Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have read his book. I wasn't impressed. He's not a great mind when it comes to theology. It's pretty amateurish. He doesn't understand Christianity, or Judaism--based on his writing. But he does like to spout off about it.
He doesn't understand theology to a evangelical christian. Meaning that because he doesn't agree with you, then he must not understand it. Exactly what non believers have great minds on theology then?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
I have made the decision that Dawkins doesn't know much about either the bible or the koran. He spouts off on the Bible because he doesn't fear the backlash that he would get if he spouted off about the koran--specifically as he's being interviewed by al-jazeera.

So now you are sure he has not read the Koran, but you are still accusing him of lying about not having enough information to form an opinion??

Yes. ALL atheists hate God. The bible says it, and I believe it. Atheism is not an intellectual position. It's a position of emotion. If you want to claim you don't know if there's a god--great. You're not an atheist--you're an agnostic. But to say there IS NOT ONE is simply intellectually dishonest.

Of course you believe it because your bible says so... we are getting the picture there. You seriously have a problem with reality: Athiests base their opinion of the bible and "god" on facts or lack thereof, and yet this is emotional??? Who here is saying they are an athiest but is not sure of "god's" existance? I missed that. Intellectually dishonest to say there is no evidence so there's no proof??? PS: Being an athiest only means one can not come to the conclusion that there is a "god." Not that there is a "belief" in no god.

The fact that many of them are here on this forum antagonizing religious people proves that. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...but I don't go seeking out forums devoted to it and make fun of people.
Um. You are the one doing the antagonizing.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 08-24-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
The fact that many of them are here on this forum antagonizing religious people proves that. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...but I don't go seeking out forums devoted to it and make fun of people.
I bet you don't even see the irony of what you posted.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I bet you don't even see the irony of what you posted.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God.
Atheists don't believe God exists. Please explain to everyone how any of us can hate something we don't believe exists. Manderly6 already posted this. I'm making sure you don't miss his question. Take as much space as you need to tell us all about hating things that don't exist.

I cannot wait for Rifleman to join this thread. It should be epic.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Uh-oh. OP is off posting on other threads. Can't back up his statement so maybe he's moving on... too bad.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I'm curious as well....how does an atheist hate something they do not believe in.
My world religion teacher, who is a religious leader in the community says that there are two kinds of atheists- both do not believe there is any god and that we are all here by accident, but one group, a small group compared to its counterpart, are...wait for it....religion haters.
That is the group that this Dawkins guy is catering too, but that is not his sole audience. He got Vis' attention afterall.
I'm not one who chooses to read, let's say, a romance novella, or better yet! The Watchtower, but guess what, I've read them.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I'm curious as well....how does an atheist hate something they do not believe in.
My world religion teacher, who is a religious leader in the community says that there are two kinds of atheists- both do not believe there is any god and that we are all here by accident, but one group, a small group compared to its counterpart, are...wait for it....religion haters.
That is the group that this Dawkins guy is catering too, but that is not his sole audience. He got Vis' attention afterall.
I'm not one who chooses to read, let's say, a romance novella, or better yet! The Watchtower, but guess what, I've read them.
I'm not sure I am understanding the point of your post, but I will add that I have heard Prof. Dawkins say that he thinks his campaign, if you will, would probably be most effective with people who are on the fence about religion, who do not have a great deal invested in it. I don't believe they would be religion-haters.

Your teacher seems to paint with a broad brush.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
He's afraid to comment. He ducked the question. I don't believe for a second that he doesn't know anything about the koran. But it's funny how he can rant about Christianity.
Dawkins is no coward. He was smart.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Here is the actual interview:

RICHARD DAWKINS takes on ISLAM on Al Jazeera TV - YouTube

The OP is quote mining and the very first sentence of their post discredits everything they say. For one, it is impossible for an atheist to hate god. Atheists don't believe in god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.