Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,181,459 times

Advertisements

I've had 2:
1 was a former GF several years later.
(we are still friends... Actually at one point we were in bed together discussing if she wanted to start dating her fiancée)

The other (i kinda forgot about, but i guess thats the right description) we had something (motorcycles) in common, I was moving in 8-9 months and while we liked each other... We knew there was an expiration date.
We've had motorcycle dates when I was back in the area with my bike, and otherwise visited (and ive met her BF) since.
(that one started after several motorcycle rides.... We ended up back at my place!)
Nature progressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,810,838 times
My good FWB started off as both of us rebounding from failed relationships and we met thinking we needed a new partner and we became good soundboards and support for each other as we had similar childhoods, viewpoints and painful losses. After that, we became good friends, I gave her massages and feet rubs and eventually we bonked and played with each other for the fun of it.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,051,124 times
So it sounds like in most cases it starts with two people who are already friends.

Mine have not really been that way. My FWB relationships have been friendships, too -- sometimes very close friendships, besties. But usually the sex was there from the beginning

Some started because I was specifically seeking a FWB, and not interested in a real romance. I looked for guys who wanted the same, online or IRL. One was a romance that didn't work and turned into a best-friendship, with occasional benefits.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,630,757 times
I'm not a woman, but in my experience "friends with benefits" isn't something you suggest. It's something that just happens organically, same as with other types of social relationships. I don't suggest to someone that we be friends, or that we be boyfriend/girlfriend, either. All of these types of relationships naturally evolve. Sure, at some point you might have a "define the relationship" talk, but that's something that happens later on, not when you're first getting together.

I really hate the term "friends with benefits" by the way. The way I see it, there are people I'm friends with and there are people I have sex with. Sometimes I have sex with my friends. That doesn't make it any new special category in need of its own label, really. We're just friends who happen to have sex.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,432,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
We get a lot of posts here from guys saying they want an FWB, but that they think if they suggest it to a woman she will be offended.

We also get a lot of posts from women talking about happy FWB relationships they have had.

So, women, what is the non-offensive way to broach the subject? Or do you always want to be the one who brings it up? Or is nothing potentially offensive? How did your past FWB relationships start? What would be the ideal beginning of a future one?
I cannot answer the first few questions-I don't know, I've only had one FWB (which I distinguish from ONS).

Have had the same FWB since 2009, off & on.
When I've found a romantic relationship (with someone else)
we ceased contact-then revived it when my relationship ended.

How my FWB situation began:
A friend at the time, whom I'd told about my dating (lack thereof) woes, said she could find me someone.
I was clear that I wanted a relationship, however I also knew that a FWB would be far more likely-and I was willing to take what I could get.

She went to her male acquaintances (I don't know how the talk on that end went) and came back to me with one at a time.
The guy I eventually chose was either the 2nd or 3rd person I was introduced to.
The intro was where she & her bf, and the guy & I, would sit around & play a card game together to see how interaction went.

My friend had done the behind-the-scenes work of making sure we were both available.
Can't recall exactly how the conversation between he & I went-but our intentions/motivations were already known to us both, thanks to the mutual friend.
So we expressed, euphemistically, that we each found the other acceptable for this purpose (physicality).

It was really helpful having a third party make the introductions and explaining the situation to each of us separately.

On the one hand, the FWB and I aren't "friends", in that we don't hang out together often nor have we much in common to discuss.
However, it's not as detached as a FB, since we occasionally talk a bit and try to be considerate/kind in how we treat each other-
we don't use the FWB dynamic as an excuse to be rude or callous towards each other, we still treat each other decently, like human beings.

However, there will never be more between us-there is zero potential for romance, neither of us is "into" each other on an emotional level.
Neither of us is particularly attracted to each other, but we can deal with each other-
and the alternative is having no physical contact with anyone, which I cannot live with.

I'd much rather be having a relationship (mentally & bodily) with a guy to whom I'm attracted and interested (and vice versa) who lives nearby-
but that has yet to work out for me, alas. In the meantime, I make do with a less than ideal "connection".

Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,035,947 times
Why are you giving such advice? Like you really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What is the non-offensive way to broach the subject?
Let those intentions be known at the very beginning. Even before the first 'date'

Or do you always want to be the one who brings it up?
Depends on the individuals involved but the guy should be straight forward about the type of 'relationship' he is seeking

Or is nothing potentially offensive?
I do not personally believe in FWB but I would appreciate the honesty up front

How did your past FWB relationships start?
Never have/never will

What would be the ideal beginning of a future one?
N/A

Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,493,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
We get a lot of posts here from guys saying they want an FWB, but that they think if they suggest it to a woman she will be offended.

We also get a lot of posts from women talking about happy FWB relationships they have had.

So, women, what is the non-offensive way to broach the subject? Or do you always want to be the one who brings it up? Or is nothing potentially offensive? How did your past FWB relationships start? What would be the ideal beginning of a future one?

No offence meant, are you a woman or a man? Your user name suggests woman. Yet some of your posts suggest man.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,153,376 times
Not into them at all.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,051,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
No offence meant, are you a woman or a man? Your user name suggests woman. Yet some of your posts suggest man.
I'm a woman, but very pro men. Most of us feminists are .

I started the thread because I want to help the guys here.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 PM

62 posts, read 78,159 times
Do not cheat woman. Be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships