Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,075,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To begin with no such thing as good people, our garments are like filthy rags, even if it appeared someone was a decent person, God only knows the true heart of a individual
That's true.

Every person is just born evil.

I mean ever look into a newborn baby's eyes? Pure evil radiating out.

If there is a God, I'll bet it's pretty angry/sad/aggravated at such beliefs that completely denigrate something it created as inherently "filthy."

I feel such beliefs reflect how people view themselves (with self-hatred) than how any God could possibly think of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:36 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,959,134 times
We are all sinners and need a Savior and that is found through His Son Jesus Christ, it is all about repentance and a change of heart, as we want to follow Christ, we can't save ourselves, good deeds and works aren't enough, so want to be born again and then help others who need to come to know the Lord.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
We are all sinners and need a Savior and that is found through His Son Jesus Christ, it is all about repentance and a change of heart, as we want to follow Christ, we can't save ourselves, good deeds and works aren't enough, so want to be born again and then help others who need to come to know the Lord.
I don't think of God's (or nature's) creation in this way.

I don't think of it as a worthless thing that needs saving.

You are fingering other people as "in need of saving" when you state "all" here...you realize that, right? I don't think that's your place. You can have whatever beliefs you want to have, about yourself (even if they're unhealthy and make you feel bad about yourself)...but deciding all of humanity must be vile and in need of saving isn't something you could possibly know, now is it?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,579 times
Quote:
In other words, join the cult, put your butt in that pew, give up worldly things, rely totally on Jesus (or his living duly appointed representative here on earth), admit you're a scumbag that can't live without the cult, and you'll get your reward in the afterlife.

It's kind of like going to work for someone who says, "Yes, I'll hire you. Salary? Heh heh. No, you misunderstand. You work for me for the rest of your working days and you'll get a huge paycheck at the end, when you retire. No, you can't retire from our company until you turn 120 years-old. Still willing to work for us? Great. Here's an ancient holy book to get you started with the indoctrina ... err, I mean the orientation process. Heh heh heh."

Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In other words, join the cult, put your butt in that pew, give up worldly things, rely totally on Jesus (or his living duly appointed representative here on earth), admit you're a scumbag that can't live without the cult, and you'll get your reward in the afterlife.

It's kind of like going to work for someone who says, "Yes, I'll hire you. Salary? Heh heh. No, you misunderstand. You work for me for the rest of your working days and you'll get a huge paycheck at the end, when you retire. No, you can't retire from our company until you turn 120 years-old. Still willing to work for us? Great. Here's an ancient holy book to get you started with the indoctrina ... err, I mean the orientation process. Heh heh heh."
Well you can call yourself a scumbag if you want, I am a sinner who needs a Savior and sorry if you are part of a cult, oh well I am not and won't be looking for golden parachutes when I die but angel(s)given me a lift to the top floor called Heaven, it will be worth more than all the money in this sinful nature world because money will be worthless.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Well you can call yourself a scumbag if you want, I am a sinner who needs a Savior and sorry if you are part of a cult, oh well I am not and won't be looking for golden parachutes when I die but angel(s)given me a lift to the top floor called Heaven, it will be worth more than all the money in this sinful nature world because money will be worthless.
Well then that's you.

You really can't speak for the next person.

Which is, unfortunately, what Christianity attempts to do.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,023,989 times
It doesn't matter if being good will give you eternal torture and being bad will get you eternal bliss. Integrity outweighs pain and pleasure. It is far better to oppose such a deity and do the right thing even if that sends you to burn. It says god condones torture and genocide if people like Hitler and Stalin go to heaven. Harming innocent lives for any reason is despicable and I would suffer eternal torture than do such a thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It doesn't matter if being good will give you eternal torture and being bad will get you eternal bliss. Integrity outweighs pain and pleasure. It is far better to oppose such a deity and do the right thing even if that sends you to burn. It says god condones torture and genocide if people like Hitler and Stalin go to heaven. Harming innocent lives for any reason is despicable and I would suffer eternal torture than do such a thing.
First and foremost it is a good idea to get a grasp on what God is all about and not listen to others who read a few passages from the bible and consider God is evil, that is plain ignorance.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,023,989 times
Quote:
First and foremost it is a good idea to get a grasp on what God is all about and not listen to others who read a few passages from the bible and consider God is evil, that is plain ignorance.
The original poster was asking what people would do if evil people like Stalin and Hitler went to heaven while good people went to hell. If there is a god, that doesn't mean it is the god of Christianity. The real god may be one that will send someone to burn while a genocidal dictator could be given eternal bliss. If Jehovah is the real god, that also doesn't mean the bible is what they consider a moral roadmap. The Christian doctrine also say that humans are flawed. Given the fact that the bible was written by humans, it is also possible that they didn't actually comprehend what god told them. All passages of love were given by Satan and the writers of the bible thought that it was god. Satan is supposed to be a trickster and therefore the writers' flawed nature could have confused it as being god's commands. Jehovah's real moral standard may be one that condones genocide and considers compassion a sin. If someone were to find out that were true, that doesn't make it right to start committing evil because it's what the real god condones or because it gets you into heaven.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 12-03-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality