Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM

628 posts, read 2,079,046 times

Advertisements

I really do not understand why people are fighting to get this snake in office. Can someone please tell me why? People are continually crying that it's a racist move however, with the checkered past this guy has I just don't see how race fits in (no matter what race there would be serious questions). I know a ton of people who work in the Sheriff's Department who are African American and they don't want him as Sheriff. Again, you lead by example....what kind of example is he? Now you want to invite the worlds greatest hate-monger (Rev. Al) to your city? You are making a huge mistake inviting this guy to Charlotte to fight for your cause. It will only cause animosity!

Charlotte Observer | 01/21/2008 | Mackey rally planned; Sharpton invited (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/455817.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I really do not understand why people are fighting to get this snake in office. Can someone please tell me why? People are continually crying that it's a racist move however, with the checkered past this guy has I just don't see how race fits in (no matter what race there would be serious questions). I know a ton of people who work in the Sheriff's Department who are African American and they don't want him as Sheriff. Again, you lead by example....what kind of example is he? Now you want to invite the worlds greatest hate-monger (Rev. Al) to your city? You are making a huge mistake inviting this guy to Charlotte to fight for your cause. It will only cause animosity!

Charlotte Observer | 01/21/2008 | Mackey rally planned; Sharpton invited (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/455817.html - broken link)
AMEN! Could not have said it better myself!

I am sure many of us are tired of hearing about this nonsense!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,264 times
I agree that I am tire of hearing about Mackey in the news and having the negative or checkered past does not help to make him Sheriff. HOWEVER.... I must question the motive to uncover all of this news to get him out of office or NOT ELECTED! Afterall this is an issue that should be directed at the electoral committee in my opinion and not made a city or national race issue. Regardless of how this turns out we still have a serious issue with respect to HOW business is handled locally. SO WITH ALL THAT SAID I THINK THIS CASE SHOULD BE HANDLED DIFFERENTLY AND NOT BLOWN UP OUT OF PROPORTION AS IT HAS. Also, do we really dig this deep for our NON-AFRICAN AMERICAN ELECTED OFFICIALS??? NOT TO POINT FIGURES BUT ONE MUST ASK THAT QUESTION AS WELL????

Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 AM

628 posts, read 2,079,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu3176 View Post
SO WITH ALL THAT SAID I THINK THIS CASE SHOULD BE HANDLED DIFFERENTLY AND NOT BLOWN UP OUT OF PROPORTION AS IT HAS. Also, do we really dig this deep for our NON-AFRICAN AMERICAN ELECTED OFFICIALS??? NOT TO POINT FIGURES BUT ONE MUST ASK THAT QUESTION AS WELL????
I don't really think they dug that deep until he refused to release his police records. That automatically raised a red flag and it was a field day for the media and his opponents to dig up all the dirt they could. If there was no problem with him releasing his police records it probably would have died right there. Unfortunately, politics is an ugly...ugly game and by his refusal to release records HE caused all the digging!

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 01-21-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu3176 View Post
I agree that I am tire of hearing about Mackey in the news and having the negative or checkered past does not help to make him Sheriff. HOWEVER.... I must question the motive to uncover all of this news to get him out of office or NOT ELECTED! Afterall this is an issue that should be directed at the electoral committee in my opinion and not made a city or national race issue. Regardless of how this turns out we still have a serious issue with respect to HOW business is handled locally. SO WITH ALL THAT SAID I THINK THIS CASE SHOULD BE HANDLED DIFFERENTLY AND NOT BLOWN UP OUT OF PROPORTION AS IT HAS. Also, do we really dig this deep for our NON-AFRICAN AMERICAN ELECTED OFFICIALS??? NOT TO POINT FIGURES BUT ONE MUST ASK THAT QUESTION AS WELL????
OKAY. I don't think this issue has been blown out of proportion at all. I don't care what color the guy is. We have had a black mayor, who was greatly respected and beloved by all, right here in CLT. So please, please do not try to make this a racial issue. Mayor Gantt was an ethical, respected Mayor. This has to do w/ qualifications. The guy is not qualified. He also looks "dirty" and many of the black politicians are looking "dirty" for backing him. Sorry. It is the black community trying to make this into a black issue. That is nuts! Let the most qualified person win in an election! Or in a hiring issue, for that matter. If a different black man or woman were running for Sheriff and they were above board, no one would be saying a WORD - except WELCOME.

Making a race issue out of this is insulting to good people of ALL RACES who have genuine concerns b/c this guy looks DIRTY. White people are not the only people in CLT who are concerned about this guy and his ability to lead.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,612 times
Doesn't matter anymore. Now that Al Sharpton is involved, it will never be a qualified vs. unqualified candidate. It will only be black vs. white.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Doesn't matter anymore. Now that Al Sharpton is involved, it will never be a qualified vs. unqualified candidate. It will only be black vs. white.
Well, that is too bad. Here we are - w/ our first AA candidate running for President - and we are creating a black/white issue in a city that has no problem electing an AA mayor in years past. This is a step backwards and an attempt to divide people rather than unite them.

I don't care what color Mackey is - the man looks dirty to me and I don't trust him. If the Dems are so set on having a black Sheriff, looks like they should back one that is worthy of the title. Some battles are not worth fighting when the horse you are running is lame. Pick a winner for this race - someone who has a background of ethics and is worthy of respect and no one would be saying a word - black or white.

I will happily be proven wrong if he gets in the office and performs well. Just hate to see this turned into a race issue when it isn't.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM

118 posts, read 444,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, that is too bad. Here we are - w/ our first AA candidate running for President - and we are creating a black/white issue in a city that has no problem electing an AA mayor in years past. This is a step backwards and an attempt to divide people rather than unite them.

I don't care what color Mackey is - the man looks dirty to me and I don't trust him. If the Dems are so set on having a black Sheriff, looks like they should back one that is worthy of the title. Some battles are not worth fighting when the horse you are running is lame. Pick a winner for this race - someone who has a background of ethics and is worthy of respect and no one would be saying a word - black or white.

I will happily be proven wrong if he gets in the office and performs well. Just hate to see this turned into a race issue when it isn't.
It's always going to be a race issue. I didn't live here when the last Sheriff was elected, did he have to go through the same stuff? Don't be so quick to judge Mackey. Let it play itself out and see what is really uncovered. There is always some sneaky stuff going on when it comes to politics. Including the Sheriff's office or any other organizations. I don't know Mackey personally, but I know I'm not going to be so quick to jump to conclusion. If we look at his past, aside from him filling for bankruptcy, he worked for CMPD for 13 years. Left to complete a degree in law and obtained more than on degree.He has been citizen of charlotte in good standing. Until now

Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
It's always going to be a race issue. I didn't live here when the last Sheriff was elected, did he have to go through the same stuff? Don't be so quick to judge Mackey. Let it play itself out and see what is really uncovered. There is always some sneaky stuff going on when it comes to politics. Including the Sheriff's office or any other organizations. I don't know Mackey personally, but I know I'm not going to be so quick to jump to conclusion. If we look at his past, aside from him filling for bankruptcy, he worked for CMPD for 13 years. Left to complete a degree in law and obtained more than on degree.He has been citizen of charlotte in good standing. Until now
Not quite. He left the police department just as they were about to fire him, with the excuse of "I wanted to go back to school anyway" - yeah, right.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
I am sorry - b/c I do not mean to sound disrespectful b/c the tone of your post is very respectful. So I hate to sound argumentative, but I have to disagree - it does not always have to be a race issue. That is NOT what is going on here as far as who gets elected for what. We have black legislators, Congressmen, Police Chiefs, etc. all over this state, including a nice racial mixture of elected officials here in Charlotte. So it does NOT always have to be about race. The Sheriff here is elected, just as the mayor is elected. The present Sheriff left office to take a new job, so that left the vacancy.

We have elected black and white men and women here to many different offices. So it is not a race issue and has not been a race issue here for many decades. People are opposed to this Sheriff b/c he has done more than file for bankruptcy. There are many questionable things that he has done in the past. You just need to read about it. There are many black people who feel he is not worthy of the office. It is not just white people all upset cause they think we may have a black Sheriff. We just want a GOOD Sheriff, a competent and experienced Sheriff, black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte