Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM

27,802 posts, read 28,913,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Your life might be the same, but your death won't be.
Every single human on earth will go to the same place after they're dead.

Your religion or lack thereof will make no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,648,455 times
Ah, welcome to the land of freedom. No idol worship, free to answer "I don't know" to questions about life, the universe, creation. It's a very honest approach to life. Admitting you're always seeking knowledge, that you don't know the answers. I love it. I'm never worried about making a mistake, choosing the wrong road, becoming close minded. It's truly liberating to just admit you don't know.

If you find out one day, and proof supplies itself, you can just know. See how simple it is.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,235,194 times
These type of threads have so many predictable theist responses.

Deluded by imaginary devil - check
Not a true believer - check

It really amazes me that theists toss the argumentum absurdium out as if they will make one iota of difference. IMO when a theist loses their faith, it scares others or reminds them that that which they hold so dearly to is no more than the adult version of childhood fantasy.

I guess it is like we heathens can espouse a parallel we so often hear theists saying to us, "you secretly know it is all BS"

To the OP, yes life really does not change in the nitty gritty of day to day life. One is however relieved of the mental anguish of trying to force square pegs into round holes. Welcome to reality.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM

50,134 posts, read 20,897,264 times
Yes, Seeker ol' pal, there are many examples of Projection -thinking by Believers, and one is that they think that rationalists (the place where science and atheism gets joined at the hip ) live in terror of some Scientific Discovery that will smash their edifice of beliefs and bring it crashing down.

We are not in the least afraid of discoveries, though, as I mentioned in the 'stumped' thread, the T Rex meat and the NAMI Ark were a shocker and a puzzler - and that Cambodian Stegosaur is still bothering me - I am even thinking of going out there to have a look. Even if it completely overturns some piece of knowledge we had, we do not go into denial over it or try to argue that science is getting it wrong. Even stuff like the Hologram beyond the cosmos or the puzzle of the observed experiment which can be Woo enough to be wangled as a gap for God. Even the Hard question had be going for a while, but mainly because I was working on my own on a concept that I found difficult (qualiasoup's helpful you -tube gave me a leg up there) and while it still has mileage, it is no more evidence of 'God' (or perhaps I should should say 'evidence overturning the validity of the Naturalist -materialist/Monist position as a default with the burden of disproof falling on the dualists) than proton bifurcation or the possibility that the universe is all a 2 -dimensional hologram.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-16-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM

889 posts, read 828,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Apart from dying with a god -belief (which is the only difference about Knower's life), how is it going to be not the same?
You're from London. Heck, in 50 years, London will be an Islamic city. Why do you care?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,800,898 times
Quote:
You're from London. Heck, in 50 years, London will be an Islamic city. Why do you care?
What does that have to do with anything? I doubt Arq will convert to Islam even if it does become the majority religion... Plus Muslims believe an a heaven and hell sort of afterlife as well, they would probably agree with you.

-NoCapo

Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,430,937 times
Quote:
There will be riots on the street of London if it came close to that.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,312,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Every single human on earth will go to the same place after they're dead.

Your religion or lack thereof will make no difference.
I agree with this but would suggest that the means of travel, perceived length of time to make the trip, and comfort level, or lack thereof, during the trip - will vary with the individual.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,757,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ah, welcome to the land of freedom. No idol worship, free to answer "I don't know" to questions about life, the universe, creation. It's a very honest approach to life. Admitting you're always seeking knowledge, that you don't know the answers. I love it. I'm never worried about making a mistake, choosing the wrong road, becoming close minded. It's truly liberating to just admit you don't know.

If you find out one day, and proof supplies itself, you can just know. See how simple it is.
Great post. We are free to "believe" whatever we choose to believe in. That's where faith and hope come in. "I THINK this is the way things are, but then again...I could be wrong. Either way, right or wrong, it's my cross to bear."

Unlike you though, I am ALWAYS worried about making mistakes......ALWAYS, and but not usually about my spiritual beliefs.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM

50,134 posts, read 20,897,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There will be riots on the street of London if it came close to that.
There already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality