Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times

Advertisements

Do you feel alone even though you are in a relationship?

If you do, is it worse to feel alone when you are in a relationship or alone when you are single?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
I feel alone if he doesn't give me any signs of interest.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM

501 posts, read 801,658 times
At this point, I envy singles and believe cohabitation is overrated. I will admit I will miss the companionship aspect of being part of a couple.

But yes I feel alone and want to be alone now, this is because he is complacent with being on unemployment ($250/wk), chooses to play games on his phone instead of looking for jobs, in the past when I've made suggestions to be proactive and do things together he flakes out with helping them come to fruition, he constantly leaves the house to talk on the phone and yesterday left my dog (my baby) in the hot car and when I found him was in the beginning stages of a heatstroke an argument ensued and lunging towards me and kept putting his hands in my face as if he was going to hit me.

I'd rather be alone to avoid wasting another 6 yrs of my life with the next ***hole.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

If you do, is it worse to feel alone when you are in a relationship or alone when you are single?
I think if one feels alone in a relationship, that normally means that she or he is not truly happy.

Unmet emotional needs perhaps.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

I think feeling alone in a relationship is harder than feeling alone when you are single.

That's because people have the expectation that they should never feel lonely when they are with someone, so the fact they can be is surprising, unexpected and disappointing. It's also sometimes a red flag that the relationship might not be going too well and it can zap your energy to have to face that and deal with it.

But a single person is more likely to be realistic that there will be times they will be lonely - it won't necessarily be a surprise to them. Additionally, they can feel more empowered to DO something to combat the loneliness because all actions are strictly up to them - there is no other party they have to consult or run ideas by so to speak

Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,976 times
I'd rather be single and alone then be in a relationship and feel alone.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think feeling alone in a relationship is harder than feeling alone when you are single.

That's because people have the expectation that they should never feel lonely when they are with someone, so the fact they can be is surprising, unexpected and disappointing. It's also sometimes a red flag that the relationship might not be going too well and it can zap your energy to have to face that and deal with it.

But a single person is more likely to be realistic that there will be times they will be lonely - it won't necessarily be a surprise to them. Additionally, they can feel more empowered to DO something to combat the loneliness because all actions are strictly up to them - there is no other party they have to consult or run ideas by so to speak
That makes sense.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
I'd rather be single and alone then be in a relationship and feel alone.
Seriously.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,382,207 times
Feeling lonely in a relationship and feeling lonely as a single are two different flavors of the same feeling, IMHO. Both aren't too good. I'm the outlier here. I'd rather be lonely in a relationship, because unless it's an abusive one, at least there are moments when things seem like they might be getting better. And then there's the comfort of knowing that there's another human being breathing in the next room.

Feeling lonely as a single makes me self-destructive; I make rash decisions that I would not make if I had been in a bad relationship. No matter the quality of the relationship, I always feel more focused. But that's just me.

Again, not saying that either one of these situations is a good one to be in.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,040 times
I have been in relationships where my SO would be sitting by me, yet I would feel as though I were in solitary because the tension was thick.

I have come to accept my moments of loneliness now that I am single. Single |sin•gle| (adjective) - Too fabulous to settle.

The former is the worst kind of prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships