Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hot girl/ugly guy OR Hot guy/ugly girl
Hot girls with ugly guys 60 72.29%
Hot guys with ugly girls 23 27.71%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,629,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Sure, there is no guarantee, however there is simply no evidence that would suggest such occurs. In the absence of such evidence, I'd rather stick to conventional wisdom and what is already been established rather than throwing that all out for anecdotal evidence of this one unattractive friend that everyone seems to have on here.
You have no evidence at all that suggests otherwise. No scientific data will ever say that all women or all men are entirely the same and are all attracted to the same things. That is nonsense.

Look at this poll alone. It's 2:1 saying they see attractive women with unattractive men. But I suppose we are all making it up.

You're the one who said attractive women do not date "unattractive/hideous" men, implying that unattractive and hideous are the same thing. You're the one who put the slash there but you don't know what it means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Looks and physical attraction matter a lot to women. How is that at all offensive? If you're trying to label me a bigot, then you're doomed to fail. I hold no bigoted views to women. My generalizations may seem off-putting, but it takes an incredibly sensitive and thin-skinned person to infer from my posts that I have a problem with women.
1. Looks and physical attraction mean a lot to men as well, but you don't comment on threads about how important they are to men.
2. I never called you a bigot. Don't put words in my mouth.

It's laughable how you complain about being personally attacked when you have called me juvenile, thin-skinned and "incredibly sensitive" all in this thread. It is true that I didn't need to make any comments about how I perceived your attitude, but you are making actual assumptions about my personality. If you don't like to be judged then don't do it to others. Simple enough to understand.

I have no interest in continuing a conversation with you when you continue to make snide comments to me and attempt to mask it (poorly might I add) as actual argument. I'm never personally offended by random Internet stranger comments, but I see no reason to waste my time when someone's not even interested in real dialog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM

377 posts, read 621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You have no evidence at all that suggests otherwise. No scientific data will ever say that all women or all men are entirely the same and are all attracted to the same things. That is nonsense.
It is nonsense, true, but the onus is on you and others on here to bring forth some evidence that is direct conflict about everything we know of how attraction works from a scientific perspective. Otherwise, your anecdotes do not trump established science. Just as I cannot conduct a scientific experiment to disprove the existence of big foot, that doesn't mean I should accept it simply because many people have claimed they saw it.

Quote:
Look at this poll alone. It's 2:1 saying they see attractive women with unattractive men. But I suppose we are all making it up.
I didn't claim they haven't seen it, rather, they can't be sure if it wasn't for something else such as excessive wealth and or status. What I'm truly skeptical of are claims of attractive women being genuinely attracted to ugly men. This has never been observed in nature and there's good scientific reasons to believe it simply does not ever happen. That is what I'm saying. Could there be new evidence tomorrow that flips this whole argument on his head? Sure, but until then, I'll continue to remain skeptical.

Quote:
You're the one who said attractive women do not date "unattractive/hideous" men, implying that unattractive and hideous are the same thing. You're the one who put the slash there but you don't know what it means?
That's because they are interchangeable. You claimed they are not, and I asked you to clarify on why you think that is the case.

Thesaurus.com agrees with me: unattractive and hideous are synonymous.

Quote:
1. Looks and physical attraction mean a lot to men as well, but you don't comment on threads about how important they are to men.
2. I never called you a bigot. Don't put words in my mouth.
Yes, they are. I never claimed they were not. The problem is, however, men are a lot more willing to compromise on what they find attractive while women often are not. You'll find men will be attracted to a wide variety of women, while the vast majority of women are all attracted to a small minority of men. We know this phenomenon is real and it is easily explained through evolutionary psychology. That is why you'll see a lot more good looking men with women that are quite unattractive, but never the reverse (organically at least).

Quote:
It's laughable how you complain about being personally attacked when you have called me juvenile, thin-skinned and "incredibly sensitive" all in this thread. It is true that I didn't need to make any comments about how I perceived your attitude, but you are making actual assumptions about my personality. If you don't like to be judged then don't do it to others. Simple enough to understand.
You're the one who started these personal attacks by bringing up my post history and alleged issues with women, which were completely uncalled for. It truly is incredible how you can then proceed to play the victim when you're the one who began this ordeal with all of the unwarranted assumptions you made of me.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,107,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I think I see more hot girls with ugly guys. How about you guys?
I live in one of the most shallowest, stuck up places in America known as NYC. I mostly see good looking guys with unattractive women everyday . However when I travel outside the city or to other parts of America that are laid back i see hot women with unattractive men. But mainly I see unattractive women with good looking especially in low income places. I guess unattractive women might be raunchy. I think areas with plenty of density favors women more than men.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-14-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,760,201 times
I generally see hot chicks with average joes, but hey they can do whatever it is they want.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 PM

458 posts, read 646,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I live in one of the most shallowest, stuck up places in America known as NYC. I mostly see good looking guys with unattractive women everyday . However when I travel outside the city or to other parts of America that are laid back i see hot women with unattractive men. But mainly I see unattractive women with good looking especially in low income places. I guess unattractive women might be raunchy. I think areas with plenty of density favors women more than men.
Don't forget that NYC is also the fashion capital of America, which means generation after generation of women constantly compete against each other in the beauty department.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,156,649 times
The unattractive man + attractive woman combo is likely more common, due to what society values for each gender...
but being woman, I notice attractive men + unattractive women combos more. Generally, most seem evenly paired, with some give for tastes & grooming, etc.

However, I notice that when a man is VERY good-looking, that he rarely is with a woman on the same level. If he's moderately good-looking or just cute, then he's often with someone about the same. Maybe the VERY good-looking men have less of the other socially valuable stuff to offer, maybe it's just hard for them to find someone on their level, who knows. But they frequently seem to be with confident women who are not particularly beautiful.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 PM

458 posts, read 646,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
But they frequently seem to be with confident women who are not particularly beautiful.
confident women who are not particularly beautiful = good in bed (ie: good sex)

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,156,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
confident women who are not particularly beautiful = good in bed (ie: good sex)
Seems a silly generalization to me. You can be confident AND beautiful. I think it's more that these guys are used to women coming to them, and confident but not very beautiful women will pursue them, but confident AND beautiful women don't have to pursue either.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, I'm in college and I definitely see more hot girls with ugly guys. A lot of girls are looking to get the MRS, so they date the nerdy engineering major and marrying him after graduation.
I never got this memo.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,968,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Depends if you're asking a girl or a guy. Guys have eyes will automatically zone in on any hot girl within a 100 ft proximity. But guys don't know if other guys are "hot." Most guys will find most other guys either normal or ugly, but not hot so they just assume any hot girl is with an average guy when in fact the guy might be considered to be hot by a girl.
Some guys can tell how attractive other guys are. And I mean hetero guys.

I myself am absolutely horrible at judging if guys are attractive or not. I believe this led me to a great deficiency in judging myself against my competition over the years. If I was more capable of judging other guys, I may have been able to better evaluate my chances and opportunities dating.

Because of this, I can't answer this question honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships