Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Supreme Court has ruled that religious thought but not religious ritual is protected, but that favors Christianity and disfavors Judaism.

How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Another case would be that if a law were imposed that represented a specifically religious idea or something unique to a religious belief. That would be unconstitutional.
That's exactly what is wrong with the prohibition of polygamy: it's something unique to a single, in this case, Christian religious belief.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
How so?
Much of Judaism is ritual: prohibition against eating other than kosher food (except when necessary to save a life); lighting Shabbat candles; prohibition against any form of work on Shabbat; lighting Chanukah Menorah; fasting on Yom Kippur; circumcision of male child on the 8th say (except when medical problems delay, or, may even, prevent); etc., etc.

Christianity has none such rituals.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what is wrong with the prohibition of polygamy: it's something unique to a single, in this case, Christian religious belief.
I already agreed with you on this point, Walter. So, I'm not sure why you're quoting my post. You are "preaching to the choir", pun intended.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Much of Judaism is ritual: prohibition against eating other than kosher food (except when necessary to save a life); lighting Shabbat candles; prohibition against any form of work on Shabbat; lighting Chanukah Menorah; fasting on Yom Kippur; circumcision of male child on the 8th say (except when medical problems delay, or, may even, prevent); etc., etc.

Christianity has none such rituals.

All of those things are still perfectly legal, to my knowledge. No?

Some Christian sects certainly have rituals. Catholocism springs immediately to mind with things like confession, prayer candles, Lent, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Polygamy is a good example. General laws against polygamy won't be ruled unconstitutional because of the establishment clause. There are secular interests in the prohibition. My own opposition to civil polygamy has nothing to do with religion. I just don't have a feel for how it would work in the context of all our laws that presume 2 people in a marriage--- social security, child custody, insurance, etc.

Will courts eventually permit polygamy for those whose religion commands it ? Possible. I think courts have carved out religious exemptions to general laws. Peyote use comes to mind.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Congrats on seeing the error in your previous way of thinking.

Your new correct way of thinking is more in tune with representative government and the Bill of Rights.
You forgot about the first amendment..

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Will courts eventually permit polygamy for those whose religion commands it ?
While all religions, except most forms of Christianity, do not prohibit polygamy, as far as I know, none require polygamy.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
All of those things are still perfectly legal, to my knowledge. No?
At this time, yes.

However, there are many who want to ban circumcision and shechita (kosher slaughter).

Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
But then, the law itself has nothing to do with religion; the lawmakers simply have religious (or non-religious, as the case may be) reasons for wanting the law to be passed. We're free to vote (or not vote) as our concience dictates -- whether for religious or personal reasons, or simply because we think a purple hippopotamus named 'Henry' told us to.
).
This has been my point the entire time. When asked what we should do about those voting on religious beliefs, hooligan replied that that is what the supreme court is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality