Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,781,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I
We have a LOT of animated discussions in my family over this very same subject. The men in my family don't think the woman is doing any harm. My mother and I take the other road in this.

It's a gender thing, I think.
It's classic passive aggression. That's a move girls perfect in middle school. These same people are always the most defensive and quick to defend their supposedly hurt feelings and honor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,576,225 times
My father has never been the soul of tact, but when I passed the Series 7 (a six-hour, 300 question exam to obtain a stockbroker's license) his response was: "Wow, that's great! And here I thought you'd never amount to anything!" Gee, thanks, Dad!

I've given up trying to call him on this. He just doesn't get it. He really doesn't see how rude and hurtful such comments can be. Here's another example: My son is in some major debt due to a misguided car purchase (the car keeps breaking down). My dad e-mailed me this: "He must have done something terrible in a past life to have all these financial woes now." Huh?! Say what?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,284,348 times
Oh my gosh, I have done similar things but meant absolutely no harm in it...

Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,734,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You can be both. They are not mutually exclusive qualities.

If someone tells me they are "brutally honest," I take that to mean "I enjoy being an azzhole."
No, either I sugarcoat the truth, or I tell it. Those are the options--black and white.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,286,221 times
I think the widely used "compliment" "you look good for your age" is also a backhanded compliment. It can definitely stop at "good" if you want the person to really feel good about it.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM

88,839 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Last night we ran into one of our friends. She would do anything for you, but she's not the most diplomatic person in the world. She was talking to an older woman, someone she's known for years, and the woman was talking about how she had just tried a new hairstyle and wasn't sure if it looked good on her or not.

Our friend told her it did. It kind of went back and forth like that for a minute. Then our friend says, "Honestly, it looks better than it has in years."

I was cringing inside. And the woman kind of paused and looked at our friend. It was almost comical. I felt bad for the woman, but she handled it very graciously and glossed over it.

LOL, do you know someone like this? Not someone who intentionally insults someone, but they just tend to blurt things out or are brutally honest? Have they dished out a particularly stinging backhanded compliment to you?
Oh YES. I once had a friend who would do that constantly. Some of the underhanded slaps I got were: "You made such a beautiful bride. I couldn't believe it was you." "Oh! I didn't realize it was you coming up the steps, you look so nice." And then when I made a two-hour trip to attend her brother's funeral: "I was surprised to see you in the church. I didn't expect to see you here."

I eventually dumped her as a friend at a time when I was shedding other negatives from my life, including my husband. I found out that on the day our divorce went through, she and her husband had him over for dinner and listened to him whine and cry about how I had done him so wrong. (He was an alcoholic, gambling-addicted, drug user who refused to work regularly.)

Every so often I hear from someone else that she doesn't understand why I don't contact her anymore, especially since she was my "best friend".

Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I find that people who claim to be brutally honest use honesty as an excuse to be offensive and insolent. I've met several people like that. Can't stand to be around them. I'm fine with honesty if it is constructive, respectful and sincere. I can spot a fake a mile away.
Oh, I agree. It's a way for them to be nasty but if you called them on it, they can look at you wide-eyed and say, "But all I said was..."

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
My father has never been the soul of tact, but when I passed the Series 7 (a six-hour, 300 question exam to obtain a stockbroker's license) his response was: "Wow, that's great! And here I thought you'd never amount to anything!" Gee, thanks, Dad!

I've given up trying to call him on this. He just doesn't get it. He really doesn't see how rude and hurtful such comments can be. Here's another example: My son is in some major debt due to a misguided car purchase (the car keeps breaking down). My dad e-mailed me this: "He must have done something terrible in a past life to have all these financial woes now." Huh?! Say what?
THANKS, you just brought back a parental memory. When I was young I went on a date with a guy who was really good-looking, but he turned out to be a jerk. I barely knew him, but everything I said he replied to with a sarcastic put-down...I got out of the car and walked a couple of miles to my grandmother's house, where I knew my mother was that night. When I got there I told her what had happened and her response was, "Oh that's great. And here I always thought you'd be such a pushover when it comes to men."

Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,781,578 times
^^^^^^Meanwhile she's spent the first 18 years of your life training you to accept backhanded comments!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
One time my buddy and I were ice fishing and the ice looked a little thin. I told him to go first because if it will hold you, it sure should be able to hold me? My buddy is over 300 pounds. He gestured with "The Bird"!LOL.......
LOL, I think it's different with guys. My dad and a buddy of his will trade insults on who's wearing the ugliest, out-of-date shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
SoG, I can see how your friend meant to say one thing, and came up with another. For example, I think she might have tried to convince her friend that her hairstyle was bi*ching, but wasn't sure how to express it properly, so she went too far and said she hadn't looked that great in ages. I often make such mistakes myself. I don't really know why though. I guess I sometimes talk before I think, myself. But no harm is meant. On the other hand, if the woman in question is always saying stuff like that, then she is doing it on purpose. And it could be due to envy. One must decipher which one she is.
Yes, like I said, they were going back and forth for a minute, so I think she was just trying to emphatically convince her that it looked nice - that's when the bomb dropped.

And I think we all do this sometimes. I'll think back on something I said, later, and cringe, wondering how they received it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Oh my gosh, I have done similar things but meant absolutely no harm in it...
Yes, see above statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh YES. I once had a friend who would do that constantly. Some of the underhanded slaps I got were: "You made such a beautiful bride. I couldn't believe it was you." "Oh! I didn't realize it was you coming up the steps, you look so nice." And then when I made a two-hour trip to attend her brother's funeral: "I was surprised to see you in the church. I didn't expect to see you here."

I eventually dumped her as a friend at a time when I was shedding other negatives from my life, including my husband. I found out that on the day our divorce went through, she and her husband had him over for dinner and listened to him whine and cry about how I had done him so wrong. (He was an alcoholic, gambling-addicted, drug user who refused to work regularly.)

Every so often I hear from someone else that she doesn't understand why I don't contact her anymore, especially since she was my "best friend".
Wow, good riddance, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships