Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,284,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
You don't have to swear or affirm on the bible to be president.

Theodore Roosevelt did not swear in on the bible.
John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law.

"It is uncertain how many Presidents used a Bible or added the words "So help me God" at the end of the oath, or in their acceptance of the oath, as neither is required by law;" Oath of office of the President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha! We posted at the same time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,719,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
So, if "Our Country" was not founded on the principles of the Christianism as you stated, then, why each president of the Uniojn when being invested has to pledge by putting his right hand on the Bible?
Shows how little you know. The president is not required to say 'so help me god', nor is he required to place his hand on the bible.

The Presidential oath of office is described in Article II, section 1 of the Constitution:
  • Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Quote:
It is evident to me that United Stated of America is a Nation founded on the principles of the Christianism even when anybody else of course would be welcomed to join this Nation no matter their religion.
Gosh, you'd be wrong then. Again.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,799,936 times
Happy Chanukah

oh wait wrong thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,541,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Shows how little you know. The president is not required to say 'so help me god', nor is he required to place his hand on the bible.

The Presidential oath of office is described in Article II, section 1 of the Constitution:
  • Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Gosh, you'd be wrong then. Again.
I agree with Mercury Cougar.

So would you, in fact, should you ever actually bother to engage in a little historical/legal research. The United States of America is, and has always been, a Constitutional Federal Republic, which means that it is a government of laws rather than men. Whether one likes it or not, the fact that its populace is predominantly Judeo-Christian is completely insignificant.

In the United States, the rule of LAW takes precedence over the whims of men. The law in question is the Constitution of the United States of America which, in its First Amendment, clearly states that the government shall not, and indeed cannot, prefer one religion over another, nor can it prevent or limit the practice of any religion.

Don't like it? Then all ya gotta do is repeal the First Amendment and put something in its place...

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,170,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattclyde View Post
happy chanukah :d

oh wait wrong thread
lol!!!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,541,288 times
Here's wishing the Season's Very Best to all here, and to all of those that each of you holds dear.

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,703,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
So, if "Our Country" was not founded on the principles of the Christianism as you stated, then, why each president of the Uniojn when being invested has to pledge by putting his right hand on the Bible?
It is evident to me that United Stated of America is a Nation founded on the principles of the Christianism even when anybody else of course would be welcomed to join this Nation no matter their religion.
Here, let me educate you a little bit, you show me anywhere in any of these two documents where Christianity or any religion shows up in them. Now make sure you read them very carefully because I wouldn't want you to be ignorant of the facts.

U.S. CONSTITUTION,

Bill of Rights and Later Amendments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality