Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
...I think you will find that most leading atheists are complete naturalists...
Leading Atheists?

You mean Atheists are organized and have leaders, like religions?

Who would be the world's leading Atheist and how did he get this position?

Most Atheists I know are individual free thinkers and the concept of "Leading Atheists" runs counter the very core of their convictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
That's quite an amazing extrapolation on his post you've made there. He's not saying either of those things.
Actually, this is exactly what is being said without the rationalization of religion.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Leading Atheists?

Most Atheists I know are individual free thinkers and the concept of "Leading Atheists" runs counter the very core of their convictions.
Now you're being deliberately disingenuous.

"Leading atheists" is a much different term than "atheist leaders". A well-known atheist who is respected and has a voice within the media or scientific circles would be a leading atheist. There are, however, no atheist leaders.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Leading Atheists?

Just like you could have a leading scientist of some sort, it doesn't mean that they are some how in control or posses a position of authority within a group. One leading atheist that stands out in my mind is Richard Dawkins.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
buildings-and-bridges wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9
So the problem with this is that the underlying priciple behind Atheism is that the world was created without God and that there is no such thing as a spiritual realm.

I agree with FF above--that is what you've decided atheism is about.
I think it's more than a single opinion. I've never even heard of an atheist who believed in a spiritual realm until a read a few posts on this thread. The overwhelming majority of atheists believe in nothing supernatural or a spiritual realm. I've been an atheist all of my adult life and am very familiar with the beliefs of atheists, some who are well known writers as well as everyday people like myself. A person who says they're an atheist and yet they believe in ghosts or the spirit world is a walking contradiction.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

I've never even heard of an atheist who believed in a spiritual realm until a read a few posts on this thread. The overwhelming majority of atheists believe in nothing supernatural or a spiritual realm. I've been an atheist all of my adult life and am very familiar with the beliefs of atheists,
I have been an atheist for over 60 years, ever since I heard about "God" when I was about four or five years old. I have no idea what "the majority of atheists" believe, nor do I care. Those whom I know personally tend to think like I do.

By the way, I always find writings and lectures by Sam Harris to be enjoyable, informative, and entertaining. I think Richard Dawkins is boring, condescending, and preachy.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
No, we don't believe in anything that steps in the boundaries of the supernatural. Atheists can't believe in spirits or ghosts because their rational way of thinking doesn't allow them to.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I agree, the only defining item for an atheist is non-belief in a god thing. After that there is no dogma, no rules, nothing else at all that defines any atheist.

Very simple. atheist = no god-thing.

Of course for years atheist have told us that only a delusional person would believe in a spiritual world. And that is because they did not believe the Bible. So if atheists are now saying they do believe in ghost. Then they are now telling us the Bible was speaking the truth when it told us that a spiritual world does exist. The Bible also tells us there is a God that exist in this spiritual world.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xomiakas View Post
No, we don't believe in anything that steps in the boundaries of the supernatural. Atheists can't believe in spirits or ghosts because their rational way of thinking doesn't allow them to.
However their rational way of thinking fails them when evidence suggest that ghost do exist. And this belief is being confirmed by so many. Atheists really have put themselves in a box, and that is because they have limited the evidence they can accept.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xomiakas View Post
Wrong! Just like anyone else, an atheist can believe in anything that they wish to. It is only those that feel their religion forbids them to do so who are not allowed to think outside the dogma of their particular sect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality