Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,862 times

Advertisements

Shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:55 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,349 times
That's very subjective, but I'd say you're being "too picky" if you tell yourself and others that you're looking for a partner, and you have a list of criteria you're looking for in a partner, and 1) you repeatedly date people who meet most or all of those criteria, but you always find some flaw that causes you to dump them, 2) your list of criteria is so long and detailed that the odds of your finding a person who meets them are slim to none, or 3) you don't possess comparable qualities to those you're looking for in a partner (i.e., you're looking for someone way out of your league). This goes on for years, and you always gripe that "there are no decent, available men (or women) out there."

Bottom line: I think that people who genuinely are too picky are either extremely self-centered or are terrified of a relationship and thus are subconsciously sabotaging themselves.

That said, you have every right to be "too picky" if you want to be. You'll also probably end up alone -- and there's nothing wrong with that, if it's what you truly want.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:53 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,040,265 times
standards are a must have..for everyone...and one should stick to them..but, when a woman tells a guy who is 5'9" that she could not date him when she is 5'0"..thats just off the hook...

I once knew a woman who made it clear that if her man did not wear the right shoes..she would not date him...hense i ran away as fast as possible...love my sneeks..

Old 11-13-2009, 09:20 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,579,952 times
.............when the man is handed a questionaire on the first date.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
.............when the man is handed a questionaire on the first date.

Ummmm. . . .

Kidding lol.

I actually don't think I'm all too picky, but some of my male friends do. My main dealbreaker is attraction. I have to be attracted to the guy. Naturally, the attraction depends on a variety of factors, but there is no dead set list (with the exception of not dumb, pessimistic, overweight, or ignorant).

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,661,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
standards are a must have..for everyone...and one should stick to them..but, when a woman tells a guy who is 5'9" that she could not date him when she is 5'0"..thats just off the hook...

I once knew a woman who made it clear that if her man did not wear the right shoes..she would not date him...hense i ran away as fast as possible...love my sneeks..
I think a woman who would use height as an excuse in this situation is really letting the guy off gently. She's saying, hmmm... nah, not interested. I think that a good, date-able guy would see this and graciously bow out. I think a jerky, not so date-able guy would use this as further evidence that all women are picky and unreasonable and have such high standards and yadda yadda women suck blah blah blah, let me start a thread on city data to complain. If I were a woman who was 5'0", or h#ll, even 4'0", I wouldn't date this guy either .. he's too d*** short!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
Anyone who makes lists is too picky in my book. You're not choosing a car, for goodness sake!

People are people. Just because they don't tick some of the boxes in your silly little checklist do not make them inferior.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 PM

146 posts, read 462,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Shoot.
If you want a guy who's model good looking, drives a car, has a condo in the city, vacations in Europe frequently, but miraculously doesn't have to spend a lot of time working for all that money so he can spend it with you, you're too picky.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
That's very subjective, but I'd say you're being "too picky" if you tell yourself and others that you're looking for a partner, and you have a list of criteria you're looking for in a partner, and 1) you repeatedly date people who meet most or all of those criteria, but you always find some flaw that causes you to dump them, 2) your list of criteria is so long and detailed that the odds of your finding a person who meets them are slim to none, or 3) you don't possess comparable qualities to those you're looking for in a partner (i.e., you're looking for someone way out of your league). This goes on for years, and you always gripe that "there are no decent, available men (or women) out there."

Bottom line: I think that people who genuinely are too picky are either extremely self-centered or are terrified of a relationship and thus are subconsciously sabotaging themselves.

That said, you have every right to be "too picky" if you want to be. You'll also probably end up alone -- and there's nothing wrong with that, if it's what you truly want.
Really good response.

I've have known women that have hand written lists of criteria numbering over 100 different attributes. GOOD LUCK!

In my life experience I am finding there that there is a good and bad to everything and everyone. Picking a mate I think just comes down to what you are able to accept in another person and I try to look at it as a balance beam with the good far outweighing the bad.

Being selective is great, but overly picky about things that matter little like shoe size or boob size or color of their eyes or that they like a certain type of music or enjoy fiction books is stupid.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
If you want a guy who's model good looking, drives a car, has a condo in the city, vacations in Europe frequently, but miraculously doesn't have to spend a lot of time working for all that money so he can spend it with you, you're too picky.
Women are definitely guilty of it and men probably are as well, but I think media has fried our brains. As a society we have some unrealistic expectations of romantic partners not to mention everything else.

Can't tell you how many women I come across that believe men should have 5% body fat, six pack abs, the stylish bachelor pad, the "city" high paid do nothing job, the cool car, the cool wardrobe, the grand vacations, etc.

I think they've been watching too many movies and tv shows. Especially when I take into consideration their looks and presentation and accomplishments.

And there are men that have that but realistically unless they struck it rich with some internet company or had a trust fund from mommy and daddy, most likely they are self realized men aged 35-50.

Realistically 20 year old men or dudes I see are driving around in a boom box on crappy wheels, some old 15 year old Ford Mustang with a poor fitting body kit, their baseball cap askew, dirty holey jeans dragging to the ground and have $5 in their pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships