Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Depart from me you wicked.....what?
What are you saying?
He's referring to Matt 25:41, "Then shall [God] say also unto them ... Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,181,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah...chumps like this nitwit make these big blustery claims...but they are just showing themselves to be complete idiots.

I've dealt with the same thing from people on this very board. MOF it was one of the first things I responded to years ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/14337369-post29.html

See, if "It's All True"--then so is HELL. That guy wouldn't say squat if he was in that situation, let alone get all uppity and insulting with God! He'd get right to the bowing and groveling in total fealty real quick if he was faced with the choice of "serving God" or "burning in eternal torment for all eternity with no chance of reprieve". People that talk like this fool are as ignorant as it gets.
What's idiotic is the question in the first place and it's all pure whimsy.
What would you say to god at the Pearly Gates? Come on.
Fantastical questions necessitate fantastical answers.

The really amazing thing is that there are actually people out there that still believe in this hogwash. Heaven, hell and pearly gates - come on, really? People need to grow up.

Plus the 'its all true' version of religion you are referring to is only one version of one religion. Stephen Fry doesn't believe in any of them. It's a purely imaginary scenario - so what? He can say what he likes.

There is no - "If it's true". It's all pure fantasy, so getting into a steam about it is pointless.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He's referring to Matt 25:41, "Then shall [God] say also unto them ... Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels ..."

Thanks for the elaboration Mordant. Now I see why Dauntless Dan didn't want to finish the sentence.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Plus the 'its all true' version of religion you are referring to is only one version of one religion. Stephen Fry doesn't believe in any of them. It's a purely imaginary scenario - so what? He can say what he likes.
Yep, in the follow on video clips, Fry even expresses bafflement that anyone would be offended for their personal beliefs as he never criticized any specific religion. However, people project; they assume Fry is addressing their particular god. The notion of a generic deity is something they can't really conceive of. Jehovah is just an instance of the generic deity Fry was addressing ... the truth is that generic deities are harder to critique than specific ones, so Fry's scathing indictment of GenericGod is triply painful for MyGod, as it shows GenericGod up for the morally bankrupt construct he is, even without the specific bolt-on accessories that transform that into the even more logically inconsistent MyGod.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yep, in the follow on video clips, Fry even expresses bafflement that anyone would be offended for their personal beliefs as he never criticized any specific religion. However, people project; they assume Fry is addressing their particular god. The notion of a generic deity is something they can't really conceive of. Jehovah is just an instance of the generic deity Fry was addressing ... the truth is that generic deities are harder to critique than specific ones, so Fry's scathing indictment of GenericGod is triply painful for MyGod, as it shows GenericGod up for the morally bankrupt construct he is, even without the specific bolt-on accessories that transform that into the even more logically inconsistent MyGod.
Exactly right. People have been doing exactly that throughout this thread. They don't even realise they're doing it.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule

See, if "It's All True"--then so is HELL. That guy wouldn't say squat if he was in that situation, let alone get all uppity and insulting with God! He'd get right to the bowing and groveling in total fealty real quick if he was faced with the choice of "serving God" or "burning in eternal torment for all eternity with no chance of reprieve". People that talk like this fool are as ignorant as it gets.
Yes, certain Christians have confronted me with the "if you found out god really does send people to eternal torment for not believing in Jesus would you change your mind and worship god" scenario. Uh, yeah, if an "all_powerful" being tells me believe in Jesus or else, worship me or else, I'd probably get to groveling. But it would be with a sense of abject shame and utter self loathing for allowing fear and a purely selfish concern for saving my own skin to keep me from speaking up and telling that god what a heinous, vile creature it is, and for not being willing to stand with my fellow human beings against such a god. And certainly the only thing I would feel towards this being would be terror and hate. Living for eternity in subjection to such a being actually sounds like hell.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:35 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Yeah...chumps like this nitwit make these big blustery claims...but they are just showing themselves to be complete idiots.

I've dealt with the same thing from people on this very board. MOF it was one of the first things I responded to years ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/14337369-post29.html

See post #56.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,624,763 times
Quote:

Is your user name Golden Rule? hahahahahhah love the irony.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, certain Christians have confronted me with the "if you found out god really does send people to eternal torment for not believing in Jesus would you change your mind and worship god" scenario. Uh, yeah, if an "all_powerful" being tells me believe in Jesus or else, worship me or else, I'd probably get to groveling. But it would be with a sense of abject shame and utter self loathing for allowing fear and a purely selfish concern for saving my own skin to keep me from speaking up and telling that god what a heinous, vile creature it is, and for not being willing to stand with my fellow human beings against such a god. And certainly the only thing I would feel towards this being would be terror and hate. Living for eternity in subjection to such a being actually sounds like hell.
Can't rep you but dead right. Even if a god was real and about to subject me to eternal torment, I'd be pretty appalled, but it wouldn't make me like him any better. It still wouldn't make what he was doing Good.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
See post #56.
First...That doesn't apply at all to me, as I'm not at all religious and never have been. That scenario hasn't, doesn't, and won't ever occur.
BUT!
Second...That wasn't the basis of the thread, nor the hypothetical circumstance Fry was presented with.
It is YOU that needs to read Post #1 and the link.

The scenario is...after death, this guy Fry has discovered that "It's All True" (what some religions claim), and asked what he would say to God.
He claims he would get in his case and dress him down. I say that's just bluster and he'd be doing what everybody else would do if presented with that situation...and that would be bowing down and doing everything they could do to get through those gates and avoid what they know it would mean to be turned away.
If he would actually do what he says he would, if he was actually in that situation...he's about as stupid as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality