Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I think the reason non-Christians,or more seemingly 'anti-Christians' like to bash Christian beliefs is because it just takes too much effort to adhere to many principles and just live in a 'free and fun' world where anything goes and everyone does no wrong...blissful ignorance perhaps?
You seem to have a very limited, naïve comprehension of what people outside your religious belief system are like. If you think that anyone who does not believe in your god is unprincipled and amoral, then by extension you're saying that only christians know the difference between right and wrong and can be trusted to behave properly. And that's an utterly ludicrous argument.

I could just as easily say (and in fact, have said it many times) that for many christians, living your lives in accordance with your religious beliefs is the only way you know how to tell the difference between right and wrong - and that without your bible and your pastor to tell you what to do, you would have no idea how live a moral life. There are several posters here on this forum who have openly admitted that very thing, seemingly without comprehending the significance of what they're saying.

Speaking for myself, the reason I condemn christianity is because it is a destructive influence on society. It's a primitive, barbaric, backwards tribal cult, determined to drag society back into the dark ages and delay the social advancement of the human race as much as possible for as long as possible. I loathe it with a passion, and will stand up and fight against it at every opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Angry much?
Deflecting much?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:22 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Where did I say I wanted others to join me?
Oh come on. You know that conservative / evangelical / fundamentalist Christians seek to gain converts and don't like it when people refuse to convert. That's no secret.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 AM

897 posts, read 1,181,528 times
Has nothing to do with religion, I'll tell you that much. But:

- "Nice guys finish last." Nice people are often too meek/humble to aggressively seek out what they want. Aggressive as in step over others, manipulate a situation, lie about something, etc.

- "Be as wise as a serpent but as gentle as a dove." If you want the religious context, this is in the bible. Pretty much self explanatory.

- "We do not get what we think we deserve or what is fair, but what we are dedicated to." Notice how people who are extremely dedicated to one thing usually succeed in it? What are 'good' people dedicated to? They tend to give more than they receive, yes?

Iyanla Vanzant said something that always stuck with me. God wants the best for his people. He wants them to live like kings and queens. But a lot of people tend to think suffering is noble, which she said is wrong. They cherish any chance they get to show how self righteous they are by suffering and "dealing" with it, in the hopes their passive demeanors will be enough to suddenly see them through. This is wrong, I agree. In no biblical story did the heroes ever just sit there and pray and just sort of wait and see if things would work out for them. They did not 'want' to suffer. They realized there is nothing noble about being in prolonged pain if you can avoid it. They had to do their work. Lots of "good" Christians do not do their work. They just sit, pray and hope for the best without putting in any of their own physical and mental effort towards the outcome.

That's all folks!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:01 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
You seem to have a very limited, naïve comprehension of what people outside your religious belief system are like. If you think that anyone who does not believe in your god is unprincipled and amoral, then by extension you're saying that only christians know the difference between right and wrong and can be trusted to behave properly. And that's an utterly ludicrous argument.

I could just as easily say (and in fact, have said it many times) that for many christians, living your lives in accordance with your religious beliefs is the only way you know how to tell the difference between right and wrong - and that without your bible and your pastor to tell you what to do, you would have no idea how live a moral life. There are several posters here on this forum who have openly admitted that very thing, seemingly without comprehending the significance of what they're saying.

Speaking for myself, the reason I condemn christianity is because it is a destructive influence on society. It's a primitive, barbaric, backwards tribal cult, determined to drag society back into the dark ages and delay the social advancement of the human race as much as possible for as long as possible. I loathe it with a passion, and will stand up and fight against it at every opportunity.
And just because *you* loathe it doesn't mean it's wrong. Speaking of naive comprehensions...your descriptions of Christianity sound pretty dated. Why don't you look at things like Isis for your said description.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Deflecting much?

Nope.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Oh come on. You know that conservative / evangelical / fundamentalist Christians seek to gain converts and don't like it when people refuse to convert. That's no secret.
Yes,but where did *I* even say I was any of that and that was my agenda?

Like I said,people today are so full of vitriol and looking to spread it to anyone who will listen.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Iyanla Vanzant said something that always stuck with me. God wants the best for his people. He wants them to live like kings and queens. But a lot of people tend to think suffering is noble, which she said is wrong. They cherish any chance they get to show how self righteous they are by suffering and "dealing" with it, in the hopes their passive demeanors will be enough to suddenly see them through. This is wrong, I agree. In no biblical story did the heroes ever just sit there and pray and just sort of wait and see if things would work out for them. They did not 'want' to suffer. They realized there is nothing noble about being in prolonged pain if you can avoid it. They had to do their work. Lots of "good" Christians do not do their work. They just sit, pray and hope for the best without putting in any of their own physical and mental effort towards the outcome.
Nothing against her but many of her like are also 'feelgood' preachers,where they go to the other extreme. I've heard preachers say suffering IS noble and to accept it with blessings...now that's just something I find difficult to do...

Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not understand this vindictive, needy man. That God is certainly not in my understanding.

I have an easy relationship with the Universe. That Universe contains the radical named Jesus. I am at peace with that.
God is not a man. He is your creator, and He's not needy. Jesus was God in flesh and He redeemed us.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Not according to the post to which I was responding. Did you read it?
Yes, but your post had nothing to do with that, and you and I both know it. It was just a launching pad for you to go off on a misinformed rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality