Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,177 times

Advertisements

Is it wiser to be married or is it preferable to remain a bachelor? Are bachelors in fact smarter than married men?

Dr. Laurence J. Peter authored several books, and to him is attributed the remarkable Peter Principle. Among Peter's many insights are the following:

Quote:
In a society based on marriage, why do so many men remain bachelors?

It is easy to find a girl and to fall in love when a man is young. The urge is strong, the sap is high, and the powers of selectivity are undeveloped.

“The girl who is easy to get may be hard to take.” – F. Wisely

There are some men who do not fall in love and some who keep falling in love but do not marry. As a man matures sooner or later he reaches the age of discretion. The blood ceases to boil and reason takes over. Instead of rushing into marriage he considers the evidence for or against. After a man reaches a certain age, marriage decreases in value. The urgent appetite for sex decreases. He is now experienced at satisfying his needs without benefit of marriage. He still wants sex, but the price he is willing to pay has slumped.

A bachelor does not grow lonelier as the years pass by. He learns how to live with himself. He satisfies his unique social needs. His companions may consist of members of his own sex or of the opposite sex or any combination of the above. He may dream of the exceptional girl who could excite him to the point where he would give up all this, but while his standards are going up, the quality of what he can get is going down. The available choice of desirable prospective wives gets smaller day by day. As his competence in making a rational selection increases, the desirable selectees decrease.

To estimate his chances of success he looks at his married pals. Most are stalking girls at the office or sneaking off with others’ wives. He concludes that if married men have mistresses or look for sex and love outside of marriage he would not improve his situation by wedlock. A bachelor is a man who looks before he leaps – and then does not leap.

“Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn’t, they’d be married, too.” – H.L. Mencken
Do you agree with Peter’s analysis?

Is there a corollary for bachelorettes?

Since the time that Peter wrote this (almost 40 years ago), have any factors changed which would alter the validity of his analysis?

Is Peter’s paradigm equally applicable across the entire range of sociological and anthropological stratifications?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
bachelors die younger than married men!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
married men do not live longer. it just seems longer.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Well, I don't know about men, but I know a gal is probably smarter if she never marries! I just didn't have on my thinking cap one day!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,633 times
What an absurd thread - but hey, I'll bite.

I wouldn't say bachelor's/married mean are "smarter". That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I've seen bachelor's grow old alone and die alone - and many who are perfectly happy being single and/or married.

Einstein was still a freakin' genius and he was married several times. Bill Gates... married... maybe he lost a few brain cells when he tied the knot... Claude Monet - married... no wonder his painting were so terrible... Steve Hawkins... MARRIED. Hmmm, he needs to cut his ties with the wife - she must be holding him down...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
my general feeling is that one marries because they enjoy having a partner. often people who lose a spouse often get married again. they are relationship-kind-of people.

greenie

Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Somewhere in the middle are the men that don't easily fall in love or indiscriminately have sex with any willing female, yet aren't too wary to never marry. Those I believe are the smartest men as they do marry (and live longer than the permanent bachelors) but by being selective, they end up with a better wife and life partner than the men that had to marry the first girl they knocked up.

I believe that the older the couple is when they marry, the higher their education level and income bracket... thus leading to a higher quality of life.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,180 times
I think all of this is just nonsense, nonsense I tell you. I plan to marry later this year, and I think that I'm a pretty fart smeller, .......er, I mean, a pretty smart feller!!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, I don't know about men, but I know a gal is probably smarter if she never marries! I just didn't have on my thinking cap one day!!!
I agree with that.

Some people- men are not meant to be married. They are simply too selfish- like my stbx

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,849 times
Since the time that Peter wrote this (almost 40 years ago), have any factors changed which would alter the validity of his analysis?

How valid is his analysis? In order to have a valid analysis Peter would have to have included solid data in order to convince me that the argument/analysis is valid. Statements like, "Most are stalking girls at the office or sneaking off with others’ wives. He concludes that if married men have mistresses or look for sex and love outside of marriage he would not improve his situation by wedlock," are merely opinions until he presents accurate data.

Peter's analysis of bachelorhood in my opinion, is only his opinion. I think there are tons of married men who would probably disagree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships