Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:17 PM

120 posts, read 194,722 times

Advertisements

Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morningModerator cut: delete . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: we don't need or care to know about what you and yourself do with "it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,046,074 times
If reading the Bible and going to church had not previously effected great change in your life then dropping them would of course mean you would see no difference in things now.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,208,770 times
It took me nearly 3 years after shedding belief in Christianity to shake my Christian life. I deeply wanted to remain Christian and prayed constantly to once again believe. But, it was to no avail, no matter how deep I looked I could not find any reason to believe in Christianity.

But, I did have a strong attachment and desire to remain in the folds of Christianity. I did not want to stop being a Christian. Eventually I had to be honest and admit I did not believe and it was an act of hypocrisy to continue calling myself a Christian.

I gained a feeling of self respect and ended the guilt of being a hypocrite when I came to the realization I could no longer be a Christian and closed that part of my life.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,942,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morning Moderator cut: orphaned . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.
I have mostly stopped practicing Christianity and I can say I feel more free to be who I really am. I have felt more relaxed and am able to enjoy my life without much guilt. Going out on the town and having a wild night out and not having any qualms about the topic of sexuality would not be compatible with Christian practice IMO. I'm not saying that I've thrown any chance that God exists out but I just feel what I feel right now.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-10-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,341,414 times
Shedding erroneous beliefs is not just liberating - it's a sign of growth and maturity. It's similar to how most children come to understand that Santa isn't real. The belief may not leave without leaving a trail of wistful nostalgia now and then - but it will leave. And the child will be on his/her way to adulthood.

Repeat periodically and (if you manage to live long enough) you may actually become wise.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:56 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,014,751 times
Quote:
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morning Moderator cut: orphaned. In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.
I know what you mean. I did see your prospective and I did become an unbeliever. Yet at the same time I also wondered if this life is just it? Plus at the back of my mind I knew that something supernatural was out there.

Yet I am a believer now and it gives me comfort to believe loved ones can be in heaven.

I know people that are unbelievers can lead a life that is enjoyable. Yet I believe that my life as a believer is enjoyable too and I can lead the life of fulfilment and happiness.

Anyway I knew of a preacher that admitted that during the course of your life you would find a good reason not to believe in God. I already did already yet I have also discovered what God has brought to me in life as well.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-10-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,890,514 times
You could still have faith in Jesus and God without going to church or follow any organized religion. Religion brings also comfort.

BTW you don't have to go to church to be Christian... Many Christians I know go to church only on Xmas and Easter or for any big occasion.Moderator cut: orphaned response Christianity is very simple religion (no strict clothing or dietary law unlike Islam and Judaism).

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: remark about masturbating has been deleted

Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,978,704 times
Quote:
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morningModerator cut: orphaned . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.
Yep, once I walked away from my religious beliefs, it was like a tremendous weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It is liberating indeed. Welcome to the club!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-10-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
You could still have faith in Jesus and God without going to church or follow any organized religion. Religion brings also comfort.

BTW you don't have to go to church to be Christian... Many Christians I know go to church only on Xmas and Easter or for any big occasion.Moderator cut: orphaned response Christianity is very simple religion (no strict clothing or dietary law unlike Islam and Judaism).
That's true, and a secular worldview (which is what I see as a mission statement) can be very tolerant of those with religious faiths and even religious observances - so long as they stay out of politics and keep their sticky fingers out of education and science.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,890,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It took me nearly 3 years after shedding belief in Christianity to shake my Christian life. I deeply wanted to remain Christian and prayed constantly to once again believe. But, it was to no avail, no matter how deep I looked I could not find any reason to believe in Christianity.

But, I did have a strong attachment and desire to remain in the folds of Christianity. I did not want to stop being a Christian. Eventually I had to be honest and admit I did not believe and it was an act of hypocrisy to continue calling myself a Christian.

I gained a feeling of self respect and ended the guilt of being a hypocrite when I came to the realization I could no longer be a Christian and closed that part of my life.
Interesting. I had no idea you converted to Islam from Christianity.

What makes Islam more true or more faithful than Christianity? Why would you believe in Islam and not Cristianity or Judaism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality