Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,019,171 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on this.

As it is written in the Bible "If you are not for Me, you are against me".
Do you think there is a difference among non-believers, between them having NO belief versus them having or not having any belief but being totally AGAINST God...therefore blasphemy and rebelling against him intentionally?

There are the non-believers (Atheists) that just simply don't believe in any god, however, they are not "against" Him or say anything "bad" about Him. But then you have some that may believe and some that may not believe, that tend to completely HATE God and Christians and everything He stands for.

If you don't believe in Him, is that the same as rejecting Him as opposed to flat out hating God?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 PM

52 posts, read 147,485 times
"If you don't believe in Him, is that the same as rejecting Him as opposed to flat out hating God?"

If you don't believe in Him it may be because your not yet called by Him. Only God knows the inner thoughts of individuals and I'm sure He will use righteous judgement when the time comes.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,216,545 times
We don't know what the original word was. We have another example that He will read the heart and understand the reasoning.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,301,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
"If you are not for Me, you are against me".

If you don't believe in Him, is that the same as rejecting Him as opposed to flat out hating God?
No, of course not. (At least not in this nonbeliever's mind.)

I do believe that there was a person named Jesus. I do not, however, believe in him as "god." That does not mean, however, that I would flat-out "reject" everything he said, just as I would not "reject" or discredit what the Buddha said. There was an excellent book I read back in high school by (okay, I'm gunna mispell his name here and feel like an idiot!) Albert Schweitzer entitled: "The Historical Jesus and the Christ of Faith." --The author made clear distinctions. I certainly feel that people like myself can acknowledge the humanity of Jesus without accepting him as the son of god.

The difficulty I have with the biblical passage that you quoted above is the fact that it reduces one's thinking to "either/or" --While I certainly understand that for Christians who accept Jesus as god and savior it is, for them, a matter of "either/or," at the same time, for those of us who do not adhere to that belief, it tends to come across as far too black and white. I can't help but wonder whether or not, in it's meaning, it somehow becomes translated or enacted in real life as "you are either with us, or against us." --Which leaves someone like myself in a somewhat uncomfortable, perplexed position...Personally, I think there are many valuable things that Jesus taught and said, however, I fall short when it comes to believing that he was god. Or believing in god, period.

That does not mean, however, that I "hate" god...I don't have any personal relationship with him in order TO "hate" him. Just as I don't hate Buddha, Brahman, or any of the other gods that "exist."

--But that's just me.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,550,267 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on this.

As it is written in the Bible "If you are not for Me, you are against me".
Do you think there is a difference among non-believers, between them having NO belief versus them having or not having any belief but being totally AGAINST God...therefore blasphemy and rebelling against him intentionally?

There are the non-believers (Atheists) that just simply don't believe in any god, however, they are not "against" Him or say anything "bad" about Him. But then you have some that may believe and some that may not believe, that tend to completely HATE God and Christians and everything He stands for.

Any thoughts?
I think that before you can be FOR or AGAINST God, that you have to know about God first. I think this may be what Jesus meant. You can't blaspheme or rebel against Him unless you know Him. The athiests cannot hate God or be against God, because they don't know God. The only way to know God is to accept Him. It is the people who know God who are in big trouble if they say they are against Him or hate Him. IMO, in order to reject God, you have to know Him in order to reject Him..

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
No, of course not. (At least not in this nonbeliever's mind.)

I do believe that there was a person named Jesus. I do not, however, believe in him as "god." That does not mean, however, that I would flat-out "reject" everything he said, just as I would not "reject" or discredit what the Buddha said. There was an excellent book I read back in high school by (okay, I'm gunna mispell his name here and feel like an idiot!) Albert Schweitzer entitled: "The Historical Jesus and the Christ of Faith." --The author made clear distinctions. I certainly feel that people like myself can acknowledge the humanity of Jesus without accepting him as the son of god.

The difficulty I have with the biblical passage that you quoted above is the fact that it reduces one's thinking to "either/or" --While I certainly understand that for Christians who accept Jesus as god and savior it is, for them, a matter of "either/or," at the same time, for those of us who do not adhere to that belief, it tends to come across as far too black and white. I can't help but wonder whether or not, in it's meaning, it somehow becomes translated or enacted in real life as "you are either with us, or against us." --Which leaves someone like myself in a somewhat uncomfortable, perplexed position...Personally, I think there are many valuable things that Jesus taught and said, however, I fall short when it comes to believing that he was god. Or believing in god, period.

That does not mean, however, that I "hate" god...I don't have any personal relationship with him in order TO "hate" him. Just as I don't hate Buddha, Brahman, or any of the other gods that "exist."

--But that's just me.
Thanks for the response! This is pretty much what I am talking about. How can you hate someone/something you don't believe in?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,434,788 times
Luke 11:23 "Anyone who isn't helping me opposed Me, and anyone who isn't working with Me is actually working against Me".
This was Jesus talking. There is a conflict between God and satan, in this battle if a person is not on God's side they are on satan's side. There is no neutral ground.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think that before you can be FOR or AGAINST God, that you have to know about God first. I think this may be what Jesus meant. You can't blaspheme or rebel against Him unless you know Him. The athiests cannot hate God or be against God, because they don't know God. The only way to know God is to accept Him. It is the people who know God who are in big trouble if they say they are against Him or hate Him. IMO, in order to reject God, you have to know Him in order to reject Him..
These are my thoughts as well Blue. But have you noticed that there are SOME out there, that call themselves "atheists" however, they seem to actually HATE God? Not that they don't believe in Him...but just outright hate Him?
There are the other atheists that seem to just try to debunk the belief in their being a God, because they do not believe. But they don't say mean and hateful things ABOUT God...
I see some of the posts and I find confusion and/or hypocrisies in the fact of
How can one so adamately despise and be so vengeful to a God they don't believe exists?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Luke 11:23 "Anyone who isn't helping me opposed Me, and anyone who isn't working with Me is actually working against Me".
This was Jesus talking. There is a conflict between God and satan, in this battle if a person is not on God's side they are on satan's side. There is no neutral ground.
I used to think this. But I am not so sure anymore . Only because, doesn't it seem more apprehensible and a worse sin to despise and blaspheme God, than it would be to not have enough proof to believe in Him?
Of course, there are the ones that try to sway believers into NOT believing, and I think that anyone that succeeds in turning someone away from Christ will probably pay pretty heavily...but for a typical non-believer that just doesn't have enough proof...I just have to wonder1

Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,434,788 times
Quote:
I used to think this. But I am not so sure anymore . Only because, doesn't it seem more apprehensible and a worse sin to despise and blaspheme God, than it would be to not have enough proof to believe in Him?
Of course, there are the ones that try to sway believers into NOT believing, and I think that anyone that succeeds in turning someone away from Christ will probably pay pretty heavily...but for a typical non-believer that just doesn't have enough proof...I just have to wonder1
But the God provides all the proof anyone needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality