Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,899,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The only One True Religion & God is, obviously, the only one we can touch. taste and savor:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster!

(Unlike YahWeh; this one makes yah feel good, is only slightly habit-forming, comes in colors red & pleasant, and has a world-wide following & appeal, esp. in the pleasant, sunny Mediterranean. How much better is that than the guilt-assigning Abrahamic version?)
Praise to the pasta! Blessed be his noodlyness!!!

My opinion. Is any religion true? No. Is all religion delusional? No. Are some religions delusional? Yes. See, this is a simple question to answer...

I get why people would want to hold on to religion, because the truth is painfully cold, cruel, meaningless and empty. I'd rather get emotionally wrapped up in "Lord of the Rings" than read the Encyclopedia Britannica too, but that doesn't make the truth any less true, however. Absolute truth and applicablity to human psychology are two different things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM

5,989 posts, read 10,515,580 times
Any religion that involves belief in a deity is delusional, IMO. There are a few philosophies that are considered to be religions, such as Buddhism and Taoism, that do not have deities or creators (except as metaphors). That's why I personally find both very compatible with my thinking.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,133,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Any religion that involves belief in a deity is delusional, IMO. There are a few philosophies that are considered to be religions, such as Buddhism and Taoism, that do not have deities or creators (except as metaphors). That's why I personally find both very compatible with my thinking.
Your thinking = Not Delusional

I like that.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Delusions are the product of limited intelligence, and human beings can be said to have limited intelligence. We're all looking through a glass darkly when it comes to Ultimate Cosmic Truth.

The above does not apply to atheists, of course.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Praise to the pasta! Blessed be his noodlyness!!!

My opinion. Is any religion true? No. Is all religion delusional? No. Are some religions delusional? Yes. See, this is a simple question to answer...

I get why people would want to hold on to religion, because the truth is painfully cold, cruel, meaningless and empty. I'd rather get emotionally wrapped up in "Lord of the Rings" than read the Encyclopedia Britannica too, but that doesn't make the truth any less true, however. Absolute truth and applicablity to human psychology are two different things...
Nihilism is not for everyone.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
People need to believe in life after death, not everybody of course. Throughout history
there has been believing in, and praying to gods. I say live, and let live, bit it's not for me.
Why? There is no need to believe what is not true, that is simply a delusion.

Quote:
Psychiatry . a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM

40 posts, read 60,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Honestly, there's no way for us to know until we die and we either meet our maker in the afterlife or simply cease to exist. Those who don't believe in God will answer accordingly (usually rudely or condescendingly, as evidenced by some of the previous posts) .
Vejadu, please list the "rude or condescending" remarks made ahead of your post and explain why they're rude or condescending. Each post from an atheist on this thread prior to your post was factual in nature and not the least bit rude.

Perhaps the oversensitivity of religious people, and their arrogand demand that all accept their beliefs as fact, is the real problem here.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
I get so sick of this assumption. The problem is the oversensitivity or reglisious people who are appalled whenever someone doesn't bend over backwards to respect their spooky delusions. The issue is not the "rudeness" of atheists.

If I say "your belief is a delusion, and there is zero evidence of god", I am stating fact. Yet a religious person will declare this a rude statement, even though there wasn't a single insulting breath in that sentence.

Vejadu, please list the "rude or condescending" remarks made ahead of your post and explain why they're rude or condescending.
You have no empathy.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,272,602 times
Theophane: Nihilism and atheism are not synonymous. One can live with an ethical sense and not believe in a deity.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

If all these so-called delusions are chased away, nihilism (the belief in nothing) is what remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality