Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM

564 posts, read 1,905,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. (Matthew 19.21)

I think all strict bible adherents should believe everything the bible says.

Go ahead....explain it away.
I've actually wondered about this myself. I still haven't seen a good response to it. Jesus doesn't say, "Keep your possessions and gather wealth, just make sure you value me more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 AM

668 posts, read 686,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I've actually wondered about this myself. I still haven't seen a good response to it. Jesus doesn't say, "Keep your possessions and gather wealth, just make sure you value me more."
Correct! But the power of rationalzation can be greater than faith.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,920,134 times
Quote:
Actually he does. The reason he asked this man to give up his money was because Jesus can see his heart. He knew that money was coming between him and God. Nothing should be of more value then God. The point here is that money can be a god to some if they allow it to be.

Having possessions and gathering wealth is not a problem, it's your attitude towards those possessions and wealth that can be a problem. No where does the bible condem having money, it's always the attidude towards it.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,905,905 times
Can someone quote me a bible verse (or a quote from any holy book) that says we should gather possessions and wealth?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,920,134 times
There isn't a verse that commands believers to gather possessions and wealth. But, having said that, one is not sinning to have wealth and possessions. The problem in the bible is always with the attitude that comes from having the wealth. People tend to forget God and run after their own pleasures instead of seeking God. At the same time not everyone who has money has this problem. Wealth is not the problem...it's our heart that is the problem...is it with money or God.

Deuteronomy 8:10-18

10 When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land which He has given you.
11 “Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today, 12 lest—when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them; 13 and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied; 14 when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage; 15 who led you through that great and terrible wilderness, in which were fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty land where there was no water; who brought water for you out of the flinty rock; 16 who fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do you good in the end— 17 then you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.’
18 “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

Matthew 6:21

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Can someone quote me a bible verse (or a quote from any holy book) that says we should gather possessions and wealth?

I can for the opposite: No one can serve God and Mammon

And: The chances of a rich man going to heaven are the same as a camel going through the eye of a needle.

The bibles wording is quite clear on the subject of money. Even Ghandi who was fairly rich when we practiced law in South Africa, found it too distracting and gave it all away. It takes perfect faith in God to do something like that.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,935,375 times
Quote:
I don't think there's one, but I also haven't found one that says "Take your kids to swimming lessons", "Don't be late for work", and "Pick up the dry cleaning". Still looking though...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM

23,039 posts, read 34,496,037 times
Should believers sell everything they own? No, we are responsible to care for our needs and the needs of our families. We should however be willing to give up anything if God asks us to do so. When Jesus told this man that he would be "perfect" if he gave up everything he had to the poor, He wasn't speaking in the temporal, human sense. He was explaining how to be justified and made whole in God's sight.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM

420 posts, read 2,203,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
actually it is very easy to explain.

What this means is;
what ever you prize or value here on earth... give it away to someone else now... because you can't take it with you. Your stuff will eventually be someone else stuff... so do it now or do it later... either way it's gonna happen. The test in this parable is to see where your heart is. Look around today and the level of materialism!

The reality is... Jesus said this because he knows how we hang on to possessions. If we know that our possessions will eventually belong to someone else why bother to keep gaining them and maybe lose your soul... but there is a promise given. Of course that take faith. Money was a biggie then and a biggie today. Some things never change.
Trebek, I'll be the second to say that this was well said. Very nice job.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:

another quote to the contrary: No man can serve two masters.

Wealth does greatly influence ones life. Once your wealthy it's very hard to ignore it, or live without it.

When I was young, all I needed was a van, apartment, and a part time job to get by. I spent my free time, meditating, reading, painting, enjoying life in general.

How I'm in my 40's with a mortgage (very modest house), income taxes, property taxes, got to keep the cars running, wardrobe expenses ect...
And I must have a job that makes so much a year to maintain this lifestyle.
No more meditating, painting, studying religion (except on the forums), life isn't as free as I once had it.

And I am not even rich compared to most Americans. But to the rest of the world? Who knows.

My possessions feel like a millstone around my neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality