Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,725,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Whoah, what companies are those? The only places I know of that have that luxury are schools.
I work in supply chain management and most of my vendors are either gone or VERY VERY lightly staffed the week between Christmas and New Years. That's when I do all my end of year inventory and whatnot because it's nearly impossible to get a hold of anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 02:07 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,838,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Whoah, what companies are those? The only places I know of that have that luxury are schools.
I worked here in the past, so I don't give an EFF about them, for I am not going back to this rat hole

TIAA CREF. A major financial services player. Cites the bad economy and sends people on forced vacation all around the Christmas season. There was even a newsletter running around back in the day about how much that initiative saved for the organization

And these guys manage your retirement money. Pity

Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,664,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Merry Christmas to those who practice Christianism! It sure sounds like the OP does!

Christianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And since our country was founded on the principle of freedom of religion - Happy Holidays to everyone else!
So, if "Our Country" was not founded on the principles of the Christianism as you stated, then, why each president of the Uniojn when being invested has to pledge by putting his right hand on the Bible?
It is evident to me that United Stated of America is a Nation founded on the principles of the Christianism even when anybody else of course would be welcomed to join this Nation no matter their religion.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,838,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
So, if "Our Country" was not founded on the principles of the Christianism as you stated, then, why each president of the Uniojn when being invested has to pledge by putting his right hand on the Bible?
It is evident to me that United Stated of America is a Nation founded on the principles of the Christianism even when anybody else of course would be welcomed to join this Nation no matter their religion.
Good question

Yeah, that's not gonna change any time soon. So I guess the gang will have to continue their moaning and breast beating for a good lifetime, I guess

Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,118,112 times
Don't say Merry Christmas, say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Say it really emphatically

Let'em know you won't stand to be oppressed any longer.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,877,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I work in supply chain management and most of my vendors are either gone or VERY VERY lightly staffed the week between Christmas and New Years. That's when I do all my end of year inventory and whatnot because it's nearly impossible to get a hold of anyone.
In my corporate career in consulting, the only days off was on Christmas and New years. When I roughnecked or I was the geologist at the drilling rig, the only way we got off for Christmas was if the drilling hands let the rig freeze, otherwise you worked straight through.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,877,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Don't say Merry Christmas, say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Say it really emphatically

Let'em know you won't stand to be oppressed any longer.
No need to yell, we're right here.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,725,630 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not a necessity, but could imagine the uproar if the President didn't do it?

It's pandering to the ultra religious and nothing more. I can guarantee we've had a few Atheist/Agnostic Presidents that pretended to be religious, otherwise they never would have been elected.

It's a sad state that someone can't be elected to public office in the US without professing a Christian belief.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,124,627 times
Quote:
You don't have to swear or affirm on the bible to be president.

Theodore Roosevelt did not swear in on the bible.
John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law.

"It is uncertain how many Presidents used a Bible or added the words "So help me God" at the end of the oath, or in their acceptance of the oath, as neither is required by law;" Oath of office of the President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,284,217 times
Quote:
Did you click on the link in my post? It defines the term you used, "Christianism." I do not think it means what you think it means. That was the point of my post.

As for the bible being used when the President gets sworn it - it is not mandatory. Theodore Roosevelt did not use a bible.

Most of the founding fathers were deists. And we have freedom of religion and separation of church and state. These were some of the principles that our nation was founded on.

I have no problem with someone wishing me a Merry Christmas. I do have a problem with someone saying - we are a Christian nation, I'm going to say Merry Christmas to you and you'd better like it or else you're not an American. That seems a little bit odd and kind of scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality