Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times

Advertisements

Please read the Old Testament without any ecclesiologial or faith preconceptions. Wherever you start or finish you will soon see that as narrative it is incoherent, mixed, inconsistent and full of holes, duplications and discrepancies.

The truth that it contains is not ultimately historical or factual, but rather a statement about who God's people are, what they believe and what has made them they way they are.

That faith is beyond the realm of argument. It is not rational in the way that saying 'coochy choochy coo' to a baby is not rational. It is a response to how we feel about who we are in this universe, why we might be here and what we might be supposed to do with our lives.

My caveat is that one person's spiritual fulfilment does not lead to another person's physical, emotional, mental or spiritual damage.

So that any religious prescriptions or laws which encourage hatred towards any other person, their death, deprivation or diminution is ultimately evil in its effect.

Since one hears a lot about just such religious laws, fundamentalist Christians and Islaamists seem to have a great deal in common in their desire to 'punish' the 'undesirables'. So that the American Christian Right is on the same side as the people who are responsible for the attack on the Twin Towers.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

Faith, in my opinion it not possible to defend rationally. One either has it, or not.
Many, have only faith in their own belief. So be it. But they seem to have as much difficulty describing it as I do.
I had to quote the above. It's excellent. What a remarkable distinction.

Thank you, Oakback.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Faith. If you have it and were raised in Egypt, you would today be either a Coptic Christian or a Muslim.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Faith. If you have it and were raised in Egypt, you would today be either a Coptic Christian or a Muslim.
I found this quote that I believe refutes your post:

"Genetic Fallacy

The error of trying to disprove a belief by tracing it to its source. For example, Kekulé thought up the (correct) ring structure of the benzene (C6H6) molecule after a dream of a snake grasping its tail, but chemists don’t need to worry about correct ophiology to analyse benzene!

However, many anti-Christians commit this fallacy when they try to disprove Christianity by pointing out alleged parallels in pagan mythology. Another example is: ‘You only believe Christianity because you were indoctrinated by your parents and culture; if you came from a Hindu family and culture you would be a Hindu’, with the spoken or unspoken impression ‘thus Christianity need not be preferred over Hinduism’. In neither case can anything be inferred about the truth of Christianity from reasons a Christian’s belief allegedly originated." - By Jonathan Sarfati. First published:TJ 12(2):142–151 August 1998 <empahsis mine>

Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I had to quote the above. It's excellent. What a remarkable distinction.

Thank you, Oakback.
Rather Faith is the evidence of things not seen. Check out the Bible it has alot to say on Faith. The evidence it speaks of is a legally binding evidence. I have faith in God. This faith that I have is legal evidence that God exists. I do not have to prove him. But my faith is based on experiences that I have had in my own life. This means that its not "blind faith" but real, observed, experienced faith. I have faith that the ground under my feet will support me by experience, so my faith in God has been supported by experiences in my life.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezekiahuk2 View Post
Please read the Old Testament without any ecclesiologial or faith preconceptions. Wherever you start or finish you will soon see that as narrative it is incoherent, mixed, inconsistent and full of holes, duplications and discrepancies.

The truth that it contains is not ultimately historical or factual, but rather a statement about who God's people are, what they believe and what has made them they way they are.

That faith is beyond the realm of argument. It is not rational in the way that saying 'coochy choochy coo' to a baby is not rational. It is a response to how we feel about who we are in this universe, why we might be here and what we might be supposed to do with our lives.

My caveat is that one person's spiritual fulfilment does not lead to another person's physical, emotional, mental or spiritual damage.

So that any religious prescriptions or laws which encourage hatred towards any other person, their death, deprivation or diminution is ultimately evil in its effect.

Since one hears a lot about just such religious laws, fundamentalist Christians and Islaamists seem to have a great deal in common in their desire to 'punish' the 'undesirables'. So that the American Christian Right is on the same side as the people who are responsible for the attack on the Twin Towers.

What do you think?
What the...

There is too much crap for me to reply to here. First there is no errors in the Bible. There is no discrepancies or falsifications. The problem that I have found with people who think this is that they do not understand the Bible. Most say this because they are accually quoting someone else, never having read the Bible for themselves. Alot believe this to discredit the Bible because they hate God. If you think the Bible is full of errors give an example. There are answers to any question you have.

The Bible is an historical document. The text is so from Genesis 1:1

And, what is this about fundamentalist christian who wants to "punish"... If that is the case then maybe they are not actually Christians but rather just plain old athiest. If they are christians they are not being true to their belief in a merciful and forgiving God. That is terrible that you would put a Christian on the side of the terrrorists. What religious Christian Law are you talking about? Again you speak here with generalities.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
If you think the Bible is full of errors give an example. There are answers to any question you have.
Ok... I'll play

Matthew 13:31-32 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

31Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

1. Least of all seeds? I'm guessing smallest of all seeds. Is the Mustard Seed the smallest of all seeds?

2. Do mustard seeds grow into trees?

I think the answer to both questions is no...

Also.. I'd like to know how you can prove the Bible is without errors..

Last edited by bigthirsty; 11-08-2007 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Ok... I'll play

Matthew 13:31-32 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

31Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

1. Least of all seeds? I'm guessing smallest of all seeds. Is the Mustard Seed the smallest of all seeds?

2. Do mustard seeds grow into trees?

I think the answer to both questions is no.
I think you just proved:

1.) The KJV is not the best translation in the world.

2.) One shouldn't use parables for botany lessons. (That's not the point of the parable!)

But that hardly qualifies this passage of Matthew as contradictory or irrelevant. Just misused in this case.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Rather Faith is the evidence of things not seen. Check out the Bible it has alot to say on Faith. The evidence it speaks of is a legally binding evidence. I have faith in God. This faith that I have is legal evidence that God exists. I do not have to prove him. But my faith is based on experiences that I have had in my own life. This means that its not "blind faith" but real, observed, experienced faith.
The evidence you speak of exists only in your mind, hence the distinction, "things not seen." We cannot "believe" something into existence.
Quote:
I have faith that the ground under my feet will support me by experience, so my faith in God has been supported by experiences in my life.
The ground is not a thing "unseen."

Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
2.) One shouldn't use parables for botany lessons. (That's not the point of the parable!)
Yet, many Christians don't see a problem using Genesis for a geology/cosmology/biology lesson. Perhaps that's not the point of Genesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality