Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,080,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you show me one quote from the OT where God commanded to go convert anyone by threats of death or or torture?
Can you show me one quote from either the OT or the NT where God commands that you sit before a rectangular, flat box pressing squares with your fingers and using semantics to spread His Word?

Let me know the chapter and verse, I'm interested.

If not, are you interpreting HOW you BELIEVE God wants His word to be spread...even though this method was NEVER described in the Bible?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,006,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Why Eusebius, old chum, what a change of direction. I am deeply impressed! So you no longer think ..now I have to be very careful how I put this, don't I?, as you have all manner of escape clauses....that pre- flood creation of fauna and flora was not done a couple of thousand years before the ballpark global (and Biblical) Flood date (c,400BC?), but was a longer process somewhat matching the dates assigned by geological science to the Cambrian to Cretaceous strata and their fossils?
P.s say 60 million back to 400 million years BC?
I don't understand why you say I have changed direction. I have never agreed with the young earthists that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

I have stated quite a few times that the earth could be millions if not billions of years old.

Ken Ham does not believe in what is called "the gap theory" which to me is no theory at all. It is a change in the earth from genesis 1:1 to 1:2. Between 1:1 and 1:2 could be millions, if not billions of years. There was a time when the earth BECAME chaos and vacant of all life. Therefore there had to be life on earth prior to it becoming vacant of all life. Right? Can we not agree on that?

Then Genesis 1:2 onward is God making the earth habitable again and putting life on our earth again.

It is too bad the Ark Encounter does not show this. Many who are well trained in science would not have the young earth hurdle to jump over, which they are not even inclined to do so in the first place and I don't blame them for seeing the absurdity in Ham's premise of a young earth.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
I am just curious why you don't balance that out with "God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:4-6)?

Or why not also balance that out with due to what Christ did, all mankind will be made righteous according to Romans 5:18,19?

I am just curious why folks just concentrate on what they perceive to be bad stuff but never mention the good stuff?

Kind of like Ken Ham's ark. Atheists want to concentrate on all the bad concerning it rather than the good. Maybe it is a human trait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, I guess because all of that would have had absolutely ZIP to do with my point, which was that the church used to "obtain" converts one way and now it's trying to "obtain" them another way (with this park)?

So, that's why.

HTH!
So you think we should all go through life just concentrating on all the negatives. Someone may say: "Oh look at that BEAUTIFUL rose. But you would respond: NO! Look at those evil thorns!!!!
Or, Oh look at that beautiful baby! And you'd reply: No!!!! it poops in a diaper the most disgusting foul smelling crap!!!

Old 07-21-2016, 03:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 5,760,664 times
Quote:
Yeah, because it takes hatred and an ugly, ugly soul to be sad about a story of literally an entire earth worth of creatures being murdered, right down to infants, and animals that did not and could not, per definition, have "sinned" were the basis of the story true.
Are you sad when ISIS thugs are "murdered"? Are you sad when chickens and other animals are murdered for us to eat? Are you sad for the countless insects that have died at the hands of exterminators?

Because that is what you are labeling God as a murderer for his righteous judgement against evil people.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So you think we should all go through life just concentrating on all the negatives. Someone may way: "Oh look at that BEAUTIFUL rose. But you would respond: NO! Look at those evil thorns!!!!
Or, Oh look at that beautiful baby! And you'd reply: No!!!! it poops in a diaper the most disgusting foul smelling crap!!!
Uh, no. LOL.

I don't think understanding that Noah's ark is a terrifying freaking story or having an understanding of the history of the Spanish Inquisition and subsequent inquisitions, large-scale and small, means "go(ing) through life just concentrating on all the negatives."

That is just plain silly and has zero to do with what I was saying.

But you can keep on talking to yourself if you wish, I suppose. If it makes ya happy, Eusie.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you show me one quote from the OT where God commanded to go convert anyone by threats of death or or torture?

And why do you believe that any commands of violence in the OT that were given to a very specific group of people are binding on a Christian when Romans 10:4 states that Jesus is the end of the Law?

You need to ansewer that question if you're going to be intellectually honest while blaming Christians. You've already said you know that Chrsitianity doesn't teach violence, but you continue to blame the religion.
In the Old Testament, the ones threatening death were the apostates who were killing off the righteous Israelites and chasing after the prophets as Jezebel and her husband did. Elisha ran from her too.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Uh, no. LOL.

I don't think understanding that Noah's ark is a terrifying freaking story or having an understanding of the history of the Spanish Inquisition and subsequent inquisitions, large-scale and small, means "go(ing) through life just concentrating on all the negatives."

That is just plain silly and has zero to do with what I was saying.

But you can keep on talking to yourself if you wish, I suppose. If it makes ya happy, Eusie.
Please don't play that game with me. The problem is that people only focus on what they consider the bad things in the Bible rather than balancing that with all the good.

Just like Ken Ham's Ark Encounter. They only focus on the bad rather than balancing it with the good.

So again, why can't you balance your diatribes against God with what He is going to do positively for all mankind? What do you have to lose in so doing?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Are you sad when ISIS thugs are "murdered"? Are you sad when chickens and other animals are murdered for us to eat? Are you sad for the countless insects that have died at the hands of exterminators?

Because that is what you are labeling God as a murderer for his righteous judgement against evil people.
No dear, God doesn't just kill "evil" people. EVERYBODY dies. Animals and plants, too. You may have missed that.

That's all righteous judgment?

Am I sad when ISIS thugs are murdered...YES, I am sad about the entire thing, start to finish. I am sad for them and how they felt that was how they had to live their lives...I can't even imagine what the hell it took to make them think such a thing. The whole thing is sad, awful, lonely and tragic even before we get to the point that any one of them may have engaged in ISIS. As for after...oh man. The whole entire thing is sad, yes, soup to nuts. Years worth of tragedy in the making and the execution.

Yes, I'm sad that animals have to die so that people can be fed (and so that other animals can be fed). I do find that sad. It's unavoidable, as SOMETHING has to die in order for anything else to live - plant or animal - but there is no solution to that, so it is what it is. But does it make me feel sad? Of course. I'm not weeping before every meal but yes, it is (in my interpretation...my view), an unhappy thing. Or, an unfortunate thing.

Countless insects: Yes. That sucks. They can't be "told" by us to just go. They do not have the capacity to understand. Yet they could make us very, very sick. So we have to kill them. Nothing else will make them go. OF COURSE that sucks. How could it not?

By the way, how does killing insects and chickens, as you describe above, equivalent to God murdering in "righteous judgment" of "evil people," as you also say? Are you claiming that chickens and insects deserve what they get because they're evil? You've lost me.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
No dear, God doesn't just kill "evil" people. EVERYBODY dies. Animals and plants, too. You may have missed that.

That's all righteous judgment?

Am I sad when ISIS thugs are murdered...YES, I am sad about the entire thing, start to finish. I am sad for them and how they felt that was how they had to live their lives...I can't even imagine what the hell it took to make them think such a thing. The whole thing is sad, awful, lonely and tragic even before we get to the point that any one of them may have engaged in ISIS. As for after...oh man. The whole entire thing is sad, yes, soup to nuts. Years worth of tragedy in the making and the execution.

Yes, I'm sad that animals have to die so that people can be fed (and so that other animals can be fed). I do find that sad. It's unavoidable, as SOMETHING has to die in order for anything else to live - plant or animal - but there is no solution to that, so it is what it is. But does it make me feel sad? Of course. I'm not weeping before every meal but yes, it is (in my interpretation...my view), an unhappy thing. Or, an unfortunate thing.

Countless insects: Yes. That sucks. They can't be "told" by us to just go. They do not have the capacity to understand. Yet they could make us very, very sick. So we have to kill them. Nothing else will make them go. OF COURSE that sucks. How could it not?

By the way, how does killing insects and chickens, as you describe above, equivalent to God murdering in "righteous judgment" of "evil people," as you also say? Are you claiming that chickens and insects deserve what they get because they're evil? You've lost me.
He pleaded with them for 100 years. I think that is plenty of time to determine if they were evil or not. A month would have been good enough but 100 years? Wow! Talk about the patience and long suffering of God!

Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Please don't play that game with me. The problem is that people only focus on what they consider the bad things in the Bible rather than balancing that with all the good.

Just like Ken Ham's Ark Encounter. They only focus on the bad rather than balancing it with the good.

So again, why can't you balance your diatribes against God with what He is going to do positively for all mankind? What do you have to lose in so doing?
It's not a game. I am being straight-up with you. I am not required to "balance the bad with the good" in every possible scenario any more than you are required to balance the good with the bad. Or are you saying you go door-to-door telling people, "Good news! Jesus loves you and you are SAVED! But in all fairness, here's the balance: His Father rejoiced in the righteous slitting of wombs and spilling of fetuses way back when, and encouraged fathers to give their daughters over to be raped."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.