now are back on the path of the lord". That is a huge pile of scat that should never be accepted when these crimes occur.
You are over simplying a complex issue. Exactly how do you propose that we know that a church leader is secretly corrupt? We can't read their minds or see into their heart. They know they are doing wrong, but are given over to the lusts of the flesh. If you are talking about someone who has a former history of sex offenses then a church should take special precautions like not allowing them to be alone with women or children.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You are over simplying a complex issue. Exactly how do you propose that we know that a church leader is secretly corrupt? We can't read their minds or see into their heart. They know they are doing wrong, but are given over to the lusts of the flesh.
You can't know, you're right. What you can do, however, is shame them, call them out, call your denomination out if they were covering the criminals tracks, and publicly announce your disgust with it, as opposed to sweeping it under the rug or accepting "penance".

Quote:
If you are talking about someone who has a former history of sex offenses then a church should take special precautions like not allowing them to be alone with women or children.
Why in the name of whatever you consider holy would you ever, EVER, even hire such a person, or keep them on? Why?

That is what I am talking about that churches/religions are enabling these criminals. No forgiveness... period.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Jeff, why don't you champion getting rid of these cretins in your branch of religion? I'm just the messenger, and I am shocked that there were 19, NINETEEN incidents in the past 2 weeks. That is a pattern, not an exception. It was in only a 2 week period, Jeff. Not 2 months, or 2 years. Two weeks!

Why would you rather make inane comments like "burn down every church"? Why don't you have an issue with this rampant problem? Why are you not railing against it, as it is people like you, inside your faith, who can change this. If you want to.

Do you want to change this? Or are you A-OK with it as long as they preach brimstone and hellfire?
A little forgiveness goes a long way for most pedophiles---especially if one can place the fault on the victim..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality