Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,381,820 times

Advertisements

Do you think it can ruin a marriage or relationship? What are your thoughts. What would you suggest to remedy the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Default Proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
How much mis-communication can a relationship handle?
The better looking he or she is, the more poor communication the other party will tolerate.

At one extreme, they want to believe the best of everything and will hear what they want to hear.

At the other extreme, they will look for any thing to confirm the low opinion that they already have of this person. However, this not a relationship.

Many threads are straight out of this paradigm. They (usually women) hang on long after its obvious to everyone else, what is really being communicated to them.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Do you think it can ruin a marriage or relationship? What are your thoughts. What would you suggest to remedy the situation?
Sure, this can make a relationship very difficult. To remedy the situation you and your partner should practice "mirroring" each other when talking. This ensures you really get what you are each trying to say.

First your partner says what they need to say, then you repeat back what you understood them to say. They will either agree you heard them, or correct what they think you didn't hear by rephrasing it. Then it's your turn - you say what you think, they repeat to you what they heard you say to verify. It can seem cumbersome at first, but this really can help you to have better communication and much less MIScommunication

Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
The key to good communicating is the same as it's always been: Keep your mouth shut and listen to what the other person is saying, even non-verbally.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
It certainly can and will destroy a relationship of any kind, whether it be professional, friendships, SOs and relatives. The two suggestions above are very good methods of correcting it, but I have seen people purposefully make it difficult to communicate because they have something to hide or it's a control mechanism. If you can't find a method on your own, seek a counselor's help, because communication is what will ultimately make a relationship a success or failure.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,985 times
I agree with everyone so far. I use the mirroring technique occassionally with friends who never communicate clearly. And sometimes I tend to talk over people if I'm passionate about the conversation, so I've had to teach myself to wait and wait and wait until the other person finishes speaking so I can say what I want. haha, sometimes I can be impatient but I realize that and I work on it every chance I can!!
If the person your dating or married to can't see that they need to also take a moment to communicate clearly then yes, there will always be a strain on the relationship.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,216,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
First your partner says what they need to say, then you repeat back what you understood them to say. They will either agree you heard them, or correct what they think you didn't hear by rephrasing it. Then it's your turn - you say what you think, they repeat to you what they heard you say to verify. It can seem cumbersome at first, but this really can help you to have better communication and much less MIScommunication
I've read about this, but didn't think anybody really did it...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I've read about this, but didn't think anybody really did it...
Actually, that is the best method to defuse someone who tends to yell. Remain calm and repeat the point they are trying to make instead of yelling back.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,906,470 times
My ex and I still have this issue at times. For one thing he's English and I am American. Communication is one of those things that can always be improved upon, you don't have to let it ruin your relationship. Another tip that would have helped us would be if there's more than one way to take a statement, always try to take the positive road.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,216,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Actually, that is the best method to defuse someone who tends to yell. Remain calm and repeat the point they are trying to make instead of yelling back.
Well, if somebody yells at me, I'd yell back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships