Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

As much public exposure he has, he probably is aware of the potentially life-shortening effect it might have on him. Look at this thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...nel-fined.html Maybe he was just being pragmatic.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
As much public exposure he has, he probably is aware of the potentially life-shortening effect it might have on him. Look at this thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...nel-fined.html Maybe he was just being pragmatic.
To be honest, I doubt it. He has already gotten himself in hot water for other statements on Islam. He is generally not and easier on it than he is any other religion, but maybe his statement should be taken at face value: that there are gaps in his knowledge that prevent him from making an informed statement on certain aspects of Islamic theology...

-NoCapo

Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
To be honest, I doubt it. He has already gotten himself in hot water for other statements on Islam. He is generally not and easier on it than he is any other religion, but maybe his statement should be taken at face value: that there are gaps in his knowledge that prevent him from making an informed statement on certain aspects of Islamic theology...

-NoCapo
Yeah, I wouldn't think he would be any easier. Being an atheist, gaps of knowledge about a religions specifics wouldn't really matter, would it? I am just wondering if he has cut it back a notch in more recent times, seeing how the demographics in England has changed somewhat.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

794 posts, read 846,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I would predict that by 'context and 'understanding', you mean a lot of Faith -based excuses for the monstrous doings of a monstrous god. Dawkins does not buy into such wretched PR for biblegod any more than I do.

But, while we unbelievers feel utter distaste for the ruthless, vile and immoral doings of the god of the Bible, we conclude that such a god is unbelievable and is just the mental construct of men who thought in those terms. Thus, we do not hate such a god, we disbelieve in it.

Since we disbelieve in the god of the Bible, that means inevitably that we disbelieve in all the religions of the Book - including Islam.
The potter can do with the clay as he pleases. Who is the clay to question the potter? By context I mean the true meaning of scripture. God did nothing monstrous. What's the purpose of being sovereign if you don't hold true to your covenants?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
The potter can do with the clay as he pleases. Who is the clay to question the potter? By context I mean the true meaning of scripture. God did nothing monstrous. What's the purpose of being sovereign if you don't hold true to your covenants?
Covenants, and how they are violated are subjective to the sovereign though. And the last I checked, the people of Canaan were not privy to them. And the clay is only shaped by the potter if he understands how to shape it . The clay can be fickle, and not mold to his likeability.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah
Perhaps he's quite attached to his head and doesn't want to be separated from it?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Kind of ironic isn't it Preacher, you accusing somebody of doing the exact same thing that you yourself do............. When faced with the hard questions you seem to make a hasty retreat to avoid answering the questions .......... Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black..
I'm still here Chief. What's your problem with me?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh. I see. So therefore, by this spectacularly illogical conclusion, you are therefore a mega-coward, since you, Vizio, always and predictably evade any questions I and others have posted to you on topics in Evolution, geology, astronomy et al. And yet, you position yourself as some sort of Christian Crusader, replete with a full set of intellectual playing cards to fight the good fight.

What a HOOT! Wait! see! Tis the Viz! https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...rh7Q9humU0ZTUK

FACT: It's because, of course, you have ZERO knowledge with which to defend your personal technical illiteracy on those subjects, and yet you chose to try to use bits of info from your ultra-screwball and technically dumb-a$$'p Christian fundy websites for so-called factual rebuttal information.

Quite funny, this pronouncement of Dr. Dawkins' cowardice by you! Let's compare, shall we?

We have Dawkins, who at least understands the obvious travails of a rabidly fundamentalist & indefensible Christian viewpoint, plus he more than understands The SM and how it has produced reliable duplicatable and logical knowledge that, oh btw, also completely dovetails into other past and newly discovered information, systems and predictable events.

But PS: I'm sure he simply dismisses the sub-set of fanatical rubble-think called Islam and it's desire to kill all us infidels. (Let' 'em come on down...)

And then we have you, who, as a registered Christian Coward, will not answer anything. Can't, won't... whatever. You are in an indefensible position, know it, and seemingly prefer it, as if to not answer gives you credibility!

Keep it up: it's quite humorous and telling, to our side, of the endlessly silly Christian argument. But then, also know that, in the end, education of our ever-smarter and internet savvy children, and well-taught critical thinking skills, will resolve it all, and Christianity will die a righteous death...

http://weburbanist.com/wp-content/up...a-interior.jpg
I think I was pretty clear in pointing out that Dawkins is a coward. He loves to take Christians to task but is afraid to comment on Islam.

I'm sorry for actually saying something critical of your folk hero Dawkins...but he's just not a very bright mind when it comes to theology, nor does he apparently have any guts.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.