Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,253,175 times

Advertisements

Faith and Evolutionary theory are not mutually exclusive. Yes, you need a certain amount of faith to believe anything, but its all about adding up the evidence and making a rational conclusion.

Evolution does not necessarily disprove God, but it does disprove certain claims in the book of Genesis. The Earth is absolutely and undeniably older than 6,000 years, and if the earth was created in six literal days then dinosaurs and man existed at the same time, which we know also not to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,799,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
This is all assuming that the garden was located some 6,000 years ago in what is now know as Iraq ( euphrates/tigris etc..).

Anyway, if someday science finds out they've been wrong about geology, carbon half life, astronomy, speed of light etc... I'm all with you.

In the meantime, evolution in no way can detract from my faith in JESUS.

Frankly I don't believe it's anymore of a leap to believe that most scientists are in the dark, as it is to believe that an ancient book written thousands of years ago in a different language by an author who's identity is disputed might be figurative, or at least difficult to agree on.
Well, in my post I said "biblically" which means according to the bible which means believing the bible is true. Obviously you don't. Obviously you and a lot of other theistic evolutionists place science ahead of the Word of God. Your choice.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,629,491 times
I have no problem whatsoever believing in a Creator. When I look at the world around me, indeed the universe, it amazes me that one could think that it all came about by chance. That being said, I also don't have a problem that our Creator could have used evolution as a means to start things up, (so to speak), and science is merely explaining it in different terms. I'll admit, I'm certainly no scientist, nor do I completely understand the theory of evolution. I just see no reason that creation and evolution necessarily have to be entirely separate from one another. But, that's just my opinion, which is worth about as much as everyone else's, on this subject.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,667,622 times
I don't know any Christians in Europe ( including preachers, vicars, and pastors) who do not believe in Evolution.

I am astounded that some people believe the earth is 6000 years old, but then again as an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I guess I would be...

Fossils, dinosaurs, Lucy, ? Are these elaborate hoaxes and are all scientists and most of the western world completely deluded. We must be I guess.

Some painted and engraved caves such as the Chauvet cave in South Western France alone date from over 30 000 years ago !?!?!?!?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 AM

679 posts, read 1,441,494 times
Here you go, Mooseketeer:
1) Yes, it's an elaborate hoax by godless scientists who are pawns of the devil or
2) Dating is not reliable, so scientists are just confused

Old 09-07-2007, 07:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,224,264 times
"""So, if you add evolution to the biblical account, you get death and dying for no reason. There was death before sin and after sin."""

No reason for death?? How about death to move the older beings (people, trees, animals, etc) out of the way to make room for the younger more vigorous lives?

Living, just so you can die and go to heaven, doesn't appeal to everyone.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
This is all assuming that the garden was located some 6,000 years ago in what is now know as Iraq ( euphrates/tigris etc..).

Anyway, if someday science finds out they've been wrong about geology, carbon half life, astronomy, speed of light etc... I'm all with you.

In the meantime, evolution in no way can detract from my faith in JESUS.

Frankly I don't believe it's anymore of a leap to believe that most scientists are in the dark, as it is to believe that an ancient book written thousands of years ago in a different language by an author who's identity is disputed might be figurative, or at least difficult to agree on.
I find it difficult to understand your faith in Jesus if that's your faith in the Bible. Exactly where does your faith come from if not the Word?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:06 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,224,264 times
Alpha..... we need to understand that people have different ways of looking at things.

Having faith is one thing. Living and experiencing life and all those good things of the earth should be able to give a sense of faith in a Supreme Being.

Having faith because of something that was read in a book, doesn't mean much to a lot of people. Words would not produce faith in someone with a skeptical mind. They need much more than the Word.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Alpha..... we need to understand that people have different ways of looking at things.

Having faith is one thing. Living and experiencing life and all those good things of the earth should be able to give a sense of faith in a Supreme Being.

Having faith because of something that was read in a book, doesn't mean much to a lot of people. Words would not produce faith in someone with a skeptical mind. They need much more than the Word.
Uh, I understand that people have a different way of looking at things.

But my question is exactly what is Oakback's faith in Christ based on if not this 'book that doesn't mean much to a lot of people".

Where else could Oakback be getting ANY knowledge of Christ from?

Faith in Buddhism, Hinduism, trees, whatever...ok...no problem... I wouldn't even post. But to say "My faith in Jesus hasn't got much to do with the only document that discusses the fact He's worthy of faith" is a bit askew, in my opinion. (I paraphrase, but you understand)

Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM

443 posts, read 1,543,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
As a skeptic, evidence is the only thing that will ever change my mind.

I've read the KJV multiple times, and it didn't stir a single positive emotion in me.

That being said, I'm often told to 'read the bible, and the lord will warm your heart.'

It didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality