Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
A primary reason couples are in counseling is because of male on female domestic violence.
And female on male domestic violence. FYI women commit 50% these days where it's bidirectional. 70% when it's unidirectional. 1/3 of those injured from DV are men. They're not getting these injuries from the tooth fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.

There are plenty of male marriage counselors, psychologists, etc.

Maybe the problem is that many men don't believe in marriage counseling, and only agree to go to either shut their wife up or at the minimum be able to say "they tried"?

Maybe these same guys tell their wife to just go find someone and set it up, instead of being actively involved in finding someone they can both be comfortable with?
Someone hasn't been paying attention to the demographics. Women make up well over 60% of the medical/therapeutic fields now. 70% of degrees in those fields are to women now and women make up the lion's share of those we're discussing. There are a lot of male counselors, but they're dwindling in numbers slowly but surely. As for the rest, well, that's speculative at best. Quite frankly your white knighting serves zero good and comes off like you're trying to defend women's honor or something. You do realize that 70% of women file for divorce in this day and age. The vast majority of which are no-fault divorces. That means the men didn't do anything to warrant a divorce under the law, otherwise they're "fault" divorces. I know this goes counter to what most people have been spoon fed by the media, but have you ever thought that perhaps men aren't the monsters they're made to look like? Hmm??? Just maybe???

People need to start thinking for themselves, particularly men--who stand to lose by perpetuating the status quo of misandry by the family court system.

Last edited by Nutz76; 02-01-2010 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
And female on male domestic violence. FYI women commit 50% these days where it's bidirectional. 70% when it's unidirectional. 1/3 of those injured from DV are men. They're not getting these injuries from the tooth fairy.

Someone hasn't been paying attention to the demographics. Women make up well over 60% of the medical/therapeutic fields now. 70% of degrees in those fields are to women now and women make up the lion's share of those we're discussing. There are a lot of male counselors, but they're dwindling in numbers slowly but surely. As for the rest, well, that's speculative at best. Quite frankly your white knighting serves zero good and comes off like you're trying to defend women's honor or something. You do realize that 70% of women file for divorce in this day and age. The vast majority of which are no-fault divorces. That means the men didn't do anything to warrant a divorce under the law, otherwise they're "fault" divorces. I know this goes counter to what most people have been spoon fed by the media, but have you ever thought that perhaps men aren't the monsters they're made to look like? Hmm??? Just maybe???

People need to start thinking for themselves, particularly men--who stand to lose by perpetuating the status quo of misandry by the family court system.
"No Fault" does NOT mean that they didn't do anything to warrant a divorce. It means that whatever they did (or didn't do) doesn't have to be proven in a court of law in order to grant the divorce. In a "no fault" state there is not "fault" option. Sheesh!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
I've been curious. Would you go to a marriage counselor who has NEVER been married or to one who has/is?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"No Fault" does NOT mean that they didn't do anything to warrant a divorce. It means that whatever they did (or didn't do) doesn't have to be proven in a court of law in order to grant the divorce. In a "no fault" state there is not "fault" option. Sheesh!
Perhaps in some states that's true. The ones I can think of give both options. If there's a "fault" then you can basically get divorced immediately (more or less). If there's "no fault" then you have to be separated for a period of time (typically 6 months or a year) before getting divorced.

Fault is for when a spouse commits abandonment, cheating, abuse, felonies, etc.

No fault is for falling out of love or going after the bigger better deal.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I have not personally been to any kind of counseling but personally speaking, if you can't work out your own problems, I don't see how someone else is going to walk you through it. I think you'd serve yourself and your marriage better by talking things out like adults and going from there. I never got people who go to counseling.
I had to laugh, I was flipping through the channels and found that Wives of Orange County. What a JOKE! The one couple had a woman come talk to their daughter and basically this womans role was to talk to her like a parent would but she's not a counselor, she's more or less speaking on behalf of the parents in a language a teenager would understand -- WTF??? LOL Seriously? LOL

Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 AM

31 posts, read 363,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.

There are plenty of male marriage counselors, psychologists, etc.

Maybe the problem is that many men don't believe in marriage counseling, and only agree to go to either shut their wife up or at the minimum be able to say "they tried"?

Maybe these same guys tell their wife to just go find someone and set it up, instead of being actively involved in finding someone they can both be comfortable with?
There are many different reasons people go to marriage counseling.
You only get from counseling what you put into it.
I've been in counseling most of my life having suffered a tragic upbringing.
Into our marriage we take baggage from the whole of our lives.
Every relationship starts with ourselves and how we view our partner as well as what we want from them
If we are looking for our partner to make us whole than we're in for a let down.
We all have to be whole before we can give anything to our partner.
Currently my wife and I are in counseling and my goal is to understand "love" and what it means to our relationship.
I am not there to leave my wife but to understand our relationship and how to make it better.
She is there for the same reason

Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Most couples counseling turns into some form of man bashing. Remember...most psychologists, psychiatrists, and sociologists are women, many of which are feminists. You do the math.
The math also works out that the guy is the main source of the problem.

I don't buy either of our math equations.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I've been curious. Would you go to a marriage counselor who has NEVER been married or to one who has/is?
I've never had appendicitis or an acute MI, but I know how to diagnose and treat it.

I'd give 'em a chance if they had a good rep.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmr11 View Post
There are many different reasons people go to marriage counseling.
You only get from counseling what you put into it.
I've been in counseling most of my life having suffered a tragic upbringing.
Into our marriage we take baggage from the whole of our lives.
Every relationship starts with ourselves and how we view our partner as well as what we want from them
If we are looking for our partner to make us whole than we're in for a let down.
We all have to be whole before we can give anything to our partner.
Currently my wife and I are in counseling and my goal is to understand "love" and what it means to our relationship.
I am not there to leave my wife but to understand our relationship and how to make it better.
She is there for the same reason

...or so she told you.

I don't know a single woman that would go to counseling to help themselves.

You bet they will be there to hear them try to fix you though.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 AM

31 posts, read 363,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
...or so she told you.

I don't know a single woman that would go to counseling to help themselves.

You bet they will be there to hear them try to fix you though.
I've been with my wife 20 years.
I know when she's full of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships