Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is the moon made of green cheese, just because I believe it?
Truth has a subjective element and an objective element. The moon isn't made of cheese just because you believe it to be. That said, you and a friend could be looking at the moon. Your friend might see all light, and you might see all dark. Who has the truth--you or your friend? Is the moon light or dark? It's possible that it is both light and dark, but because you are viewing it from different angles, your friend sees it as all dark and you see it as all light. Sometimes there is more than one truth because you are both looking at the same truth from different angles. So in that sense, there is a subjective element to the truth, and when it comes to beliefs, perspective makes a difference. That doesn't mean that belief alone defines reality, but it does affect it. Even physicists are starting to realize that the physical properties of the Universe dictate that the observer has an effect on what is being observed. You can look up experiments like The Double-Slit Experiment that have caused even scientists to call into question just how absolute reality itself, and therefore the truth, is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I think it is pretty clear that the subject is beliefs about god.
So stop beating around the bush and playing word games.
What is the one truth about god?
I would really like to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And you're working really hard to draw me into an argument about whether or not Christinity is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No, I actually am not. I don't care if you see it as the truth.... I just wish you would be clear about what you believe...

I have no need to argue with you, because even if you believe it to be the only truth I don't.

I also am able to agree to disagree....

But you are playing with words and the idea of truth...

I already know what you believe which is why I am pushing you to just come out with it and be clear about what you believe and what you see as truth...
I would like that also, Jazzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality