Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,235,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
LMAO thank you. You just managed to offend some of our resident chauvinists

Only a serious diarrhoea related bowel disorder offends them slightly more.

Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas back at you.

Here's to the founding fathers of America. Many of them obviously went to church. LMAO again
Well, perhaps this would have been better in the Christianity forum - don't you think? I mean - I'm not going to start a "Happy Hanukkah" thread or a "Happy Ramadan" thread on the Christian forum - and make it seem like Judaism or Islam should dominate this country. It's just called being respecful and courteous - isn't it? What's wrong with being respectful? And personally, I don't get great satisfaction out of offending people. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM

64,025 posts, read 40,336,559 times
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! SEASON'S GREETINGS!! HAPPY DAYS OFF WORK!!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, perhaps this would have been better in the Christianity forum - don't you think? I mean - I'm not going to start a "Happy Hanukkah" thread or a "Happy Ramadan" thread on the Christian forum - and make it seem like Judaism or Islam should dominate this country. It's just called being respecful and courteous - isn't it? What's wrong with being respectful? And personally, I don't get great satisfaction out of offending people. But that's just me.
Respect it is. Enjoy the vacation

Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,235,776 times
Quote:
Thank you!!! You, too!
And actually, I do celebrate Christmas! And Hanukkah, as well! And for the record - I see nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to someone when you know they celebrate Christmas - I just think Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings is better to use when you don't know what holidays someone celebrates! It's just more all inclusive!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,104,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
yes.....Merry Christmas to all of you, because this blessed Nation was founded in the principles of the christianism besides and beyond all the freedom of religions and beliefs.
This is a country where everybody of all should express merry christmas to each other proudly.

Merry christmas to all United States of America !
Why the heck did you take something that could have been so nice and sincere and universal -- and passive-aggressively put a jab in there about how Christian our roots are (which they aren't, BTW)?

WHY would anyone do something like that? You're insincere and a phony. Some Xian you are, hon. Sorry, but it needed to be said. Take a look in the mirror before pointing your finger at anyone else.

19,112 posts, read 30,689,717 times
Quote:
No vacation for this Atheist, Christmas falls on a Saturday this year so we don't get a day off for it.

But for those whose workplaces offer floating holidays, happy vacation to you!!

13,138 posts, read 22,874,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Chauvinists?
Add that to the list of derrogatory slander words that equals the word "Atheist"... or even "not Christian", I guess.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Thank you!!! You, too!
And actually, I do celebrate Christmas! And Hanukkah, as well! And for the record - I see nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to someone when you know they celebrate Christmas - I just think Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings is better to use when you don't know what holidays someone celebrates! It's just more all inclusive!
I don't attach too much importance to Christmas. That's the truth. I just go to mass and participate in the Eucharist.

My father died in 06 and in Indian culture, there is a 10 year mourning phase, which basically holds the family off celebrations. The last Christmas I celebrated was in 2005, with my Dad sitting at the head of the table. Since 2006, I have gotten used to spending the day like a normal day and I like it a lot, rather then all the pressure of handing out sweets, buying clothes and other unnecessary phone calls with distant relatives.

I've also been becoming a traditionalist catholic towards abstaining from celebrations in totality. My focus is simply on doing Sunday mass and that is enough.

Otherwise, I don't care about people waging war on Christmas, or the founding fathers or the decline of Christianity in America. I have much better things to worry about, like the planning of my impending marriage, and my mother's health, and the business that me and my brother are planning to start

I just found it annoying that here's a new, innocent, harmless person who came to the board to open a thread to wish other people a good Christmas. And our resident killjoys find that ant biting urge inside their pants to make a fuss about an innocuous mistake about the founding fathers. It just looks like "Eeeeeeeeww"

It's all a question of being socially handicapped. One can offer opinions when interviewed on CBS or Time magazine. But do you wanna lecture a Merry Christmas greeter passing by in the railway station staircase??? Really??? How grumpy with your life are you

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,104,706 times
Quote:
Picture this:

A whole world celebrates something festive. There's fanfare and the mood is nothing short of frolic.

Then comes this individual who feels the telling urge to stamp his feet and make his opinion known that he does not celebrate for he does not believe for he does blah blah blah blah blah.

And the rest of the world is like "ok..." and the fanfare goes on becoz nobody cares.
It has NOTHING to do with this. Use your head, AC. It's obviously the political (and incorrect, at that) jab shoved in there. A snotty jabbing comment like this is so Christianism it isn't even funny.

If she had just said Merry Christmas, I'd definitely have said it back. I say Merry Christmas to everybody. I am definitely not a Christian but I know it's a holiday that exists. Receiving an incorrect skinhead-esque mini-sermon in the middle just kinda takes some of the fun and some of the ho-ho-ho out of it for some of us; what can I say?

Also, psst: Just so's ya know...we were giggling at your using the word "chauvinists", which in no way could have possibly fit the sentence you used. That was why that comment was quoted. I'm sure you must have meant "atheists" or "agnostics"...right? Anyway, you don't seem to realize that yet so I figured I'd point it out.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,705,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

If she had just said Merry Christmas, I'd definitely have said it back. I say Merry Christmas to everybody. I am definitely not a Christian but I know it's a holiday that exists. Receiving an incorrect skinhead-esque mini-sermon in the middle just kinda takes some of the fun and some of the ho-ho-ho out of it for some of us; what can I say?
You nailed it. It's not the saying of the phrase that is the issue, I say it all the time to people who enjoy it. It's the fact that she slathered the whole thing in mindless religiocentric dogma which deliberately excludes a significant percentage of the American citizenry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality