Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,838,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Nonsense.Most Christians are motivated by what they are taught as kids,not some kind of personal experience.That is why most Christians stay Christian,Buddhists stay Buddhist,Moslems Moslem,Hindus Hindu.Very little critical reflection on whether what you have been taught is supportable by facts is ever done.

How would you explain rational, mature, educated adults becoming Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,093,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
IMO, they aren't rational, they are slightly delusional.
People can function through life having mental illnesses, and this is one of them.
Education has nothing to do with it, there are many insane geniuses.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,577,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
People can function through life having mental illnesses, and this is one of them.
Exactly.

Those thoroughly indoctrinated as children are pretty much doomed to a life believing in the fantasy steeped in absurdities. A major part of their indoctrination is to accept absurdities without question.

Arriving in adulthood without being so programmed, then to willfully swallow the impossible indicates there are other flaws with their reasoning and logic.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,890,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i have faith that organized western religions teach incorrect facts, just like Greek and Roman mytholoigies do. I have faith that it's a very old, and factually wrong attempt at people trying to understand the world around them. So yes, in some context I do have faith.
Might I suggest that it's not faith you have, it's trust. That trust is based on the evidence that all past religions were factually wrong and are now regarded as mythology. That leads you to trust that all present Western organised religions will go the same way...based on the evidence that all past religions have now died out.

To have faith means that you have no evidence for what you believe but in fact there is masses of verifiable evidence for what you believe.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,009,562 times
Quote:

It is their choice.Nothing I said precluded that happening.I simply said MOST Christians follow what they were taught as kids.

In addition,if an adult feels the need to appeal to a higher power for help with his life,is it reasonable to expect a person living in Christian America to seek out the Hindu god?Christianity pervades all of American culture.It is perfectly normal for someone seeking spiritual help to go to the predominant religion of the area.

Why do you think most Christians continue on in the brand of Christianity they were brought up in?If they are being led from some outside source,would not this source lead them all to the same thing,ie,all RCC, all Baptist,all Pentecostal,or all Eastern Orthodox?Why the mishmash,if they are being led by God?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,788,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Might I suggest that it's not faith you have, it's trust.
You can suggest it -- but the dictionary defines trust as "to have confidence or faith in."

If there's a difference in the meaning of the two words, I'm not clear on what it is.

Quote:
That trust is based on the evidence that all past religions were factually wrong and are now regarded as mythology.

That leads you to trust that all present Western organised religions will go the same way...based on the evidence that all past religions have now died out.

To have faith means that you have no evidence for what you believe but in fact there is masses of verifiable evidence for what you believe.
You don't seem to grasp what it is that I believe.

A simple explanation looks like this: Christianity states facts. (Say for example, that the world was created in 7 days.) A high school biology textbook also states facts. (Say, the world was created over 1 billion years. I'm not sure the actual number.) If the textbook's facts contradict those of Christianity, a choice must be made between the two sets of facts.

Since humans are not omniscient, whether you side with the textbook or the bible, some degree of faith is required.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
So, you're saying adults who choose to become Christians are mentally ill? Interesting...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
It is their choice.Nothing I said precluded that happening.I simply said MOST Christians follow what they were taught as kids.

In addition,if an adult feels the need to appeal to a higher power for help with his life,is it reasonable to expect a person living in Christian America to seek out the Hindu god?Christianity pervades all of American culture.It is perfectly normal for someone seeking spiritual help to go to the predominant religion of the area.

Why do you think most Christians continue on in the brand of Christianity they were brought up in?If they are being led from some outside source,would not this source lead them all to the same thing,ie,all RCC, all Baptist,all Pentecostal,or all Eastern Orthodox?Why the mishmash,if they are being led by God?
Styles of worship, traditions, etc. The disagreements in doctrine are minor. We all agree Jesus is our Savior.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,690,827 times
Quote:
Most of the time they are in a bad situation, alone or ill and are looking for something to cling to. A time of desperation. They are scared and the promise of some afterlife is tempting to those that need something. It is like they turn off the education, rational and objectivity for the promise of something after death.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Exactly.

Those thoroughly indoctrinated as children are pretty much doomed to a life believing in the fantasy steeped in absurdities. A major part of their indoctrination is to accept absurdities without question.

Arriving in adulthood without being so programmed, then to willfully swallow the impossible indicates there are other flaws with their reasoning and logic.
Maybe in certain denominations, but I've never experienced that. We study the Bible in depth, searching for the Truth. In my adult Bible study class, we actually debate doctrine. Of course, it doesn't get nasty like here on the R & P board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality