Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 PM

995 posts, read 956,369 times

Advertisements

Allah IS YHWH. They are one and the same.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Atheists don't believe God exists. Please explain to everyone how any of us can hate something we don't believe exists. Manderly6 already posted this. I'm making sure you don't miss his question. Take as much space as you need to tell us all about hating things that don't exist.

I cannot wait for Rifleman to join this thread. It should be epic.
I always thought you were a christian .

Old 08-24-2013, 05:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I always thought you were a christian .
I am.

That second sentence was poorly written on my part. I can see where my use of the word "we" was confusing. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a attack for you.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I am.

That second sentence was poorly written on my part. I can see where my use of the word "we" was confusing. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a attack for you.
Oh Dew!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have made the decision that Dawkins doesn't know much about either the bible or the koran. He spouts off on the Bible because he doesn't fear the backlash that he would get if he spouted off about the koran--specifically as he's being interviewed by al-jazeera.

Yes. ALL atheists hate God. The bible says it, and I believe it. Atheism is not an intellectual position. It's a position of emotion. If you want to claim you don't know if there's a god--great. You're not an atheist--you're an agnostic. But to say there IS NOT ONE is simply intellectually dishonest.

The fact that many of them are here on this forum antagonizing religious people proves that. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...but I don't go seeking out forums devoted to it and make fun of people.
Decide, do we believe in your god, and hate it, or do we not believe in it! I'd be happy to hate it if it existed, but it would be as pointful as hating unicorns, or flying pigs or magic teapots.

And, Richard Dawkins freely shares his scorn over all religions, Islam included.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
I'm not an atheist, but I love and appreciate the writings and statements of Richard Dawkins. Very intelligent man. In my opinion, there is nothing contradictory with evolutionary biology and spirituality. But I don't feel threatened, angry or confused in the slightest if someone else comes to a very different conclusion about religion. Clearly God was portrayed as a fickle and sometimes cruel entity in the OT. In one religious view, the idea of "God" evolved through the stories and up through the NT. Some interpret the bible as allegory.

I imagine the primary reason he did not speak out about Islam is b/c he didn't want death threats. That has happened to many celebrities. Fundamentalists cannot tolerate differing interpretations of scripture or religion, and some even to the point of killing those with whom they don't agree.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Quote:
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"

Brave atheist ducks the question on Islam | Public Secrets
He has very good reason to duck the question. Look what happen to Theo Van Gogh...

Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"

Here are other possibilities:
  • He feels he isn't familiar enough with Islam to make such statements about the Islamic portrayal of god. (This is a flaw in him, because he should know about it extensively, because he is widely known as a public speaker who is heartily against organized religion, and his opinions are important to people.)
  • He thinks the Muslim portrayal of god is less barbaric than the Old Testament portrayal of god.
  • He was intending his statement to be a subtly sarcastic remark implying that Islam is a dangerous religion...and wrongly assumed most people would get it.
You jump to the conclusion that he was frightened into it, presumably while clapping your hands and salivating, reading the website of some brain dead attention-vampire who's looking for ways to stir people up. Well done Sir

In the video below, Richard Dawkins says the New Testament portrays god as more gentle, although there are some things he likes about that god less (not a direct quote, but a summary of his statement). He also says he does not know so much about the Islamic portrayal of god (again, not a direct quote).

What it sounds like, is he's saying he views the god of the Old Testament as worse than the portrayed god of the New Testament, or the portrayed god of Islam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Here is the actual interview:

RICHARD DAWKINS takes on ISLAM on Al Jazeera TV - YouTube

The OP is quote mining and the very first sentence of their post discredits everything they say. For one, it is impossible for an atheist to hate god. Atheists don't believe in god.

Last edited by Clintone; 08-24-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How the heck do you hate something that doesn't exist?
Exactly what I was thinking. How can I hate something I don't believe in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio
The bible says it, and I believe it.
And there you have it folks.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM

794 posts, read 846,804 times
Quote:

Richard Dawkins is a man who does not understand context. It is the most common argument to label God as a monster as he did for lack of understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.