Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Faith is "strong belief":
Faith | Definition of Faith by Merriam-Webster

Which is all anyone ever really has relative to the objectivity of and information or data.
Unless you can claim infallibility (you can't logically do that) for the info and data you have to back up your evidence...you only have a "strong belief" (FAITH) it is true.
Is this the dishonest trick where you take a word, take the definition(words often have more than one meaning) that everyone is clearly talking about, then use the same word to describe something else, but with a different definition? Then afterward pretend like that somehow makes the concepts conveyed by the different definitions of the word equivalent?

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 07-22-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
It is not what "I" think it means.
I am using the expert provided meaning.
LOL....I can cherry pick your link too...

Faith: A firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You are making a fool of yourself. GO AND LOOK AT WHAT FAITH IS. It is not 'strong belief'.
I know you, et al, want FAITH to mean something else...because of y'all's headtrips about it.
Relative to an assessment of info, data, objectivity, proof, facts, etc..."FAITH" means "strong belief".
You were talking about "facts and evidence". No facts or evidence is infallible...the best you can ever have is a "strong belief & trust" (FAITH) that what you believe to be true, actually is.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
I know you, et al, want FAITH to mean something else...because of y'all's headtrips about it.
Relative to an assessment of info, data, objectivity, proof, facts, etc..."FAITH" means "strong belief".
You were talking about "facts and evidence". No facts or evidence is infallible...the best you can ever have is a "strong belief & trust" (FAITH) that what you believe to be true, actually is.
That is correct GldnRule!

An example of faith is Abraham believing that what God has said is so. Abraham is said to have believed God calling what is not as if it were. That is faith. He put his faith in God.

Noah did the same thing when building the ark. God told him a flood is coming and to build an ark. So Noah believed that what God has said is so and built an ark.

This is another good reason for Ken Ham to build this massive ark is to show people that there have been people throughout human history who believed God when the rest of the world did not, thus proving the majority and minority of atheists are often wrong.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL....I can cherry pick your link too...

Faith: A firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
Right. There is no "proof" of anything. Anything you "firmly believe" to be so is based upon FAITH.
Unless you claim "Absolute Infallibility" (no such thing) for any data or information...we never actually have "proof" of anything. It could be wrong.
All we have is the "strong belief & trust" (FAITH) that something is true. You can never be 100% sure.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
All those humans were going to die anyway. So the process was sped up a little? They are all going to be saved. They are one day going to rejoice in that. Why don't you now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Wait! All those people were good, and he killed them for ... what reason, please?
According to the historically accurate account, they were very evil and would not enter the ark as God pleaded with them and for 100 years God, through Noah, told them to turn from their evil ways.

This is another reason why Ken Ham's Ark Encounter is a great idea is to get people to see that in the face of rank unbelief, there are some people like Noah and family who believed God in the face of 100 years of great adversity.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Here I will demonstrate the basic rhetorical trick being played:
Quote:
I don't think they do realize old chap!

You can't actually PROVE that the story about Polyphemus throwing rocks at passing ships from the slopes of Mount Etna is superstition but you would nevertheless claim that it is because the story is beyond the realms of reality...just like the flood story.

You have no verifiable evidence to back your claim and that is all that matters.

Faith is not required when dealing with verifiable evidence. This is where people laugh at you all the time. You claim that the Bible is a historically proven document...and then go on to use faith! LOL!

No I don't use faith. I don't use faith EVER. I verify history with FACTS not faith.
It is clear from this post that Rafius is speaking about religious faith. Also known as definition #2 on gldn's link to Merriam Webster.

Quote:
Faith is ALWAYS required.
Faith that the info and data you have to back your "facts" and your "evidence" is valid.
Since nothing is infallible...all knowledge necessarily rests to a greater or lesser degree on FAITH.
SO...keep the Faith Raf...cuz it's all you *really* have.
Here gldn responds with definition #1, conflating the non religious definition with the religious one. Hoping that it will sneak past our radar so that he can maintain the false equivalency.

The spelling of the word faith is the same in all three definitions. The definitions themselves are substantially different however. Humans determine this via context. What gldn is attempting to do is to intentionally confuse the context to get a rise out of people. I see right through this sophistry, and I bet most of the other people here do as well.

Now that you have inserted the word faith into the discussion, all you have to do is demonstrate that definition #1 is equivalent to definition #2. Care to take a go at that?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That is correct GldnRule!

An example of faith is Abraham believing that what God has said is so. Abraham is said to have believed God calling what is not as if it were. That is faith. He put his faith in God.

Noah did the same thing when building the ark. God told him a flood is coming and to build an ark. So Noah believed that what God has said is so and built an ark.

This is another good reason for Ken Ham to build this massive ark is to show people that there have been people throughout human history who believed God when the rest of the world did not, thus proving the majority and minority of atheists are often wrong.
I must say Euse...I have great FAITH most of those stories are metaphorical and allegorical...not actual, literal occurrences.
Of this...I have a very strong belief (FAITH) in the validity of my supposition.
Though I take no issue with anyone believing otherwise.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Faith is a belief that something is true even though there is no objective, verifiable evidence that it is true. Facts are supported by objective, verifiable evidence (proof), that is why they are called FACTS. When objective, verifiable evidence (proof) is available there is no need to rely on 'faith' (belief that something is true even there is no objective, verifiable evidence that it is true). In the face of objective, verifiable evidence, faith is obsolete.

Got it now?
There is no such thing as "proof & facts"...not that is infallible, anyway.
Claiming "proof & facts" is bogus. You could be wrong...nothing is infallible.
All anyone has is "strong belief & trust" (FAITH) in ANY claim or assertion.
You claim "proof"...when you actually have no such thing. Nobody does, about anything.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I must say Euse...I have great FAITH most of those stories are metaphorical and allegorical...not actual, literal occurrences.
Of this...I have a very strong belief (FAITH) in the validity of my supposition.
Though I take no issue with anyone believing otherwise.
That's okay, I won't hold that against you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.