Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 PM

360 posts, read 445,674 times

Advertisements

I've heard many a debater propose how foolish all these darn "Christian beliefs" we share; that we all believe in hell, in Young Earth, that every story in the Bible is literal.

I just want to clarify this for those who believe that all Christians share the same beliefs, or refuse to for whatever reason . The truth is, the only belief all Christians really share is that Jesus Christ is their savior. Trust me, we'e not all Young Earth theorists. We don't all go out and yell that everyone will be consumed by the fires of hell if they don't repent immediately.

What does that mean for those who like to generalize us? Well, thing is, you can't. Please, if you have a problem with a specific denomination, just specify it, for goodness sake; there's 30,000+, and not one is alike.

Moderator cut: Deleted -- Does not comply to the TOS or the Stickies

Last edited by june 7th; 05-15-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,148,611 times
I'm with you, Ohioan Kid. I'd add something to what you said, but you really said it all.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,123 times
Do all Christians accept that a man named Jesus was killed and three days later walked out of a tomb? Do they believe he actually healed a blind man? Do they believe he turned water into wine? Do they think Jesus was a virgin birth?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Do all Christians accept that a man named Jesus was killed and three days later walked out of a tomb? Do they believe he actually healed a blind man? Do they believe he turned water into wine? Do they think Jesus was a virgin birth?
I think it would be safe to say that we have that much in common. But, just as an example of what Ohioan Kid was saying, some Christians will tell you that Jesus' mother, Mary, remained a virgin throughout her life. Others will tell you that she was a virgin only up until after she gave birth to her Son. Since our beliefs on so many things are so varied, it would really be nice not to be told you believe something you really don't believe.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think it would be safe to say that we have that much in common. But, just as an example of what Ohioan Kid was saying, some Christians will tell you that Jesus' mother, Mary, remained a virgin throughout her life. Others will tell you that she was a virgin only up until after she gave birth to her Son. Since our beliefs on so many things are so varied, it would really be nice not to be told you believe something you really don't believe.
Some of those fundamental beliefs are patently absurd.

For those that like Jesus' teachings, Jefferson was already on the up-and-up.
Amazon.com: The Jefferson Bible (0046442077149): Thomas Jefferson, Forrest Church: Books

Christians take Jesus as more than just "wise teacher." The supernatural elements are undoubtedly widespread through all Christians--and those beliefs are patently absurd.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Christians take Jesus as more than just "wise teacher." The supernatural elements are undoubtedly widespread through all Christians--and those beliefs are patently absurd.
Okay, well that's not only just a matter of opinion, Moderator cut: deleted I respect your right to anti-Christian beliefs, but at least try to stick to the topic -- which is that all Christians do not believe alike on all matters of doctrine and it would be nice if people would not paint us all with the same brush.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-16-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Okay, well that's not only just a matter of opinion, it's also not really what the OP is about. I respect your right to anti-Christian beliefs, but at least try to stick to the topic -- which is that all Christians do not believe alike on all matters of doctrine and it would be nice if people would not paint us all with the same brush.
Would you be willing to say that all Christians accept that Jesus was crucified, killed, and then was resurrected three days after death to walk on the land again?

Would you be willing to say that Jesus performed other miracles, such as feeding several thousand people with little food, or healed the physically blind, specifically through supernatural means?

These claims are absurd. That isn't opinion.

Like I said, if people love Jesus that much--reject the silly-nanny supernaturalism and pick up Jefferson's book.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
They're absurd to you. They're not absurd to me. I guess that's because I can accept the fact that there are some things which cannot be proven by science but which are, nevertheless, true. I believe in something bigger than myself. You apparently don't.

Look, I don't care what you think of my beliefs, and I don't mind in the slightest that you don't believe like I do. I really don't. I'm not here to shove my faith down your throat. Moderator cut: deleted

Now how about some reciprocal respect. Live and let live. If I believe in something really stupid, really absurd, it really isn't hurting you at all, now is it?

Last edited by june 7th; 05-16-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
They're absurd to you. They're not absurd to me. Look, I don't care what you think of my beliefs, and I don't mind in the slightest that you don't believe like I do. I really don't. I'm not here to shove my faith down your throat. Now how about some reciprocal respect.
Absurd:
  • inconsistent with reason or logic or common sense; "the absurd predicament of seeming to argue that virtue is highly desirable but intensely ...
  • a situation in which life seems irrational and meaningless; "The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"--Albert Camus
  • incongruous;inviting ridicule; "the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework"; "that's a cockeyed idea"; "ask a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer"; "a contribution so small as to be laughable"; "it is ludicrous to call a cottage a mansion"; "a preposterous attempt to turn back ...
Moving on.

A person coming back from the dead after three days is absurd because it is medically and physically impossible.

A person feeding 4000 people with seven loaves of bread is patently absurd. The loaves would have been of ridiculous proportions to do so.

The healing of the blind through supernatural means is again absurd. The physical deformities that cause blindness cannot be hand-waved away.

Explanations that are specifically not supernatural exist for these claims--yet are rejected by (most) Christians. Those Christians that do accept natural explanations (God is not a natural explanation) for these occurrences are few and far between--and not the subject of my ridicule or likely that of others.

This isn't about you personally, so do not take it as such. These are about the beliefs you hold and the claims you make. Think of it as a "hate the sin, not the sinner" kind of mind-set.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,640,220 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
A belief in supernatural events is fairly universal across cultures, including cultures that do not have a belief in God as such. Saying that the supernatural is "patently absurd" is a very modern notion, one that not everyone is going to accept. For that matter it's one that not every atheist even accepts. Britain is full of people who believe in ghosts, but not God and Iceland reportedly has many who believe in elves but not God.

So you're essentially saying your subset of a group (non-theists) which is itself a narrow subset of people gets to say what's absurd or not. Worse that your personally view of what counts as absurd is absurd, rather than just your opinion of the absurd. And you guys wonder why people say atheists are arrogant?

Last edited by june 7th; 05-15-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality