Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,175,348 times

Advertisements

oooooooooo I might have given my oldest daughter a back handed compliment and not realized it. She was a solid B student in HS but capable of A's. She went onto college and did B work again (but capable of A's). Now she is in her last semester of grad school and has a 4.0. I recently told her when she showed me her grade GPA that I was "pleasantly" surprised. I should have just said I was proud of her and I will when I talk to her next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,273,717 times
I really think backhanded compliments are more hurtful than "brutally honest" or plain old put downs. Reading everyone's comments really reinforced that for me.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
^^^^^^Meanwhile she's spent the first 18 years of your life training you to accept backhanded comments!
Yessss, I could tell you stories. Words can harm as much as hands. But I've had therapy, and she's an old woman now whose six living children visit her more out of duty than of love. And we taught our own children not to take the mean things grandma says to heart.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,888,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yessss, I could tell you stories. Words can harm as much as hands. But I've had therapy, and she's an old woman now whose six living children visit her more out of duty than of love. And we taught our own children not to take the mean things grandma says to heart.
My SO's dad is like that, he has a couple of martini's and then will sometimes say some mean shyt to her. So, she still visits him, out of guilt I suppose. He's in his mid 80's, I'm just biding my time,if you know what I mean.

There's been a couple of times that I'd like to have knocked the shyt out of the old man.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My SO's dad is like that, he has a couple of martini's and then will sometimes say some mean shyt to her. So, she still visits him, out of guilt I suppose. He's in his mid 80's, I'm just biding my time,if you know what I mean.

There's been a couple of times that I'd like to have knocked the shyt out of the old man.
Yes, time is on your side!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 PM

18,271 posts, read 14,469,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

That's awful .It especially hurts when a parent says such things. I know my mom has let slip out how she really feels about me a few times, as well. Doesn't make me like her any better. Worse is when I call her on it and tell her I won't be talking to her anymore because of the way she has become in her old age, and she turns and says I am a troublemaker who doesn't want to keep the peace in the family.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,407,083 times
LOL I have a friend who fishes for compliments...she'll cook us dinner and then apologize for how bland it is or how she overcooked the fish...whenever she does that I say "it's okay...it tastes wayyy better than it did the last time"

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL I have a friend who fishes for compliments...she'll cook us dinner and then apologize for how bland it is or how she overcooked the fish...whenever she does that I say "it's okay...it tastes wayyy better than it did the last time"
Oh that is so funny.

Reminds me, too, of the scene in The Joy Luck Club where the girl brings her white boyfriend home for dinner for the first time. The mother brings out the last dish to the table and says, "This is just something I made at the last minute...it isn't very good...", obviously a Chinese custom after which the guest is supposed to praise this dish above all others. The white guy tastes it and says, "No, it's fine! It just needs some soy sauce!" and proceeds to dump a bottle over the food while the family looks on in horror.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,407,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh that is so funny.

Reminds me, too, of the scene in The Joy Luck Club where the girl brings her white boyfriend home for dinner for the first time. The mother brings out the last dish to the table and says, "This is just something I made at the last minute...it isn't very good...", obviously a Chinese custom after which the guest is supposed to praise this dish above all others. The white guy tastes it and says, "No, it's fine! It just needs some soy sauce!" and proceeds to dump a bottle over the food while the family looks on in horror.
LOL I remember that...i haven't seen that movie in years; the book was much better yeah but she does that constantly...she'll get dressed and then talk abut how awful she looks so one of us can tell her how good she looks...nope I always go the other way and agree with whatever she's saying

Last edited by nat_at772; 01-04-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships