Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,114 times

Advertisements

Ok well how about God has nothing to do with dreams. I had a dream about having a rather intimate meeting with Hugh Jackman, why..? Well just watched his movie, was horny and hubby looks like him. people who need them to be something they are not, look at them and try to connect with some higher power, when it is just our brain working.

Science: The science of dreams - the results - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok well how about God has nothing to do with dreams. I had a dream about having a rather intimate meeting with Hugh Jackman, why..? Well just watched his movie, was horny and hubby looks like him. people who need them to be something they are not, look at them and try to connect with some higher power, when it is just our brain working.

LOL, you felt the need to provide a link on this topic. My goodness. If you just don't get what I am saying, just say "urban I don't get it". There is not a "link" on this planet that can take away what I have seen in my own existence. My view on reality doesn't come from books, links, church, or anything else from the establishment. It comes from my own experiences with my own conscious reality. Only those with shared experiences will understand exactly where I am coming from.

I'll give you two examples

I saw the birth of my son in a dream before my wife and I knew she was even pregnant. The child that was actually born had the same weight, sex, and look of the child I saw in that dream. I had that dream in September of 2002 and my son was born on May 20, 2003.

Recently, I had a dream about a retired co-worker of mine by the name of Herb. In that dream, Herd came back from retirement and was healthy and happy as ever. That dream was one of those dreams that just seemed "too real to be a dream". That dream happened early morning on a Friday. That following Sunday evening, I got a call from a co-worker of mine wondering did I hear about "what happened to Herb this past Friday morning". It turns out that Herb had died around the same day and time I had the dream. This was the first and only time I ever had a dream about a co-worker of mine (so its not like I have these dreams often).

These are just two examples of dreams that I have had that simply defied all logic (and YES, there are more than just these two). I will admit that most of my dreams are just dreams that make absolutely no sense. However, there is that 1% of them that kinda makes me stop and think. I decided to share these two in particular because these are the ones that stick out in my mind the most (and they are the main reason why I accept a non-physical explanation to some things). Again, NOTHING "super natural" going on here. Just a characteristic of nature that we don't fully understand yet.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
LOL, you felt the need to provide a link on this topic. My goodness. If you just don't get what I am saying, just say "urban I don't get it". There is not a "link" on this planet that can take away what I have seen in my own existence. My view on reality doesn't come from books, links, church, or anything else from the establishment. It comes from my own experiences with my own conscious reality. Only those with shared experiences will understand exactly where I am coming from.

I'll give you two examples

I saw the birth of my son in a dream before my wife and I knew she was even pregnant. The child that was actually born had the same weight, sex, and look of the child I saw in that dream. I had that dream in September of 2002 and my son was born on May 20, 2003.

Recently, I had a dream about a retired co-worker of mine by the name of Herb. In that dream, Herd came back from retirement and was healthy and happy as ever. That dream was one of those dreams that just seemed "to real to be a dream". That dream happened early morning on a Friday. That following Sunday evening, I got a call from a co-worker of mine wondering did I hear about "what happened to Herb this past Friday morning". It turns out that Herb had died around the same day and time I had the dream. This was the first and only time I ever had a dream about a co-worker of mine (so its not like I have these dreams often).

These are just two expamples of dreams that I have had that simply defied all logic (and YES, there are more than just these two). I will admit that most of my dreams are just dreams that make absolutely no sense. However, there is that 1% of them that kinda makes me stop and think. I decided to share these two in particular because these are the ones that stick out in my mind the most (and they are the main reason why I accept a non-physical explanation to some things). Again, NOTHING "super natural" going on here. Just a characteristic of nature that we don't fully understand yet.
Yes I get what you are saying, I just don't believe it.
And yes I provided a link, I happen to like science and the work it does.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yes I get what you are saying, I just don't believe it.
Exactly, you just don't "believe it". Proof that "belief" and not just the facts is a big part of the new religion called atheism. Thank you for your honesty.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Exactly, you just don't "believe it". Proof that "belief" and not just the facts is a big part of the new religion called atheism. Thank you for your honesty.
You don't have any facts, just your interpretations. In order to believe, proof is needed which there is non, so no belief.. There is none. Atheism is not a religion, sorry to burst your bubble but yes, atheism is about facts, thanks for agreeing.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You don't have any facts, just your interpretations. In order to believe, proof is needed which there is non, so no belief.. There is none. Atheism is not a religion, sorry to burst your bubble.
There is "proof". You just haven't experienced this "proof" in your conscious existence yet. That's all.

I don't know why this is, but there are those that can relate to me 100% and then there are those that are saying to themselves "urban is a weirdo". The difference between these two different views on what I say shows that we all are experiencing consciousness on different levels. FWIW, I do feel that my level of consciousness is broader than your's (not "better", just broader). But then again, I was just like you before my "weird" experiences so I totally understand.

Many folks with similar experiences to mine do become very theistic (ie, Campbell 34). However, I see theism as a lie and a delusion simply because it falls way short of explaning what I have seen (so does mainstream science).

In the end, this really is a pointless debate because there is nothing here to debate. We are just two individuals sharing with each other our own take on our own consciousness. No one is "right" and no one is "wrong". I am not Nea1 and Nea1 is not urbancharlotte. I am certain that your views would change if you were me and mine would change if I were you. Consciousness would become boring if we all experienced the same things (and had the same views).

Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
There is "proof". You just haven't experienced this "proof" in your conscious existence yet. That's all.

I don't know why this is, but there are those that can relate to me 100% and then there are those that are saying to themselves "urban is a weirdo". The difference between these two different views on what I say shows that we all are experiencing consciousness on different levels. FWIW, I do feel that my level of consciousness is broader than your's (not "better", just broader). But then again, I was just like you before my "weird" experiences so I totally understand.

Many folks with similar experiences to mine do become very theistic (ie, Campbell 34). However, I see theism as a lie and a delusion simply because it falls way short of explaning what I have seen (so does mainstream science).

In the end, this really is a pointless debate because there is nothing here to debate. We are just two individuals sharing with each other our own take on our own consciousness. No one is "right" and no one is "wrong". I am not Nea1 and Nea1 is not urbancharlotte. I am certain that your views would change if you were me and mine would change if I were you. Consciousness would become boring if we all experienced the same things (and had the same views).
Not proof, just the mind at work. Nothing more. Chemicals, electrical currents all the brain at work. People looking for more, I am sure will try to make connections. I personally think it is ok, to just be, and not have to find a rational or reason for everything. I had a dream my son would be in a car wreck, and he was two days later, why did I dream that, because I was worried about it subconsciously , I have seen him drive! I dreamed my daughter ( when I was pregnant and didn't know the sex) would be a girl with black hair, she was, why did I dream that, because that is what I wanted and I was born with black hair.

I love the My conscientiousness is broader stuff to, making connections and interpretations is not a broader conscientiousness, just a better imagination. I think very few people are weirdos, although on here there are a few, I mostly think they are just in need of something, or looking for something and that is ok.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times
Quote:
My view on reality doesn't come from books, links, church, or anything else from the establishment. It comes from my own experiences with my own conscious reality. Only those with shared experiences will understand exactly where I am coming from.
So when you said that you 'knew for a fact', that wasn't really true was it? 'Facts' are objective and verifiable but as we see above, all you actually have is your own subjective, unverifiable personal experiences....not facts at all!!

No Nobel prize for you I'm afraid.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,527 times
Quote:

so if your hubby looks like him and you were horny then why the need for the dream

Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Faith is defined in many ways. One of the major definitions of faith is:
  • strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
You have everything ass backward. It is believers that believe that for which no evidence exists.

Atheists believe that for which evidence exists, and nothing else. In fact, it isn't a "believe" but, rather, an acceptance of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality