Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,249,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have no idea of bugs in the afterlife.
But, if you think of it, no physical body means food will not be essential,
which means there is no reason to kill,
which means, if there are bugs they would not be pesky.

Maybe we would teach them to sing.
Even mosquitoes have their purpose. Ask any Bat or Purple Martin about it. A large percentage of their diet relies on mosquitoes. Just because they are annoying to us does not mean that they do not hold a very important position in the grand ecological scheme of things.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,038,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Even mosquitoes have their purpose. Ask any Bat or Purple Martin about it. A large percentage of their diet relies on mosquitoes. Just because they are annoying to us does not mean that they do not hold a very important position in the grand ecological scheme of things.

20yrsinBranson
You are right, and it's not up to us to give them a place in the afterlife or not. For all we know they are discussing great philosophical issues with each other psychically which the human mind could never hope to understand.

If those birds continue after death, I think they could not imagine their heaven without mosquitoes.

I agree with a prior poster, though, that we will not always be human and perhaps we were not so earlier. Perhaps the instinct that so many of us have for cats and dogs have something to do with a deeply buried remembrance of our own earlier incarnations, who knows?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,249,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You are right, and it's not up to us to give them a place in the afterlife or not. For all we know they are discussing great philosophical issues with each other psychically which the human mind could never hope to understand.

If those birds continue after death, I think they could not imagine their heaven without mosquitoes.

I agree with a prior poster, though, that we will not always be human and perhaps we were not so earlier. Perhaps the instinct that so many of us have for cats and dogs have something to do with a deeply buried remembrance of our own earlier incarnations, who knows?
Yes, and perhaps the devotion that they feel for us has to do with the instictive knowledge of where their own future lies. Who can say or know for certain?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,021 times
Default Defs

I guess this is very much wrapped up in how one defines the Body/Soul/Spirit in combo and individual parts. There is a very specific correct answer for all this though we may not be meant to know it ( perhaps ever or perhaps yet ).

It's hard to say how we might be changed when we are allowed into heaven. Is it possible that the joy of being in the presence of the Lord covers over any loss we might feel over our pets? Or, perhaps our pets are in heaven, but not for anything they did or didn't do. Perhaps they will be there because it would make us happy. In taking the scriptures as a whole (best I'm able to anyway) I see no reason why either of these options couldn't be true.

Personaly I think that God created my Jack-rat, Sarah, my Corgie, Katie, my passed Springer, Molly and my passed Mut, Betsy. (I still tear up as I type her name). If need be he can make them again anytme He wishes. He also made me and He can remake me anytime he wishes and take away any tears. I'll leave that decision (or whatever 3rd choice He may have in mind) up to Him.

Either way, the answer is to trust in the sacrifice of the Lord God Jesus Christ to save us from our sins, which is the only way anyone or anything will have everlasting life rather than everlasting anguish. He loves us and He knows how to make Heaven better than anything we can ever imagine. If we ask him to save us, he will make it perfect for us and also make us perfect for it.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM

133 posts, read 291,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Ok, I've heard this before that animals do not have souls (according to Christianity anyway). But why is this?

Does sentience have anything to do with it?

Sometimes it feels like a dog really is man's best friend when they come lick your face after you've had a rough day. They do seem to react to moods and also it seems like they have the ability to "sense" bad people. Or am I reading too much into it?
We don;t have souls either!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM

348 posts, read 559,337 times
Default Does an Animal have Spirit?

Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knows the spirit of the sons of men, which goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,043,298 times
Is that an insinuation that animals go to Hell? Rubbish!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,376,274 times
Humans are no more than an animal. We are a higher form of primate which evolved over the roughly 4,000,000 years from a primitive hominid to around 400,000 years ago when Homo sapiens first arrived on the evolutionary path. If you see man with a soul, than the animals you evolved from would also have some form of a soul.
What a soul would be is another question. Regardless of if we have one or not I sure don’t connect it to a religion or a god.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 PM

348 posts, read 559,337 times
Default Hades or Sheol =grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Is that an insinuation that animals go to Hell? Rubbish!
The earth is the grave. They return to dust.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,462,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yes I would have to say that I would argue that animals do have souls and they also guide us on our earthly walk. If you've ever really looked into the eyes of an animal you would not have to question this.
I have a cat that is almost 12 years old. He has always been right by my side and when I look into his eyes I can see he has a personality and a little soul. I know if he had the capability he would talk to me because he talks to me through his eyes. The Bible says the lion will lay down with the lamb so there will be animals in God's kingdom and I know my cat will be there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality