Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 PM

691 posts, read 641,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I agree fully with this much "Actually there is no death, it is a phase of life when we depart from this world,"
That is an interesting statement about death since the physical nature of the universe defines that all things which are, were made in the beginning of the universe, being established from the foundation of the world.

Now, science holds that energy can neither be created nor destroyed but only changes form, yet offers no evidence to substantiate the substance of that theory. However, the scriptures hold in John 5:39 wherein it is written, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Since the nature of eternal is relative to time, it has neither a beginning of days nor an end of days and therefore, anything which has a beginning and a ending can not be timeless by the simple fact that it is finite, or rather a mortal life process. As written in the Book of the Preacher, or Ecclesiastics 3:1-2: [1] To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: [2] A time to be born, and a time to die;

So does the Quran state that man is eternal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
That is an interesting statement about death since the physical nature of the universe defines that all things which are, were made in the beginning of the universe, being established from the foundation of the world.

Now, science holds that energy can neither be created nor destroyed but only changes form, yet offers no evidence to substantiate the substance of that theory. However, the scriptures hold in John 5:39 wherein it is written, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Since the nature of eternal is relative to time, it has neither a beginning of days nor an end of days and therefore, anything which has a beginning and a ending can not be timeless by the simple fact that it is finite, or rather a mortal life process. As written in the Book of the Preacher, or Ecclesiastics 3:1-2: [1] To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: [2] A time to be born, and a time to die;

So does the Quran state that man is eternal?
When we are resurrected. This present body will decay and return to dust. But we will be brought back to eternal life at the resurrection'

Long Explanation can be read HERE

Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
[quote=Shirina;34274458]... there are no 'others' for the most part, and one day soon, there will be no 'others' in my life at all. Which is why I say I'm being tested way beyond what I can bear. I often think of the incredible, profound loneliness that will inevitably come, and I doubt my ability to survive it.../QUOTE]
Life seems to coddle some of us and then leave others of us seemingly bereft of everything. As unbelievers we know it is not the punishing work of a capricious god in a bad or neglectful mood, or some other form of us being picked on. That, to me, is a comfort. It's nothing personal and there's nothing to reconcile or sort out. No "why, god?" to wrestle with.

Of course it doesn't hurt any less for all that ... but on the other side of the unthinkable is a crazy freedom, where life can't do anything more to you than it's already done. There is courage in that, and there is honor in being a survivor. "Beware the person with nothing to lose". Not that I wouldn't spare you or anyone that state if I could ... but, you are stronger than you know and it's not all bad to know what you're made of.

We are grateful to have you here with us. Bend our ear anytime, whether the going's rough, or not.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
...snip...

We are grateful to have you here with us. Bend our ear anytime, whether the going's rough, or not.
Ditto, kiddo.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
[quote=Shirina;34274458]... there are no 'others' for the most part, and one day soon, there will be no 'others' in my life at all. Which is why I say I'm being tested way beyond what I can bear. I often think of the incredible, profound loneliness that will inevitably come, and I doubt my ability to survive it.../QUOTE]

To add to what has already been said. You have touched people here. There are people in your life. You might never see them in person, but those of us here that have read your words are a part of your life.

You have made an impact on people and have shared more than what most people share in face to face contacts.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
You know, it's funny ...

A number of people have said that I've made an impact here, that I've touched them.

Yet when I first came here to this forum and read some of the threads, my first thought was, "Eh ... the people here seem pretty damn smart and they make some decent arguments on both sides of the fence. What could I possibly add that hasn't been said a million times already?"

And I came about a hair's width away from logging out and not coming back.

(Though I'm sure there are a few folks here who would wish that I hadn't heh heh)

Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You know, it's funny ...

A number of people have said that I've made an impact here, that I've touched them.

Yet when I first came here to this forum and read some of the threads, my first thought was, "Eh ... the people here seem pretty damn smart and they make some decent arguments on both sides of the fence. What could I possibly add that hasn't been said a million times already?"

(Though I'm sure there are a few folks here who would wish that I hadn't heh heh)
What you added was you.

You do realize there's only one you, right?

And no, I'm not being Barney or Mr. Rogers. There actually IS only one you, unless you have a doppelganger out there somewhere. People don't realize that everything they say or do has "them" in it...even if it seems mundane. You'd be surprised how a similar statement or argument can really influence someone just because of the many many factors that go into making a person's POV unique.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Except for me ... there are no 'others' for the most part, and one day soon, there will be no 'others' in my life at all. Which is why I say I'm being tested way beyond what I can bear. I often think of the incredible, profound loneliness that will inevitably come, and I doubt my ability to survive it - nor can I think of a reason why I should. It's like asking yourself if you would wish to survive a nuclear holocaust - would you? A lot of people would say they would rather spare themselves the horror of survival and die in the initial blast.
I cannot imagine what it is like to be in chronic pain . . . you are in my (unwanted?) prayers and thoughts. Unfortunately you are in Pennsylvania and not Colorado or California where you would have access to medicinal MJ. It might make a huge difference. I think there is even a variety with more of the pain relief and less of the dope. You definitely have made an impact. Your posts are enjoyable and informative . . . even your more vitriolic rants. You have friends here who care about you. Hang in there.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
You know, it's funny ...

When I was younger, I had the same incredulity that I could contribute anything meaningful when, after all, "there is nothing new under the sun". When I would get praise for this or that contribution, it seemed like people had to be making it up or at least greatly exaggerating. But it really is true, that your contribution and mine are unique ... and for certain people and situations, our contribution is really important. It's not like someone won't eventually rise up and do similar things, but it is a matter of being present for those situations we're well suited to. It gives life meaning to do our part -- and we DO have a part.

I can tell you that my late wife found a ton of meaning in her existence in spite of protean levels of pain and other forms of personal suffering -- inability to sleep for days at a time, restless leg syndrome, vertigo, confusion, nausea, night sweats, drug side effects, and the terror that she would end up drooling in an institution. Even I was surprised at the people who came out of the woodwork to attend her funeral, from hundreds of miles and decades away, people she probably didn't think thought much of her back in the day -- they remembered her and made a real effort to show up and pay their last respects. She was convinced the world had forgotten her when she was no longer able to work, and here were people attributing their personal success to her example, as far back as high school.

So ... no matter how lonely the road seems, don't imagine that your life is a waste, even if it's not living up to its full potential for you personally at the moment. And don't think that parts of it won't ever turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality