Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,078,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think you just proved:

1.) The KJV is not the best translation in the world.

2.) One shouldn't use parables for botany lessons. (That's not the point of the parable!)

But that hardly qualifies this passage of Matthew as contradictory or irrelevant. Just misused in this case.
1. I never said it was contradictory or irrelevant.

2. I stated that that mustard seeds don't grow into trees

3. You stated thats not the point of the parable

4. I'm stating whether its the point or not doesn't matter. The point is mustard seeds don't grow into trees.. and thus that is an error.

We could go on and on but its a circular reference...

The point is you can't prove the bibles errancy or inerrancy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 PM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
mustard seeds don't grow into trees.. and thus that is an error.
You're assuming two things:

1.) That "mustard seeds" and "trees" were translated correctly. In this case I don't know if there were or not, but I do enough about Greek to know that there are terms and concepts that just don't translate into modern English, so translators have to do their best with what they have. A good example are the Greek words phileo, eros, and agape. All different terms with very different meanings, all translated into the New Testament as "love."

2.) That the people of the time even differentiated between trees and bushes. Remember that they didn't exactly have botany textbooks back then, and some languages covered both concepts with one word. It isn't an error so much as the language being a reflection of the people and world of the time.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're assuming two things:

1.) That "mustard seeds" and "trees" were translated correctly. In this case I don't know if there were or not, but I do enough about Greek to know that there are terms and concepts that just don't translate into modern English, so translators have to do their best with what they have. A good example are the Greek words phileo, eros, and agape. All different terms with very different meanings, all translated into the New Testament as "love."

2.) That the people of the time even differentiated between trees and bushes. Remember that they didn't exactly have botany textbooks back then, and some languages covered both concepts with one word. It isn't an error so much as the language being a reflection of the people and world of the time.
Like I said.. you can't prove the bibles errancy or inerrancy

Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,495,904 times
Quote:
Ok... I'll play

Matthew 13:31-32 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

31Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

1. Least of all seeds? I'm guessing smallest of all seeds. Is the Mustard Seed the smallest of all seeds?

2. Do mustard seeds grow into trees?

I think the answer to both questions is no...

Also.. I'd like to know how you can prove the Bible is without errors..
Here is a quote from Wikipedia under the subject "mustard seeds:"

"Mustard seeds in fact grow into trees, not shrubs."

Furthermore, when Jesus spoke a parable He did so in the context of the life situations and understandings of His audience. As far as those first-century farmers in Palestine knew, the mustard seed was the smallest seed or the least of all seeds. The Greek word is Mikroteros from mikros meaning small in size or QUANTITY or little in dignity (The Analytical Greek Lexicon, p. 276). So the meaning here can very easily be that the mustard seed was of the least value to the first-century farmer and not necessarily the smallest. Also, the black mustard seed can grow to a 12-foot tree! So Jesus' point is that what is seen to be of the least value can become of the most worth in the kingdom.

We do not have a problem with the veracity of the Bible. We do not need to prove that it is without error. It is required of the naysayers that they prove that it is!

Preterist

Last edited by Preterist; 11-08-2007 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,445,088 times
Quote:
Are the two mutually exclusive?
Imho they aren't

God is so smart that he knew it would be boring to create a static world, he intended it to be dynamic so he created a rough seed that would keep maturing and the beings living here would keep evolving until they become divine and merge into God again.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Here is a quote from Wikipedia under the subject "mustard seeds:"

"Mustard seeds in fact grow into trees, not shrubs."

Furthermore, when Jesus spoke a parable He did so in the context of the life situations and understandings of His audience. As far as those first-century farmers in Palestine knew, the mustard seed was the smallest seed.

We do not have a problem with the veracity of the Bible. We do not need to prove that it is without error. It is required of the naysayers that they prove that it is!

Preterist
1. Are there any pictures of mustard trees?

2. There wasn't a footnote stating "palestinian farmers would only know the mustard seed as the smallest seed". The question is was it the smallest seed at the time.

But alas.. and finally...

you can't prove the bibles errancy or inerrancy

Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I bet I can give you the best answer to this thread if you all just go and rep Kawpgz (City-Data Forum) to push her over to gold. Go ahead I dare you.
I did my part :-)

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
We do not need to prove that it is without error. It is required of the naysayers that they prove that it is!

Preterist

You have it quite backwards, friend. Check out the discussion of Russell's Teapot at wikipedia.org.

Russell's teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
//
Russell's teapot, sometimes called the Celestial Teapot, was an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), intended to refute the idea that the burden of proof lies upon the sceptic to disprove unfalsifiable claims of religions. In an article entitled "Is There a God?",[1] commissioned (but never published) by Illustrated magazine in 1952, Russell wrote:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.
//
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality