Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Bible is not clear on animals in the next life. There will be plants (the tree of life), and Jesus will ride a white horse. If plants and horses, why not other animals? For sure there will be no animals cast into the Lake of Fire because animals are incapable of sin.
Plants and animals have souls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:28 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
The Bible is not clear on animals in the next life. There will be plants (the tree of life), and Jesus will ride a white horse. If plants and horses, why not other animals? For sure there will be no animals cast into the Lake of Fire because animals are incapable of sin.
Then why did God punish them as if they were?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I also think that we have no clue what other planets are out there that are inhabited and I would not exclude them either.
Heaven is starting to sound like the cantina on Tatooine.

Well, except for droids because they don't serve their kind. They'll have to wait outside. Just be careful of the guy who has the death sentence on 12 systems.

The handome guy in the corner has a ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 9 parsecs. No, no, he's not talking about the local bulk cruisers, he's talking about the big Corillian ships now. She's fast enough for that old man sitting next to him.

Uh huh.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
If animals are without sin, why did your God drown billions of them, along with those nasty human babies?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If animals are without sin, why did your God drown billions of them, along with those nasty human babies?
Remember that God started off right away by punishing the serpent by taking its feet away. (*snort*)

Those sinful snakes!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 AM

1,268 posts, read 799,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Here is why I don't buy the subconscious hallucination or dreaming theory. It's too convenient. Every night when we sleep, the same subconscious takes over and forms dreams out of the pieces of our conscious experience. It is completely random and often jumbled up. So why would the same subconscious craft an afterlife experience dream in all these people? They should just be having a regular dream like any other night. But it is specific very detailed experiences that they remember clearly. I can have a vivid dream and it disappears from my mind immediately when I wake up. Not with NDE's.
It is not a regular dream. While always presented as mysterious, it is well documented that loss of oxygen to the brain distorts reality. This is not a subconscious dream: it is an actual change to the organ of the human body responsible for interpreting all the surrounding environmental cues. It is understood the brain controls our physiological and psychological response to stimuli. It is also responsible for the autonomic and sympathetic nervous system response. While not real in any true, tangible sense, the affected individual is mentally experiencing the phenomenon.

If you actually search, you will find these experience recounted throughout history. Experiences are always cultural; therefore, unless you are willing to concede the existence of all gods, NDE is much more likely a biological response, rather than, a religous one. For certain, NDE is an extremely poor argument for the existence of any one religon.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Heaven is starting to sound like the cantina on Tatooine.

Well, except for droids because they don't serve their kind. They'll have to wait outside. Just be careful of the guy who has the death sentence on 12 systems.

The handome guy in the corner has a ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 9 parsecs. No, no, he's not talking about the local bulk cruisers, he's talking about the big Corillian ships now. She's fast enough for that old man sitting next to him.

Uh huh.

I think it's amusing that people are so sure of what is out there and what is not, haha. I used to be an atheist as well, but I never assumed I had all the answers, and I never let what others believed bother me enough to make it necessary for me to mock their beliefs.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I think it's amusing that people are so sure of what is out there and what is not, haha. I used to be an atheist as well, but I never assumed I had all the answers, and I never let what others believed bother me enough to make it necessary for me to mock their beliefs.
The problem with religious belief of any kind is that it always takes itself too seriously. It is so melodramatically somber, staid, and sterile that it feels like a self-parody.

What I said was a joke, not an attempt at mockery - hence the little winky emoticon. It's as if people feel that if we laugh at ourselves and our beliefs in a benevolent sort of way, we'll tick off some god or another and our cities will go up in a puff of brimstone and fire.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The problem with religious belief of any kind is that it always takes itself too seriously. It is so melodramatically somber, staid, and sterile that it feels like a self-parody.

What I said was a joke, not an attempt at mockery - hence the little winky emoticon. It's as if people feel that if we laugh at ourselves and our beliefs in a benevolent sort of way, we'll tick off some god or another and our cities will go up in a puff of brimstone and fire.
Sorry I didn't see the winky emoticon, I was reading and posting while doing other things, and totally misunderstood. I agree that many times people do take things too seriously, and I really try not to be like that. I don't believe in the whole hell and punishment thing, and I definitely think it is okay (even necessary) to laugh and not to take things too seriously, even when it comes to religion and God and all that fun stuff

Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see the winky emoticon, I was reading and posting while doing other things, and totally misunderstood. I agree that many times people do take things too seriously, and I really try not to be like that. I don't believe in the whole hell and punishment thing, and I definitely think it is okay (even necessary) to laugh and not to take things too seriously, even when it comes to religion and God and all that fun stuff
Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality