Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have a winner! Glad to see someone paid attention in science class, I was beginning to think all that tax money spend on education was wasted.
Might still be. Cruithne was educated in the UK. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
The other day, I was talking with a friend (I'm atheist, he's christian) and he kept posing the question "Why does the earth exist and why is there life?"
This kind of baffles me, because I don't really know *why* this is significant or useful. He insisted repeatedly that it was useful and matters very much.

So, my question is, do why questions matter and why?
Because everything in the universe, including the universe itself requires a cause for it to exist. Until you can give a reason other than God, it's only logical.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
No they only presume that cause and effect is involved
Those would be "how" questions. "Why" questions want a reason for an answer and only sentient beings have reasons to give. "How" questions only need a cause to explain an effect. No moral justification or purpose has to be involved to explain cause and effect. You can't arrest a landslide for willful destruction of property; it is simply rocks obeying the laws of physics with zero regard for what might happen to be in their way.

Now if a landslide sweeps your house away and kills your family you might ask "why" but that question only has meaning if there is someONE in charge of falling rocks to ask that question OF. If you ask "how" then we would point to soil instability, water content, weather, vegetation, and their interactions to explain "how" but there is no meaningful answer to "why" unless there's a god or a devil involved somehow. "Why did my family HAVE TO die" or "Why was my family TAKEN FROM me" or "Why was my family NOT PROTECTED" or "Why am I being PUNISHED" all involve some sort of agency with an agenda (or the lack of one). They all also involve some expectations and assumptions about those entities involving some concept of fairness or justice or at least purpose.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because everything in the universe, including the universe itself requires a cause for it to exist. Until you can give a reason other than God, it's only logical.
"Everything requires a cause. Except for the ONE god that I believe in. He doesn't need a cause...."

Dumbest. argument. ever.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
"Everything requires a cause. Except for the ONE god that I believe in. He doesn't need a cause...."

Dumbest. argument. ever.
Yet one that I've never seen an atheist counter.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Infinite regress alert!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:25 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Oh, it gets countered, you just ignore it.

In fact, it is very easy to counter. You can't say that EVERYTHING has to have a cause, and then say, "Oh, except for the God that I personally believe in. He doesn't need a cause because, faith...." You have nothing other than your book written by ignorant primitive men to support your cause. We have all of science. Sorry, but I will take science over the book with talking donkeys/snakes, a man living inside a fish, and all the other obviously fictional crap.

Either EVERYTHING has to have a cause, or it doesn't. The very fact that you say God doesn't need a cause, means that EVERYTHING does not have to have a cause. I don't expect you to understand that, as it would mean taking your head out of your Bible and CARM's a**, but there ya go.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh, it gets countered, you just ignore it.
I'm sorry. I should have specified that I've never seen a counter to it that was actually logical or cogent.
Quote:
In fact, it is very easy to counter. You can't say that EVERYTHING has to have a cause, and then say, "Oh, except for the God that I personally believe in. He doesn't need a cause because, faith...." You have nothing other than your book written by ignorant primitive men to support your cause. We have all of science. Sorry, but I will take science over the book with talking donkeys/snakes, a man living inside a fish, and all the other obviously fictional crap.
Sure I can. Everything that is in the universe requires a cause. But since God is not part of the universe, such a statement doesn't apply.
Quote:

Either EVERYTHING has to have a cause, or it doesn't. The very fact that you say God doesn't need a cause, means that EVERYTHING does not have to have a cause. I don't expect you to understand that, as it would mean taking your head out of your Bible and CARM's a**, but there ya go.
He is eternal. It's that simple.

STILL waiting for a cogent response.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Cosmological argument - Iron Chariots Wiki

Argument from first cause - RationalWiki

commonly-raised[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] objection to this argument is that it suffers from special pleading. While everything in the universe is assumed to have a cause, God is free from this requirement. However, while some phrasings of the argument may state that "everything has a cause" as one of the premises (thus contradicting the conclusion of the existence of an uncaused cause), there are also many versions that explicitly or implicitly allow for non-beginning or necessary entities not to have a cause. In the end, the point of the premises is to suggest that reality is a causally-connected whole and that all causal chains originate from a single point, posited to be God. That many people using this argument would consider God exempt from various requirements is a foregone conclusion, but citing "special pleading" because finite causal chains are said to have an uncaused beginning is hardly a convincing objection.
A more pertinent objection is that, even assuming that there is a first cause, the argument utterly fails to address how we can know its identity. The assertion that it must be the particular God that the arguer has in mind is a complete non sequitur. Why not the deist God? Why not some kind of impersonal, eternal cosmic force? Why not shape-shifting aliens from another dimension? Or maybe the most simplest of all, why not the Big Bang as the first cause? There is nothing in the argument that would allow one to determine any attributes of the first cause.
Finally, there is nothing in the argument to rule out the existence of multiple first causes. This can be seen by realizing that for any directed acyclic graph[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]wp[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] which represents causation in a set of events or entities, the first cause is any vertex that has zero incoming edges. This means that the argument can just as well be used to argue for polytheism.
Through modern science, specifically physics, natural phenomena have been discovered that do not have discernible causes. The best known example is radioactive decay. Although decay follows statistical laws and it's possible to predict the amount of a radioactive substance that will decay over a period of time, it is absolutely impossible to predict when a specific atom will disintegrate. The spontaneous disintegration of radioactive nuclei is truly random and uncaused, providing a counterexample to the assumption that everything must have a cause.
Another example is the spontaneous generation of virtual particles, which randomly appear even in complete vacuum. These particles are responsible for the Casimir effect[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]wp[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] and Hawking radiation.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]wp[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] The release of such radiation comes in the form of gamma rays, which we now know from experiment are simply a very energetic form of light at the extreme end of the electromagnetic spectrum. Consequently, as long as there has been vacuum, there has been light, even if it's not the light that our eyes are equipped to see. What this means is that long before God is ever purported to have said "Let there be light!", the universe was already filled with light, and God is rendered quite the Johnny-come-lately.

The Cosmological Argument - Arguments for the Existence of God - Arguments for Atheism

Critics of the Modal Cosmological Argument or Argument from Contingency would question whether the universe is in fact contingent. We have no idea whether this universe “had” to exist or not, nor whether it is in fact the only one and not just one of a potentially infinite number of different universes in a “multiverse” for example.

Critics also ask why God should be considered a “necessary being” and inexlicably exempted from the argument that everything has a cause. If a God exists to cause the universe then, by the same argument, this God must itself have a cause, leading to an infinite regress unacceptable to most theists. Simply asking "does God have a cause of his existence?” therefore raises as many problems as the cosmological argument solves. [SIZE=3] Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily).
- William of Ockham (c. 1323)
[/SIZE]

If God is thought not to have, or not to need, a cause of his existence, then his existence would be a counter-example to the initial premise that everything that exists has a cause of its existence! If God or the Prime Mover “just is”, then why can the universe not “just be”? Why is there a need to go a step further back? The widely accepted concept of “Occam’s Razor” suggests that the simplest solution to a problem is always the best, and that additional unnecessary complexity should be avoided.

Even if one accepts that that the universe does in fact have a beginning in time (as the generally accepted Big Bang theory suggests), the Temporal Cosmological Argument does not explain why there could not be more than one first cause/mover, or why the chain could not lead back to several ultimate causes, each somehow outside the universe (potentially leading to several different Gods).

Neither does it explain why the something which is “outside the universe” should be “God” and not some other unknown phenomenon. There is no compelling reason to equate a First Cause with God, and certainly Aristotle did not conceive of his Prime Mover as something that should be worshipped, much less as the omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent God of later Christian, Jewish and Muslim tradition.

The whole concept of causality and time as we understand it is based entirely on the context of our universe, and so cannot be used to explain the origin of the universe. Causal explanations are functions of natural laws which are themselves products of the universe we exist in, and time itself is just an aspect of the universe. If there is no “time before” the universe, then the whole notion of “cause” ceases to apply and the universe cannot sensibly have a “cause” (as we use and understand the concept). Indeed, perhaps there IS no “cause” of the universe.

Interestingly, at the sub-atomic quantum level, modern science has found that physical events are observed to have no evident cause, and particles appear to pop in and out of existence at random. In the first infinitesimal fraction of a second after the Big Bang singularity, classical physics is known to break down and just such unpredictable and counter-intuitive quantum effects are thought to apply.

There is another variation of the Cosmological Argument (sometimes called the Argument from Nature) which claims that if there are “laws of nature”, then this implies the existence of a lawgiver, or God. However, the analogy of social order based on man-made laws does not extend to scientific or natural laws, because nature's laws are descriptive, not prescriptive.

It did not take long searching Google.

Does not matter if you believe these sites or accept them as valid your point was you never saw an atheists counter it.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Does not matter if you believe these sites or accept them as valid your point was you never saw an atheists counter it.
Still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality