Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 21,723 times

Advertisements

My sister is divorced and has the kids except for weekend visitation but her EXhusband is spending serious money to try to get the kids from her full time. He wants total legal custody. One of his main concerns is the kids weight. The twins are 12 years old and weigh almost 250 pounds apiece.

My sister is suffering from serve depression (she is actually bipolar) and is ignoring the kids at dinner time and they are just eating all day. Maybe it is their way to deal with the stress of having a bipolar Mother. The Ex Husband says the kids weight is an indication of her being an unfit parent.

What do you make of this?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,061,104 times
I think he's right. Until she gets her depression under control and is able to be a proper parent to her children, their father is the best parent for them to be with as he seems to have their best interests at heart.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,040,010 times
it's hard to say because there are so many overweight children these days. it's a national epidemic. however, in this instance he may be right. however, how will the children feel being removed from their mother? that could seriously set them back and at 12 they are about to be teenagers and their removal could send them down the wrong path. is the mother or father overweight? because if they are, then the twins would have ended up that way anyway more than likely. so, if that is the case i think it would be better to have the children stay where they are right now. lots of mothers have mental problems and they manage to keep their children. maybe she should look into a better medication.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,061,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_poster View Post
My sister is divorced and has the kids except for weekend visitation but her EXhusband is spending serious money to try to get the kids from her full time. He wants total legal custody. One of his main concerns is the kids weight. The twins are 12 years old and weigh almost 250 pounds apiece.

My sister is suffering from serve depression (she is actually bipolar) and is ignoring the kids at dinner time and they are just eating all day. Maybe it is their way to deal with the stress of having a bipolar Mother. The Ex Husband says the kids weight is an indication of her being an unfit parent.

I highly doubt this is their way of dealing with stress. If mom doesn't make dinner for them, they're probably hungry!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:

Sorry, more power to the ex! These kids health is at serious risk at that weight - they are WAY too young to be dealing with such a serious problem - not to mention, living with a mom so depressed she can't parent them properly is child neglect. These kids need rescuing - kudos to your ex brother-in-law for doing the right thing. You ought to focus your energies on helping your sister get the help she needs.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
The Ex is right. If my 12-year-old was tipping the scales at 250, I'd have already whisked them away. Yes, I know your sister is depressive and bipolar (Which is probably reason enough for him to have custody as it is), but this will cause long-term physical harm if this is left unchecked.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,498,424 times
Do weight problems run in the family? Have the children's thyroid been checked? Certainly that is very heavy for such young children. Does she feed them junk all the time? If she is bipolar and is not feeding these children correctly she certainly could lose them.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
It is against Jesus to be overweight but nobody is really perfect.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,587,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think he's right. Until she gets her depression under control and is able to be a proper parent to her children, their father is the best parent for them to be with as he seems to have their best interests at heart.
Sorry to say this considering it's your sister, but I agree with Twinkle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is against Jesus to be overweight but nobody is really perfect.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,215,697 times
Quote:

The most important thing for children is their health. Not school, not their manners, not going to church on sundays (what ever thats suposed to be good for) but their HEALTH.

The damn kids weigh MORE THAN ME! and I'm considered a big guy for being an adult male! She is doing a crappy job as a parent and the kids should be taken even if there was no father to put them with.

They need a new, strict diet and PLENTY of exercise, if you take the car somewhere, use a dogs leash and tie the kids to the back of it! they need every extra step they can get. (ok that was a joke but u get the idea)

250 lbs at 12 years old DAMN! thats what the center weighed in my high-school football team, and he looked a bit obese...

Don't they have any bullies in their school to give them a reality check? GEEZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships