Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,565,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I just received 2 phone calls in a row from Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever heard of them calling instead of visiting? This is new to me. I politely said no thank you, but I'm still surprised to get calls now. Is this something new?
I have never had them call. I have been visited. That is a new one I must say, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM

646 posts, read 635,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I wonder how a Jehovah Witness would respond if a couple of atheists rang his doorbell & attempted to convert him/her to atheism?
Ummmm - no one can be converted to atheism because atheists claim it is not a religion.
They can only attempt to cause a person to lose THEIR religion.
If a couple of atheists came to MY door, I would invite them in and listen to what they have to say. If they did not have time to talk, they would not have come to my door - right?
I would ask them if nothing can come from nothing and point out that if nothing existed before the big bang, then nothing would be here now - right?
So some intelligence MUST have existed before the big bang.
Then they would have to show me how life began without a lifegiver, how
the big bang managed to turn out orderly, how the earth managed to stop just the right distance from the sun in order to sustain life, etc, etc, etc.

If they can convince me with concrete evidence about the truth of those subjects, I think they would have a chance of turning me against my religion.

Now - what do YOU think?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,228,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Ummmm - no one can be converted to atheism because atheists claim it is not a religion.
Correct
Quote:
If a couple of atheists came to MY door, I would invite them in and listen to what they have to say. If they did not have time to talk, they would not have come to my door - right?
You would be hard pressed to find any atheist that would go door to door. There is no agenda to push. You are free to believe what you want but when those beliefs start being forced on others, they deal with the courts and the ACLU types that get stuff changed/challenged legally.
Quote:
I would ask them if nothing can come from nothing and point out that if nothing existed before the big bang, then nothing would be here now - right?
Watchmaker's fallacy, why does that never apply to your god?
There are three main arguments against the Watchmaker analogy. The first is that complex artifacts do not, in fact, require a designer, but can and do arise from "mindless" natural processes (as in the "Infinite Monkey Theorem"). The second argument is that the watch is a faulty analogy. The third argument is that the watchmaker is arguably a far more complex organism than the watch, and if complexity proves intelligent design, then the question arises: who designed such a complex designer?
Quote:
the big bang managed to turn out orderly, how the earth managed to stop just the right distance from the sun in order to sustain life, etc, etc, etc.
It is not orderly contrary to popular belief.
Quote:
If they can convince me with concrete evidence about the truth of those subjects, I think they would have a chance of turning me against my religion.
Why would we bother with you personally? There is no prime directive for us to deconvert anyone. Only you have the ability to deconvert. Deconverts never set out to lose their faith.
Quote:
Now - what do YOU think?
I think you have no substantial knowledge on cosmology, abiogenesis or evolution.

Your creation story is already debunked by overwhelming evidence in the geological, and archeological records and more recently DNA/RNA mapping.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM

6,168 posts, read 7,258,501 times
now they have started calling? My sister has a friend who told her that a couple of them rang the door bell and my sister's friend shouted from inside "we're not here" lol

Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Correct
You would be hard pressed to find any atheist that would go door to door. There is no agenda to push.
Who said there is? Nobody asked you anything. I do not believe you are blind. Take another look at the question asked by albion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion
I wonder how a Jehovah Witness would respond if a couple of atheists rang his doorbell & attempted to convert him/her to atheism?
Your response:
Quote:
You are free to believe what you want but when those beliefs start being forced on others, they deal with the courts and the ACLU types that get stuff changed/challenged legally.
That's a "canned" response; straight out of the cliche's cookbook. It has nothing to do with this scenario.

That is nonsense! Just another "canned" response. Nothing original! What in the world are you talking about?

I wrote:
Quote:
That would be my question. It can easily be answered with a “yes” or a “no.” Would you try answering it instead of trying to get around it so clumsily?
Quote:
There are three main arguments against the Watchmaker analogy. The first is that complex artifacts do not, in fact, require a designer, but can and do arise from "mindless" natural processes (as in the "Infinite Monkey Theorem"). The second argument is that the watch is a faulty analogy. The third argument is that the watchmaker is arguably a far more complex organism than the watch, and if complexity proves intelligent design, then the question arises: who designed such a complex designer?
Every word of that is irrelevant. What watch? Who’s arguing complexity and design? You are disconnected - like a drunk driver; seeing what is not there and answering questions that were never asked. I never made a “watchmaker analogy,” so you really have no argument at all. Who are you arguing with anyway?
Quote:
who designed such a complex designer?
If you think this is a very clever question, let me inform you: it is extremely dumb! Why? Well - I could tell you that Krammelio designed him. But then, you would have another question to ask me, and another and another - right? How long would you be willing to keep that up? If you lived long enough you would run into infinity.
Quote:
Why are you trying to ignore this claim?
Quote:
Then they would have to show me how life began without a lifegiver,
Want to try responding to that? Your best champions have not yet come up with an answer.
Quote:
how the big bang managed to turn out orderly,
How about that one?
Quote:
how the earth managed to stop just the right distance from the sun in order to sustain life, etc, etc, etc.
I’m interested to know how atheists would answer that.
Quote:
It is not orderly contrary to popular belief.
What isn’t? You have ignored the relevant consistently; now you add an unprovable claim.
Quote:
Why would we bother with you personally?
Let me remind you of the question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion
I was just answering the pertinent question, so don’t ask me why.
Quote:
There is no prime directive for us to deconvert anyone. Only you have the ability to deconvert. Deconverts never set out to lose their faith.
That means nothing to me. I posted my answer to the question.
Quote:
I think you have no substantial knowledge on cosmology, abiogenesis or evolution.
I suppose that means that you do. I am not in a position to doubt you, but you are equally not in a position to know what I know.
Quote:
Your creation story is already debunked by overwhelming evidence in the geological, and archeological records and more recently DNA/RNA mapping.
What creation story? You’d better put that pipe down, man. The smoke has got to your brain.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,228,550 times
I already answered your assertions

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I already answered your assertions
Even the ones I didn't make!

Quote:

Might be better to go back to the beginning:
Quote:
Posted by albion:

Now - what do YOU think?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

I see the reason behind the bluff.
Frankly, I don't think that you, nor any atheist, can answer these questions, in spite of the claims of advanced knowledge.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,583,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I just received 2 phone calls in a row from Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever heard of them calling instead of visiting? This is new to me. I politely said no thank you, but I'm still surprised to get calls now. Is this something new?
Have you registered your phone number with the FCC "Do Not Call List"?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times
Default jehovah's witness phone calling

Jehovah's Witness's probably called you because you were in a "lock out" building. Are you accessible for them to come to your door or are you in an apartment building or condo in which they would not be able to walk up to your door? I highly doubt it was due to "getting time in their ministry" as mentioned by Ringwielder . It is a part of their witnessing on part of Jehovah to everyone. They are being resourceful in their efforts in allowing anyone and everyone to hear about Jehovah's promises as offered through the Bible. They more then likely were wanting to see if you wanted to have free home Bible study so you can see from your own bible what it truthfully says about God, his name and his promises for the future and what this commotion about the end of the world and 2012 is all about, and if it is really a bible teaching.

Last edited by shatzilee; 12-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: name not right give http instead through copy and paste

Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,009,369 times
Geez, if I don't want bill collecters calling me, I certainly don't want Jehovah Witnesses doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality