Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:39 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Men are expected to be tough. To be "the strong one". I have to do it all the time. And it's hard sometimes. When I had to put down my sons horse I bit back on the tears (and still do) so he could let them out. I've had to do similar things all to many times. It's not always a matter of choice to keep things bottled up. Being a man ain't easy. It's got nothing to do with appearances (not in my case anyway) and everything to do with being there and being in control of my emotions when everyone else is falling apart. The only time I actually just lost it was when my Dad died. For wrong or right thats just how things have to be , I guess. My Dad was the same way. I'm certainly not devoid of feelings and I get choked up a lot when things get emotionally rocky. The aformentioned incident with the horse will haunt me forever. But for my little guys sake I can't let on how much it bothers me. Some things he just don't need to know. I'll keep that burden on my shoulders. Thats what a MAN does. Don't mean that I won't cry when I get a moment to myself. Nobody said that things were gonna be easy. I know now how hard it must have been for my Dad at times. But someones gotta fill the big boots now and I guess I'm elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
lol, you might be on to something.. Girls dance with each other, sometimes kiss each other and sometimes hold each other in ways that make you think to yourself and scratch your head... .
Ick...I definitely don't do that.
Girls who do that are usually attention whores, seeking male attention for that behavior, which they are often rewarded with.

----

I think it would be nice if men in general were more open. Men complain that women seem to expect them to read women's minds, but women can't read men's minds either

Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Men are expected to be tough. To be "the strong one". I have to do it all the time. And it's hard sometimes. When I had to put down my sons horse I bit back on the tears (and still do) so he could let them out. I've had to do similar things all to many times. It's not always a matter of choice to keep things bottled up. Being a man ain't easy. It's got nothing to do with appearances (not in my case anyway) and everything to do with being there and being in control of my emotions when everyone else is falling apart. The only time I actually just lost it was when my Dad died. For wrong or right thats just how things have to be , I guess. My Dad was the same way. I'm certainly not devoid of feelings and I get choked up a lot when things get emotionally rocky. The aformentioned incident with the horse will haunt me forever. But for my little guys sake I can't let on how much it bothers me. Some things he just don't need to know. I'll keep that burden on my shoulders. Thats what a MAN does. Don't mean that I won't cry when I get a moment to myself. Nobody said that things were gonna be easy. I know now how hard it must have been for my Dad at times. But someones gotta fill the big boots now and I guess I'm elected.

I hear you loud and clear. Putting down animals is pretty hard to do. I wish animals could live longer lives especially dogs because after 10-15 years they really start to change. Proly like other guys on here I had the best %%% dog a man could have; he never left my side until we had to put him asleep. RIP Rockey.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I think it would be nice if men in general were more open. Men complain that women seem to expect them to read women's minds, but women can't read men's minds either

lol, well this City Data is helping the process.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:30 PM

378 posts, read 772,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Why not? Aren't his feelings just as valid as yours?
Of course they're valid. It's just men and women express them differently. I'm fine with that. Some people are not...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Again, I wasn't aware men had feelings !!

KIDDING.

I don't know about everyone else but in my family the so called men had plenty of feelings they just were never taught how to deal with them appropriately. Society expects different things from men and no matter how much we want to believe it, we raise our children that way.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've know this for a long time and have always felt sorry for men because of it. Most women look to men not to cave in a crisis. There's a lot of pressure placed on men because of society. When women talked about their rights, I, in another way, thought Men don't really have some rights, either, under a lot of stress, which is why they get more heart attacks.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Why should I gush my feelings when my wife has enough for the both of us?

She's a stay at home mom, studying for her masters degree, primary caregiver, full time nurse, chief cook and bottle washer... Why and the hell should I burden her with the BS of my day?

I'm her rock. She's not my sponge, lol.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Why is it so hard for men to open up and express there feelings? I mean any feelings! Are they afraid of coming across as not being MANLY?
Because men who express their feelings are gay. Honestly. Not to mention it makes you look weak. A real man doesn't express his feelings and if he does, you better start wondering.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
and if you want a sensitive guy, then go find one... They're out there, and more than willing to be your partner, but Jesus, don't expect a 'guy' to be a girlfriend.

Find a metro-sexual dudette that plays that game. Let the rest of us be ourselves, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships