Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:14 AM

109 posts, read 205,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
I'm sure the world would be a better place if there were such things as gods. After all, who would be silly enough to go out committing crimes when they knew they were being watched and would have to account for their actions in the 'afterlife'.
The electric chair didn't stop people committing crimes ST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teva View Post
The electric chair didn't stop people committing crimes ST.
True! But the electric chair wasn't watching the every move of the criminal was it. A god would be!!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandsweet View Post
Many people in this day in time believe in God in one way or another and to my knowledge that haven't stopped people from killing, stealing, or anything else.
A valid point!......I concede!!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Quote:
I'm new to this forum and I would like to know from an athiest point of view , do you think the world would be different if God did exist, and if so how? I know that you all do not believe in a God but using the idealogy of those who do (e.g. all loving, knowing, and forgiving God, etc.) would you all prefer to live in a world where God does exist? In all respect i just would like to know if any of you all thought about a God on those lines. Please share your thoughts without any ill feelings, Thanks in advance.
I'm an atheist,I don't think there is God.

Since there's no such thing like God,how can I know what the world will be if there is God?

However,if a guy's exist can help build a better world,I will really appreciate it.Saying,Euler's exist helped human beings so much by his thoughts on math.
If "God"is someone who can make the world better,I would like to live in a world where God exists,just like Euler,Newton exist.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I'm also perfectly happy living in a universe that's not inhabited by any despotic Gods. I'm afraid that I'd feel like a prisoner who is always trying to get out on parole or maybe an early release for good behavior. The fear of solitary confinement or even physical abuse would always be hanging over my head so I'm just so very thankful that none of it is true.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Now, if we could convince everyone that God would strike with a bolt of lightning if they misbehaved, it might help. Sudden and swift punishment might work.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 50,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I'm an atheist,I don't think there is God.

Since there's no such thing like God,how can I know what the world will be if there is God?

However,if a guy's exist can help build a better world,I will really appreciate it.Saying,Euler's exist helped human beings so much by his thoughts on math.
If "God"is someone who can make the world better,I would like to live in a world where God exists,just like Euler,Newton exist.

I guess what I was really getting at was what's important in my opinion is not arguing whether God exist or not but rather us as people finding a common ground to make this world a better place. I'm not saying that if you are an athiest you dont have a sense of right and wrong. I just believe that if you read the bible without having a particular religion or idealogy in your mind, you can see it as a self help book just like many psychologist write to help uplift people. The bible is filled with advice and good information on how to treat people, plants, animals and the earth, how to eat to live a healthy life, etc.

If you sit and read the bible trust me you will find the same exact principles that are in many of the books we read and love. So if you can say that the existence of a God can bring about a change in society, why not promote the teachings of "Godly" concepts in hopes that we all can agree that whether you believe or not truth is truth; and the truth is, the God of the bible teaches mankind to be upright, loving and peaceful and those are the things we should gravitate to. Those are just my thoughts on the matter I know many will not agree.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
I guess what I was really getting at was what's important in my opinion is not arguing whether God exist or not but rather us as people finding a common ground to make this world a better place. I'm not saying that if you are an athiest you dont have a sense of right and wrong. I just believe that if you read the bible without having a particular religion or idealogy in your mind, you can see it as a self help book just like many psychologist write to help uplift people. The bible is filled with advice and good information on how to treat people, plants, animals and the earth, how to eat to live a healthy life, etc.

If you sit and read the bible trust me you will find the same exact principles that are in many of the books we read and love. So if you can say that the existence of a God can bring about a change in society, why not promote the teachings of "Godly" concepts in hopes that we all can agree that whether you believe or not truth is truth; and the truth is, the God of the bible teaches mankind to be upright, loving and peaceful and those are the things we should gravitate to. Those are just my thoughts on the matter I know many will not agree.
I basically agree.
But the Bible is not my self-help book of choice. There are countless books filled with good advice and info on how to treat people, plants, animals (on which the Bible has it very wrong), and have a happy life.
If I wanted to read about self-help (which I do not) I would turn to one of the many books that do not include the worship of deities in their tips about how to be loving and peaceful.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 50,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm also perfectly happy living in a universe that's not inhabited by any despotic Gods. I'm afraid that I'd feel like a prisoner who is always trying to get out on parole or maybe an early release for good behavior. The fear of solitary confinement or even physical abuse would always be hanging over my head so I'm just so very thankful that none of it is true.
My understanding of God is totally different than how you see things. I don't think that there is something hovering over me shocking me every time I have a bad thought or make a mistake, or controlling my life so to speak. I believe that when we were created and placed here to occupy this earth there were certain laws that were already put into play by our creator to keep us on the right path. If you cut down all the trees, pollute the air and water you will be punished, not in a sense of some God coming down and striking you with bolts of lightening nothing like that. Instead diseases will be inevitable lifespan will be shorten things like that.

If you are an evil person who harbors hatred yur physical body will deteriorate even doctors support this. Evil breeds evil Love breeds love. When you are around negative people it does something to your state of mind. Basically what I'm saying is God wants us to do right for our own good not his and he is not going to make you live right either you do or you will began to feel the consequences. This is how I believe God works. So whether one believes or not they are still bound to the laws and consequences of God.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 PM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Quote:

You made some good points.

Sometimes,the bible teaches people to do good for others,to be kind to others.At this point,I really appreciate it.Actually,any book that teaches people to be upright,loving and peacefl will be appreciated by me without exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality