Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 AM

11,406 posts, read 24,506,370 times

Advertisements

I think you overreacted. The situation is a little unusual, but your reaction shows that you are the one out of control, not the GF.

I'm sorry you've made her feel like such an evil person from such an innocent, if naive, event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,473,704 times
Just checking back in on this thread.

Has he dumped her yet? I need an update.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I don't think you are overreacting at all. I think the situation you were put in was very awkward and immature on the part of your girlfriend. If I were the mother of that child, I'd have a big issue with it. You should definitely bring it up to your g/f and explain that what she did was innappropriate. Do I think you should break up with her? I don't know, that might be a bit extreme but you are definitely right to be upset.
Ok, maybe it's because I don't have kids so I don't get it, but why is the putting the kid in bed with the guy part bad? I get that the pictures were not a good idea, but what was wrong with the rest? The girlfriend was there the whole time, and nothing inappropriate was said or implied. I agree giving a strange man unsupervised access to a child is not a good idea, but while she was there? Why is this so bad? I really think fear of what 'men' can do is being blown out of all proportion here. It wasn't a sleep over or unsupervised visit. It was a few minutes of a man and a kid on the same bed at the same time with someone there playing with the child.
Unless this guy had a prior history of child abuse, then the whole thing sounds totally innocent to me.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM

918 posts, read 1,645,763 times
I suppose I'll add my two cents, since I have been reading this thread since creation...

I would be a little bit weirded out by it. However, in what "position" were you two in the pictures? Was she just laying beside you? Resting her head on you? That would make a difference to me... And the clothing aspect...

Do whatever you feel is right. We weren't there, you were... so if you think dumping her is the right decision, go through with it!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM

37 posts, read 106,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ok, maybe it's because I don't have kids so I don't get it, but why is the putting the kid in bed with the guy part bad? I get that the pictures were not a good idea, but what was wrong with the rest? The girlfriend was there the whole time, and nothing inappropriate was said or implied. I agree giving a strange man unsupervised access to a child is not a good idea, but while she was there? Why is this so bad? I really think fear of what 'men' can do is being blown out of all proportion here. It wasn't a sleep over or unsupervised visit. It was a few minutes of a man and a kid on the same bed at the same time with someone there playing with the child.
Unless this guy had a prior history of child abuse, then the whole thing sounds totally innocent to me.
Because he was half-naked, if you were a parent you probably wouldn't want your daughter in some half-naked-strange-guy's bed, (who you had only just met like the day before.)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felidire View Post
Because he was half-naked, if you were a parent you probably wouldn't want your daughter in some half-naked-strange-guy's bed, (who you had only just met like the day before.)
Why, if it was my sister's partner and she was supervising the entire time?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,700,483 times
Yeah, I think you're overreacting. I understand your discomfort, but I can also see your girlfriend thinking she knows you well enough and feeling comfortable enough NOT to be thinking what you were. Maybe the little girl crawled into bed with auntie and you just happened to be there, too. Maybe your girlfriend thought it was cute seeing the two of you asleep in bed and her "family" wheels started turning, leading to the Kodak moment. I don't think it's anything to break up over, unless you're one of those CF types. Granted, it probably wasn't such a hot idea on your girlfriend's part, and I would probably be livid if I were the little girl's mom, but I actually find your behavior to be odd in this situation, not hers. You should know your girlfriend well enough at this point to know her intentions. For you to jump to such conclusions would ring some alarm bells for me if I were her.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 PM

519 posts, read 1,699,331 times
I don't think the OP is overreacting. Unfortunately, men have been vilified (whether for justified or unjustified reasons), and men are accused of being molesters at the drop of a hat. Six months is still early in the relationship ... and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they had known each other longer, but I CERTAINLY would not my kid in bed with a half naked man I didn't know. Is it worth breaking up over? Probably not. Just more discretion is needed.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,004,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felidire View Post
You're either naked or you're not - there's no such thing as "half-naked." Was he wearing as much clothing as if he were at a swimming pool? I'd bet so.

And he's not a strange guy - he's the SO of the mother's sister.

I think it's a total overreaction. You have to be nuts to think this is something worth breaking up over.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,845,369 times
I agree with houstoner. It sounds like the girlfriend was imagining what it would be like to start a family and have children with the OP. She thought her boyfriend looked cute with the child, so she wanted to capture the moment with a picture.

I think it would be very unusual to be setting him up for blackmail, but I suppose anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships