Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:29 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,440,077 times

Advertisements

My friend sent me a video of Pastor David Jeremiah stating that good people are no more immune to bad things happening than anyone else...basically that sounds like he's discrediting the whole ministry,I mean what's the point of trying to be good if the same crap that might happen to others also happens to you? What about all that favor and blessing stuff those guys are always preaching about?...

And also,have you had any experiences with any of your beliefs delivering more 'instant justice' to evildoers?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
There are noble and ignoble reasons for doing good. The noblest reason is simply because you want to ("goodness is its own reward") or you want to benefit others. More typical reasons include fear of sanctions / punishment / ostracizing / disapproval (from god or from people), or as you're suggesting, a desire for rewards or particular positive outcomes.

Not that the latter is entirely illegitimate. I mean, if you turn the ignition key on your car you expect certain positive outcomes: the car starts, the heater warms you up, the radio plays you music. If these things don't happen on a regular basis, guess what you'll do with the car -- you'll sell it or maybe scrap it. Similarly if you are a righteous and loving person and your life plays out with all the pathos and tragedy you'd expect if you weren't those things ... well, in my experience you don't stop being good because that'd just add to your problems, but you certainly quit caring what god or the church thinks.

Definitely on the "ignoble" end of the scale is a desire to elevate yourself above others and demonstrate their inadequacy and inferiority, and, maybe, draw attention to their evil deeds such that god or natural consequences will judge or punish them.

Sadly, the small carrot and big stick of fundamentalism doesn't do much to encourage people to desire to be better people. What is the point when "all our righteousness is as filthy rags" and it's more important to be doctrinally correct than to act righteously. When your first priority is to avoid punishment or disapproval, there's not much room for "good for goodness' sake".

I know this violates the self-image of conservative believers but if you really think through the doctrines of original sin and eternal punishment this is what it amounts to.

It's both my belief and my experience that while there's a weak connection between actions and outcomes, difficulties and disappointments fall on the just and the unjust alike, and that neither morality nor moral strength come from the places that Christians claim they do.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
My friend sent me a video of Pastor David Jeremiah stating that good people are no more immune to bad things happening than anyone else...basically that sounds like he's discrediting the whole ministry,I mean what's the point of trying to be good if the same crap that might happen to others also happens to you? What about all that favor and blessing stuff those guys are always preaching about?...

And also,have you had any experiences with any of your beliefs delivering more 'instant justice' to evildoers?...
You expect bad people to be judged? Are you really prepared for that? I'm guessing that if you go down the list of the 10 Commandments, there isn't one of them that you (and me) haven't broken in thought, if not deed. So...really, when it comes down to it, we're all bad people.

The bigger question is why do good things happen to bad people?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:14 PM

939 posts, read 796,964 times
There are no guarantees in life- except eternal life for Christians. Bad things happen because evil exists, and even flourishes in our world. God gives people a free will, and we abuse it. We suffer due to others actions, and they suffer due to ours. You nor anyone will ever get all the answers to these type of questions. It's better to trust God, regardless of circumstances or emotions. The alternative is to try to "run the show" yourself, and have anxiety be a constant companion. If everyone seriously tried to live up to Gods standards (though we're not 100% capable of doing so), there would be alot less bad things happening to good people. However, most people have their own standards and do what they want- and we see the results.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
There are no guarantees in life- except eternal life for Christians. ...snip...
LOL!

What a load of grandiose garbage.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:51 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The bigger question is why do good things happen to bad people?
I disagree, however, that other observation IS in fact also a good question.

The problem is that you can hand-wave that away, too. Let me guess: bad things don't consistently happen to bad people because god is merciful and forbearing. Just as good things don't consistently happen to good people because god doesn't trust their faith -- he has to "test" it and make sure they hold fast against all evidence. Or put another way, god isn't omniscient. Or ... a safer claim: good things don't consistently happen to good people because people aren't as good as they think they are.

Part of the problem here is that people talk past each other without really defining "good" and "bad" and then we end up back at the claim that morality is defined in holy writ, which has been, is, and will be variously interpreted by all comers.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I disagree, however, that other observation IS in fact also a good question.

The problem is that you can hand-wave that away, too. Let me guess: bad things don't consistently happen to bad people because god is merciful and forbearing. Just as good things don't consistently happen to good people because god doesn't trust their faith -- he has to "test" it and make sure they hold fast against all evidence. Or put another way, god isn't omniscient. Or ... a safer claim: good things don't consistently happen to good people because people aren't as good as they think they are.
What I mean is that life isn't fair. We need to get over the idea that we can have what we want, or that we only get what we want because somehow we are more deserving than anyone else.
Quote:
Part of the problem here is that people talk past each other without really defining "good" and "bad" and then we end up back at the claim that morality is defined in holy writ, which has been, is, and will be variously interpreted by all comers.
God has told us what is good and what he requires of man. None of us can live up to his standard.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,701,863 times
Quote:
What I mean is that life isn't fair. We need to get over the idea that we can have what we want, or that we only get what we want because somehow we are more deserving than anyone else.

God has told us what is good and what he requires of man. None of us can live up to his standard.
That's called "Stacking the Deck".

Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Quote:
You expect bad people to be judged? Are you really prepared for that? I'm guessing that if you go down the list of the 10 Commandments, there isn't one of them that you (and me) haven't broken in thought, if not deed. So...really, when it comes down to it, we're all bad people.
Somewhere in the Christian doctrine it states as long as you are repentant then you will be forgiven. Sure most of us have broken commandments by default...but those who are pridefully arrogant should be striken down in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Somewhere in the Christian doctrine it states as long as you are repentant then you will be forgiven.
That's the essence of the Christian faith, yes. If we repent of our sins and trust in Christ for paying the penalty for our sin, we are forgiven.
Quote:
Sure most of us have broken commandments by default...but those who are pridefully arrogant should be striken down in my opinion.
The Bible says that we are all pridefully arrogant. Do you realize that? Do you think you are better than anyone else? I know I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality