Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,035,668 times

Advertisements

"Best friend" is really just a silly term that should be left in middle and high school.

I don't consider people my "best friend" or not. There are the people that I deeply care about and trust enough to show them the completely raw side of me. Then there are people that I do not have that level of trust with. I have "close friends" and "friendly friends."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,410,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
So how is some people have many friends (not acquaintances nor just friends but best friends you can rely upon)?
That must be cool sometimes... your close friends being there if there is something bothering you. I guess that's what friends are for.

I can't stand overly popular people. They always have it so easy.
While I would not call myself an overly popular person (I had a heck of a time in primary school) I would say I have a lot of friends I can rely on and they can rely on me. In my case if I know you and you are in a bind and need some help I am happy to be there and as a result a lot of people are there for me. It is amazing how far a little kindness can go in friendships.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 PM

645 posts, read 1,453,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
When you are young, in highschool or even younger than that, popularity is seldom based on how good of a true "friend" you are. However, as you age and grow in your life, the quality, and not necessarily the number of friends you have, will depend on the quality of friend YOU are. You can be outgoing and friendly, and that will surely earn you many acquaintances. But acquaintances and friends are two totally different relationships. Acquaintances don't really care about you more than a buddy to talk to or hang out with, when it's convenient and fun- a friend does. And that is the person you call when you need to really vent, or want a shoulder to cry on, or the person that will be there to pick you up in the middle of the night when you have a flat tire- an hour out of town.

Be to others the kind of friend you would want to have, and you'll have all you need.
Sooo true!!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,175,056 times
if you want to be outgoing and meet more ppl then talk to everyone you come across. its real simple.

like if im at a bar i will talk to girls, guys, older people, etc. a lot of times i will have a conversation with an attractive girl and not even ask for a number. just gotta talk to lots of different people with no real goal in mind. some people these people will eventually become friends and maybe real good friends

Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,393,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
"Best friend" is really just a silly term that should be left in middle and high school.

I don't consider people my "best friend" or not. There are the people that I deeply care about and trust enough to show them the completely raw side of me. Then there are people that I do not have that level of trust with. I have "close friends" and "friendly friends."
I disagree.

Favouritism is part of life. If I trust one particular friend more than others, or have developed a closer bond with that person to a higher degree, then by definition they are a best friend.

A best friend, as you even allude to, can be multiple in number. I would define a best friend as to whom I am closer to, whether that is one or a number of persons.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,035,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I disagree.

Favouritism is part of life. If I trust one particular friend more than others, or have developed a closer bond with that person to a higher degree, then by definition they are a best friend.

A best friend, as you even allude to, can be multiple in number. I would define a best friend as to whom I am closer to, whether that is one or a number of persons.

Maybe you have "best friends", but I do not. As I have already stated, there are the people I trust and the people I don't, but still like. I'm closer to certain friends in different aspects. I may love to spend time and laugh with Friend A, but would rather have a deep conversation with Friend B, regardless of the fact that I trust them both. Different friends bring different things to the table. Besides, I would never suffocate myself with just one person because that is a recipe for long term disaster. Like I mentioned, I have a small circle of close friends and a large circle of friendly acquaintances.

I just find the term so silly. That's what I used to call my friends in middle school when we wore way too much lipgloss and giggled all too frequently. My friendships are so much deeper now.

You say potato, I say po-ta-toe (yes the spelling is off, don't chide me on it - I'm making a point). Same thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 PM

17,646 posts, read 22,691,230 times
Quote:
Maybe you have "best friends", but I do not. As I have already stated, there are the people I trust and the people I don't, but still like. I'm closer to certain friends in different aspects. I may love to spend time and laugh with Friend A, but would rather have a deep conversation with Friend B, regardless of the fact that I trust them both. Different friends bring different things to the table. Besides, I would never suffocate myself with just one person because that is a recipe for long term disaster. Like I mentioned, I have a small circle of close friends and a large circle of friendly acquaintances.

I just find the term so silly. That's what I used to call my friends in middle school when we wore way too much lipgloss and giggled all too frequently. My friendships are so much deeper now.

You say potato, I say po-ta-toe (yes the spelling is off, don't chide me on it - I'm making a point). Same thing.

Mango juice is one of my favorite thirst quencher...

Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,393,138 times
Quote:

I don't disagree with you.

All I am saying is that in all friendship groups there are some with whom one shares a closer bond, even if you love all of them as friends. In essence, this is a best friend, since one is closer with them.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,067,050 times
It comes naturally for me as well. I came out the womb chatting up the doctor

Seriously I think you need to work on your self esteem. If you want to attract good people into your life you have to have a positive perception about yourself.

IF you think negatively about yourself--like that woe is me mentality--boo hoo--I don't have a best friend mentality then guess what???? You will have more of that enter in....

I believe some are naturally gregarious or talkative and bubbly and some require a little more effort. I don't know you but I can say something positive about you--You can type

...So you can run with that. Maybe you can meet some people on here and develop a bond--Just trying to help

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
...So you can run with that. Maybe you can meet some people on here and develop a bond--Just trying to help
Yes maybe I should talk more to people. I'm guessing it will lead to the same results, few friends but at least that's better than zero.

I don't think it's self-esteem because I feel great about myself in general but maybe some people were meant to have more friends than others....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships