Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,664,863 times

Advertisements

many beautiful posts on this thread. fidelity what a quality.
i love animals. the loss of a pet is devastating for some of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,025,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Humans are no more than an animal. We are a higher form of primate which evolved over the roughly 4,000,000 years from a primitive hominid to around 400,000 years ago when Homo sapiens first arrived on the evolutionary path. If you see man with a soul, than the animals you evolved from would also have some form of a soul.
What a soul would be is another question. Regardless of if we have one or not I sure don’t connect it to a religion or a god.
I agree.
I do believe that there is a 'spiritual' side to life. I think there are things we do not understand yet, but if we and the planet last long enough, we will someday.

I believe that the concept of heaven came from some shift in consciousness that revealed to some, other dimensions or parallel universes.

We are just skimming the surface of this now, but just as we can look at what innovations tore us away from short lives tied to the agrarian society, I think we can also expect a great revolution of awareness, consciousness, soul, in the future.

I will probably not be here when that happens, but such a breakthrough will eventually support some of what our religions have been trying to tell us for centuries, pleasing many. It will also toss aside the myths and dogmas, which will make others very upset.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM

181 posts, read 306,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Very true.

If memory serves me correctly, the word translated "soul" there is the exact same word as "breath" in Hebrew. But verify that before you believe it. It's been a while since I studied that.
You're right, the word is Nephesh. So, in the original Hebrew, it leads one to believe that animals have a soul too.

I'll be honest that I am a meat eater. However, I can't kill an animal (whether a chicken, dog, cow, you name the animal) that I have established a bond with.

But most Christians believe that animals have no soul and have no conscience killing and consuming them. (Another reason why I hate Christianity....a hypnotized cult who lives by contradictory principles).

I agree that species (plant, animal, human) have to kill a life (plant, animal, human) to preserve a life. That's how we live. Animals are not less of a species than man. Think of it like comparing a motorcycle to a car (one may seem more appealing but they are both vehicles and function similarly). Go against a tiger and tell me if he is less of a being than you.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,238,555 times
I didn't read all of the posts but I will say this:

If an animal didn't have a soul (and humans are animals, fyi) then how can they experience feelings?

Think about it.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM

253 posts, read 559,483 times
Animals have a soul, I do however doubt the existence of a soul in some humans

Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,025,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Animals have a soul, I do however doubt the existence of a soul in some humans
I believe in the soul of animals. What are we, but a higher form of animal? It's all a part of nature.

I am wondering, though, what happens/happened to the soul in some forms of madness? Can a being actually be missing a soul?

Probably not. It's probably the soul that animates the body.

Do all souls pre exist and continue after death?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM

181 posts, read 306,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I believe in the soul of animals. What are we, but a higher form of animal? It's all a part of nature.

Do all souls pre exist and continue after death?
One theory that I have heard of that makes some sense is reincarnation. We were once a spirit waiting to inhabit a body and then that is how we enter the world as humans and when we die we go back out into the spiritual realm to wait again to re-inhabit another body. The motto goes, The spirit never ceases to exist but rather it continues to live and will always live.

I think it explains deja vu a bit more clearly. We have certain memories which lead us to believe that we have been here on this Earth before.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,020,985 times
For me, I draw a difference between "soul" and "spirit", spirit is what all things are, the soul is how we manifest that spirit and all thing mainfest a soul in the degree it is able to do so. When something dies the soul dies also but the spirit continues, the spirit has always been and will always continue.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,842,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Ok, I've heard this before that animals do not have souls (according to Christianity anyway). But why is this?

Does sentience have anything to do with it?

Sometimes it feels like a dog really is man's best friend when they come lick your face after you've had a rough day. They do seem to react to moods and also it seems like they have the ability to "sense" bad people. Or am I reading too much into it?

The animal has a spirit, which is a true identical aethereal image of that animal.
The plant has a spirit, which is an aethereal image similar to that particular plant.

The "soul" is the aethereal spirit of man.

When the baby reaches 40 days of age, and he starts to see and hear and feel the pain and pleasure --> he then is said to have a "soul".

The "soul" is called by some people as the "ghost".

The soul
The spirit

Therefore, you cannot say that the animal has a soul, but the animal has a spirit.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,842,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
For me, I draw a difference between "soul" and "spirit", spirit is what all things are, the soul is how we manifest that spirit and all thing mainfest a soul in the degree it is able to do so. When something dies the soul dies also but the spirit continues, the spirit has always been and will always continue.
The spirit is a general term: the plant has a spirit (but it is not called a soul).

The animal also has a spirit (but it is not called a soul).

The soul is only that of human being that is seeing, hearing and feeling the pain and pleasure. It is called the "ghost" by some people.

Gabriel in the Quran is called the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost.

The spirit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality