Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

How does one cope with the fact that they are not successful at meeting the opposite sex and/or building solid relationships? I'm 35 years old and unmarried w/out children. I have always wanted to be a mom, but sadly, I've had to accept the fact that it will never happen for me.

I don't want to have an out of wedlock child, without being married and I just don't see myself getting married anytime soon, because at my age, it's difficult to meet the type of guy that would be well suited to be a husband and a father.

I hate bars and the idea of online dating, also I would never date anyone from my office. I'm just trying to cope with my reality. Any suggestions on how to cope with this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM

887 posts, read 1,104,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac2341 View Post
How does one cope with the fact that they are not successful at meeting the opposite sex and/or building solid relationships? I'm 35 years old and unmarried w/out children. I have always wanted to be a mom, but sadly, I've had to accept the fact that it will never happen for me.

I don't want to have an out of wedlock child, without being married and I just don't see myself getting married anytime soon, because at my age, it's difficult to meet the type of guy that would be well suited to be a husband and a father.

I hate bars and the idea of online dating, also I would never date anyone from my office. I'm just trying to cope with my reality. Any suggestions on how to cope with this sort of thing?

I don't have a good answer for you other than to just hang in there. Women have babies all the time much older than you so don't invest to much into that. You never know when you might run into the right guy.

I'm sorry you are hurting. The holidays make it tougher.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
I don't have a good answer for you other than to just hang in there. Women have babies all the time much older than you so don't invest to much into that. You never know when you might run into the right guy.

I'm sorry you are hurting. The holidays make it tougher.
I'm just curious, where would I meet the right guy if I don't go to bars/clubs and I don't want to do the "online dating" thing?

I really want to have a boyfriend, but I'm not really sure how to meet him at this point. Part of my problem is, I relocated due to a new job and I don't have any friends and family in the area. This means that I don't have anyone to hang out with, so it's difficult for me to plan different activities, because often that means going places alone.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, where would I meet the right guy if I don't go to bars/clubs and I don't want to do the "online dating" thing?

I really want to have a boyfriend, but I'm not really sure how to meet him at this point. Part of my problem is, I relocated due to a job to a totally new state w/out any friends and family in the area. This means that I don't have friends to hang out with, so it's difficult for me to plan different activities, because often that means going places alone.
Have you looked at volunteer opportunities in your area, hobby groups, meetups, film society, different classes to take, gym classes, bookclubs, gardening classes at the local nursery (once we get through winter, ha), whatever? There must be a newspaper (often these are free) that list weekly scheduled activities. Some wouldn't be listed, such as language classes through the Alliance Francaise or Goethe Institute, cooking classes through your local kitchen supply store, skeet shooting or archery at your local rifle range (a great place to meet men!), etc. It all depends on your interests.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,229,445 times
Quote:
Coffee shop, grocery store, the park, meetup groups, etc. I'd look to see if there are groups in your area that share some of your interests/hobbies. Even if you don't meet Mr. Right, you can make some friends.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,217,572 times
What is your issue with online dating?

Nothing wrong with going places alone.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 PM

353 posts, read 461,450 times
There is a lot of this kind of thread in this forum.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,217,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
There is a lot of this kind of thread in this forum.

Yeah, I don't get it, young people (relatively) that want something important to them, but won't seize it and do it on their own, and then rule out perfectly good ways to meet people for some odd reason. Self destructive really, like they're afraid of finding something.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,835,077 times
I think your first step would be to build your social network. Like someone else mentioned, join some singles meetup groups. Even if you don't meet someone that way, you make friends (and networking is a great way to meet men). And aside from meeting men, having friends in your new area will probably cheer you up.

I sometimes relay my bad luck online dating. It really didn't work for me. But really, I am at no loss for trying it. If nothing else, I have interesting stories to tell And importantly, it does work for some people--I'd say just give it a shot for a few months. Don't knock it till you try it.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,636,340 times
I want something but am not willing to do whatever it takes.

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships